Perineural catheter placement for total shoulders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nopain1234

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Our new ortho is requesting we place catheters for all total reverse shoulders. We clearly do interscalenes often. Is there anything special in terms of placing the catheter? Do you guys block first the traditional way, then place catheter, then turn on OnQ prior to discharge?

Appreciate any helpful tips my program didn’t routinely do these

Members don't see this ad.

10 cc 0.5 ropi into space thru 17g touhy. thread catheter . bolus 10 more cc 0.5 ropi thru catheter to make sure in place. start on-q in pacu

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
10 cc 0.5 ropi into space thru 17g touhy. thread catheter . bolus 10 more cc 0.5 ropi thru catheter to make sure in place. start on-q in pacu
This is one of many ways to do this successfully. What I would add is that you should secure the hell out of the catheter, including dermabonding the catheter exit site unless you want to receive a million phone calls about leakage.

Reactions: 2 users
We stopped using catheters 2-3 years ago and now do our blocks with Exparel. Unless you’re leaving the catheters in more than 3 days, the Exparel is a great option (speaking from personal experience with both).

We stopped using catheters 2-3 years ago and now do our blocks with Exparel. Unless you’re leaving the catheters in more than 3 days, the Exparel is a great option (speaking from personal experience with both).

Yeah heard from surgeons that they can last up to 72 hours with good pain relief. But pharmacy cracked down on exparel due to cost so now patients can suffer 48 hours earlier I guess.

I usually try to put needle to anterior surface of plexus (from posterior approach) and then bolus about 15-20 ml of local through needle and then thread catheter. I do that so just in case catheter pulls back a little it is theoretically still functional. Then mastisol the heck out of it and tape it down good (although have to make sure you are taping up and away from surgical site) and hook up to OnQ in PACU. Although since I loaded it with local, can actually wait to turn on OnQ to closer to discharge home so it will last longer.

Our new ortho is requesting we place catheters for all total reverse shoulders. We clearly do interscalenes often. Is there anything special in terms of placing the catheter? Do you guys block first the traditional way, then place catheter, then turn on OnQ prior to discharge?

we also have stopped doing them.

i used to put a stitch in the skin to hold the catheter in place after some that dislodged and caused issues.

i do the block normally through the tuohy, then place the catheter.

i give a little air bolus to help guide my placement.

i was taught and i still believe that you dont rely on that catheter. it has such high potential to move and be not effective, but its hard for the patient to tell since the blocks last so long nowaadays anyhow.

Placed quite a few in training. As mentioned, lots of derma bond, steri-strips, mastisol -- whatever you need to do to keep catheter in place. We would frequently tunnel them posteriorly too. Make sure the catheter isn't in the middle of your final dressing. I would always have the catheter at the very edge of the dressing as I had quite a few dressings get wrecked by surgery team that left my catheter exposed.

Catheters are absolutely awful. They leak at the insertion site because your needle hole is bigger than the catheter. I don't care what you do to secure them, short of tunnelling the catheter, which we often do, they are going to get pulled out at a high rate. The patient moving from the stretcher to the OR table is enough to pull the catheter out of the neck. Let alone positioning, transfer to pacu, them putting on the should brace, getting the patient dressed. On non tunneled catheters we had a 30% pull rate. And the conversation with the patient that they still get to pay for that $1000 On-Q ball even though they only had it attached for an hour is a fun one to have.

We have thankfully agreed to go single shot from now on. It took 90 seconds to actually do the block and 7 minutes to secure it. Incredible waste of time for not much gain.

Reactions: 1 users
Catheters are absolutely awful. They leak at the insertion site because your needle hole is bigger than the catheter. I don't care what you do to secure them, short of tunnelling the catheter, which we often do, they are going to get pulled out at a high rate. The patient moving from the stretcher to the OR table is enough to pull the catheter out of the neck. Let alone positioning, transfer to pacu, them putting on the should brace, getting the patient dressed. On non tunneled catheters we had a 30% pull rate. And the conversation with the patient that they still get to pay for that $1000 On-Q ball even though they only had it attached for an hour is a fun one to have.

We have thankfully agreed to go single shot from now on. It took 90 seconds to actually do the block and 7 minutes to secure it. Incredible waste of time for not much gain.

our catheter leak/failure rate is miniscule. I've had one pulled out prior to d/c (and I do them preop) in the last 10 years.

our catheter leak/failure rate is miniscule. I've had one pulled out prior to d/c (and I do them preop) in the last 10 years.
I'd love to hear how you secure them. If we don't tunnel them I use surgical glue at the insertion site, let it dry completely. Then steri strip x2 in alternating directions with surgical glue over them, let it dry. Tegaderm over that. Tension loops x3 over the length of the catheter. They still get pulled out. If it isn't the staff, the patient accidently do it themselves. All catheters independent of location get pulled. What is your follow up like with these patients?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to hear how you secure them. If we don't tunnel them I use surgical glue at the insertion site, let it dry completely. Then steri strip x2 in alternating directions with surgical glue over them, let it dry. Tegaderm over that. Tension loops x3 over the length of the catheter. They still get pulled out. If it isn't the staff, the patient accidently do it themselves. All catheters independent of location get pulled. What is your follow up like with these patients?

mastisol and steristrips and tegaderm. We have acute pain service round in the morning on everybody in house (including overnight observation that hadn't yet gone home) as well as daily phone call follow up from home til Q-ball empty. I literally can't remember the last one that fell out.

mastisol and steristrips and tegaderm. We have acute pain service round in the morning on everybody in house (including overnight observation that hadn't yet gone home) as well as daily phone call follow up from home til Q-ball empty. I literally can't remember the last one that fell out.
Private practice acute pain service? What alternate universe are you in?

Private practice acute pain service? What alternate universe are you in?

high enough volume and the reimbursement from daily rounds offsets NP costs and makes hospital happy

Who pays for the NP? How many catheters need rounding on each day?

we pay, 5-10 catheters per day plus they can also do pain consults. Mostly a break even financially but keeps things happy.

Found the pajunk needle + catheter combo does not have the same leakage issues. 10 cc of 0.5% Bupi to block, thread catheter, 5 cc under U/S to confirm placement. Then dermabond, steristrip, tegaderm, tape, label the crap out of it.

In residency, we had someone try to induce propofol through it despite the giant yellow tag and air filter....they were special

• Haha
Found the pajunk needle + catheter combo does not have the same leakage issues. 10 cc of 0.5% Bupi to block, thread catheter, 5 cc under U/S to confirm placement. Then dermabond, steristrip, tegaderm, tape, label the crap out of it.

In residency, we had someone try to induce propofol through it despite the giant yellow tag and air filter....they were special

So what happened? I know that spinal txa is no bueno

that’s bizarre that they want a catheter. 1) unless the patient is a chronic pain patient or there is some other special circumstance, my upper extremity ortho guys tell me that total shoulders really aren’t that painful (like, shoulder scopes hurt more), 2) single shot bupivacaine with adjuvants like decadron will buy you 24h+ of pain relief, more than enough time to get them out of the hospital, get them home, and start their oral pain regimen, 3) the time it takes to educate patients on it, place it, secure it, follow up with them etc just isn’t worth the incremental benefit they may get, 4) multimodal analgesia is the way to go.

And not to rehash an old debate, but I’m surprised people are still using Exparel for nerve blocks given what the non-industry funded studies show about its efficacy :heckyeah:

that’s bizarre that they want a catheter. 1) unless the patient is a chronic pain patient or there is some other special circumstance, my upper extremity ortho guys tell me that total shoulders really aren’t that painful (like, shoulder scopes hurt more), 2) single shot bupivacaine with adjuvants like decadron will buy you 24h+ of pain relief, more than enough time to get them out of the hospital, get them home, and start their oral pain regimen, 3) the time it takes to educate patients on it, place it, secure it, follow up with them etc just isn’t worth the incremental benefit they may get, 4) multimodal analgesia is the way to go.

And not to rehash an old debate, but I’m surprised people are still using Exparel for nerve blocks given what the non-industry funded studies show about its efficacy :heckyeah:

in my experience the total shoulder patients hurt way more than arthroscopies and they also tend to be a significantly older and more decrepit patient population that is less likely to tolerate much narcotic

in my experience the total shoulder patients hurt way more than arthroscopies and they also tend to be a significantly older and more decrepit patient population that is less likely to tolerate much narcotic

I have no firsthand knowledge, but I’ve talked to my upper extremity orthopods extensively about this and they unanimously say that TSAs aren’t as painful as arthroscopies. Maybe they mean in the long run? Also, just hypothesizing, your experience may be colored by the fact that an interscalene block may not cover the whole operative area with TSAs, but with a shoulder scope it does?

Normally, regardless TSA v shoulder scope, if your block is good, the patient is getting discharged with 0/10 pain.

I've read the studies and am not a believer in exparel in general but one of surgeons that request it says his patients get 72 hours sometimes.

I also think that hip and shoulder scopes are way more painful than the totals. It's really interesting. Maybe all the swelling from the fluid?

I did three this am, really like the pajunk system…. Will let you know how they go.

How long are your guys blocks lasting with exparel?
Reliably 48 hours for interscalene blocks (20 0.5% bupi + 20 exparel). Up to 72 hours in some cases.

Edit: bupi not ropi

Last edited:
I have no firsthand knowledge, but I’ve talked to my upper extremity orthopods extensively about this and they unanimously say that TSAs aren’t as painful as arthroscopies. Maybe they mean in the long run? Also, just hypothesizing, your experience may be colored by the fact that an interscalene block may not cover the whole operative area with TSAs, but with a shoulder scope it does?

Normally, regardless TSA v shoulder scope, if your block is good, the patient is getting discharged with 0/10 pain.

patients that are not candidates for regional or have a failed regional technique scream a lot more after a total shoulder than a rotator cuff

patients that are not candidates for regional or have a failed regional technique scream a lot more after a total shoulder than a rotator cuff

Got it. Anecdotal screams in the PACU versus upper extremity orthopedic surgeons’ experiences with their patients. Lol

In any event, as I said, they may be talking long term vs periop.

Additionally, it still doesn’t justify interscalene catheter use since it is wholly unnecessary in 99.9% of patients.

where i am most catheters are placed because surgeons request them, not really because I want to place them. if it were up to me I'd do nothing but single shots. i don't believe shouler arthoplasty hurts as much or as long as shoulder arthroscopy. catheters have an extremely high failure rate as just about any movement after it's secured can lead to failure.

Last edited:
Got it. Anecdotal screams in the PACU versus upper extremity orthopedic surgeons’ experiences with their patients. Lol

In any event, as I said, they may be talking long term vs periop.

Additionally, it still doesn’t justify interscalene catheter use since it is wholly unnecessary in 99.9% of patients.

in my experience the orthopedic surgeons don't see the patients postop until 2+ weeks later and probably their PA seeing them at that point. They literally have no idea how much anything hurts.

Reliably 48 hours for interscalene blocks (20 0.5% bupi + 20 exparel). Up to 72 hours in some cases.

I'm pretty tired, but I don't understand this. Surely you aren't putting 40cc's into the interscalene space. Milligrams doesn't make sense either.

catheters have an extremely high failure rate as just about any movement after it's secured can lead to failure.

Thank you. Someone saying they've had 1 failed catheter in 10 years makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I routinely place 10-12 interscalene catheters in a day when our two busy shoulder guys are on. And out of 12, there are always 2 that get accidentally yanked out before they make it to POD 1.

All day everyday haha
I love seeing the widely different way we all do things. I probably wouldn't put that much volume into somewhat of a tight space since it's just going to spread up and down, but I'm glad to hear you get great results with it.

I love seeing the widely different way we all do things. I probably wouldn't put that much volume into somewhat of a tight space since it's just going to spread up and down, but I'm glad to hear you get great results with it.
I agree it’s probably a bit overkill and it definitely spreads up and down but we use the block as the primary anesthetic (native airway) for antsy surgeons who are testing your block 5 minutes after you put the needle down so the carpet bomb approach tends to work out well.

I agree it’s probably a bit overkill and it definitely spreads up and down but we use the block as the primary anesthetic (native airway) for antsy surgeons who are testing your block 5 minutes after you put the needle down so the carpet bomb approach tends to work out well.
Not sure if srs. Are you blocking the patient in the room after they are prepped and draped?

Not sure if srs. Are you blocking the patient in the room after they are prepped and draped?
:lol: Only half serious. Block in preop but they really do come and check for dense motor block and an easy way to make them happy is to have a fast setting block. Irrational creatures, they often judge your competence on that one metric. Work with some surgeons who are doing 90 minute total shoulders and often we are not ready to block until they are scrubbing out of the prior case.

Thank you. Someone saying they've had 1 failed catheter in 10 years makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I routinely place 10-12 interscalene catheters in a day when our two busy shoulder guys are on. And out of 12, there are always 2 that get accidentally yanked out before they make it to POD 1.
Thems Blade-like numbers!

Granted I don't do a lot of ortho, but I don't think I've done 10-12 blocks in the last month. :)

:lol: Only half serious. Block in preop but they really do come and check for dense motor block and an easy way to make them happy is to have a fast setting block. Irrational creatures, they often judge your competence on that one metric. Work with some surgeons who are doing 90 minute total shoulders and often we are not ready to block until they are scrubbing out of the prior case.

I do 20 cc in the room preinduction and it never fails to set up by incision
I don't see the advantage of doing this block in the preop area. Very superficial, easy to see, lots of stuff in the general vicinity. In the room to ready to go in under 10 minutes.

I don't see the advantage of doing this block in the preop area. Very superficial, easy to see, lots of stuff in the general vicinity. In the room to ready to go in under 10 minutes.
Doing it during room turnover saves a few min in OR.

Because when you run around like a chicken all day it helps to do a block ahead of time so that you don't get pulled away right before you do the block.

Thems Blade-like numbers!

Granted I don't do a lot of ortho, but I don't think I've done 10-12 blocks in the last month. :)
This is me speaking as a resident on the acute pain service where we routinely do about 40 blocks per week. When I'm off service I may do 2-3 a week.

What kind of local

What kind of local

I used to use bupi 0.5 but switched to ropi 0.5. The duration is definitely way shorter but I've had a few people complain about not being able to move their arm postop including one lawyer who came to the ed for it despite being fully informed.

The volume you are putting in has little relation to how quickly the block sets up. If you want a block to set up quickly, add a touch of bicarb into the local mixture. The time to block is related to how quickly the local anesthetic diffuses into the nerve sheath, which is related to the pH. 99% of the volume you put in isn’t even in contact with the nerve sheath (and therefore has no relation to how quickly your block sets up).

Additionally, with 40 ml (which is way too much IMO), you are 100% getting not only phrenic nerve blockade with every interscalene block, but also probably a Horner’s syndrome, sympathectomy, etc. I would use less if I were you.

I used to use bupi 0.5 but switched to ropi 0.5. The duration is definitely way shorter but I've had a few people complain about not being able to move their arm postop including one lawyer who came to the ed for it despite being fully informed.

I’m pretty sure you would get motor blockade with 0.5% ropi as well, no??

And your patients must be extra special if they come back to the ED for not being able to move their arm following discharge, though it’s exactly like that when they leave the PACU…

Last edited:

E1F87DFF-25CE-41D3-84CB-67BAA20C4CB8.png

Not only are you exceeding toxic dose, as someone else pointed out, there is a much higher chance of unwanted side effects. I can’t imagine using 40 ml of LA for an ISB. If you ever have LAST, how would you defend this practice?

In fellowship we'd place the block in the preop area and start the OnQ pump during the case after positioning. Our surgeons preferred beach chair, so it was it just easier to hook it up after all the acrobatics. We'd use Mepivacaine to place the catheter for 1) quick verification that the block was working and 2) have surgical block for the procedure. Our OnQ infusions would be 0.2% Ropivacaine at 6 cc/hr. Catheter would be preinserted into tuohey needle, inserted into skin to desired location (usually deep to C6 nerve roots), once local spread sufficient, catheter could be threaded. Takes some practice, but you can do it all with one hand while visualizing the catheter placement on US. In terms of securing. Dermabond the insertion site to minimize leakage, wrap the catheter below the neck around to the contralateral shoulder and secure it down on the chest just below the clavicle. Lots of tegaderm. In fellowship, had maybe 4-5 catheters fail, only a few got pulled prematurely. For our RCR/TSA, it wasn't uncommon for our patients to have zero pain for 3 days...

PS Exparel is for suckers..