Perio/Prosth - 3 completely different cities to choose from

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biowidth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, ....time flies when you're having fun...finally I'm graduating in June 2014 and haven't made up my mind yet about where to go after the residency. My possible choices are 1) The Chicago Area 2) Dallas, TX 3) Seattle, WA. The funny part - I've never even been to 1) & 2)

So any input is greatly appreciated (except about the weather)
I could consult on many other subjects in return:) (NERB, NBDE, residency, Perio, Prosth, Spear Study Club, licensure, reciprocity etc))))

PS I'm a Perio / Prosth to be. Could easily limit my practice to Perio, providing strong support to the restorative team on many levels.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, ....time flies when you're having fun...finally I'm graduating in June 2014 and haven't made up my mind yet about where to go after the residency. My possible choices are 1) The Chicago Area 2) Dallas, TX 3) Seattle, WA. The funny part - I've never even been to 1) & 2)

I could consult on many other subjects in return:) (NERB, NBDE, residency, Perio, Prosth, Spear Study Club, licensure, reciprocity etc))))

PS I'm a Perio / Prosth to be. Could easily limit my practice to Perio, providing strong support to the restorative team on many levels.

go semi-rural, theres more than enough perio/omfs in those areas... go where you're needing and not just a number. plus you have a **** ton of debt

Do you have positions lined up or are you doing a cold start? I'm in perio residency right now in Dallas, and the market for perio here is saturated. If you're wanting to come to TX you'll have to move outside of the city 20-30 miles. I spent about 2 months in Seattle last year and loved it. I've heard from past graduates of my dental school that dentists up there like to do everything......especially since the assistant/hygienists are allowed to restore direct restorations which frees up the dentists schedule. As far as Chicago, I've never been. I have a few friends up there, one is a GP, and its pretty saturated too.

I vote Seattle, my two cents, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Truly appreciate your input, Quattro! I'm doing a cold start with some potential opportunities. I have a vision of: Plan A) working part time for a few places and renting space somewhere else, building up my own patient pool B) Starting as an associate and eventually buying-in
What do you have in mind?

In terms of saturation - 20-30 miles don't scare me at all, I'm not desperate to practice on Broad (street) so to speak))

How is Dallas overall? Where are you from originally?

How is Dallas overall? Where are you from originally?

I'm from AZ and as of right now I do not plan on practicing in TX, actually thinking about Pittsburgh, PA. Dallas is a decent city. It's very metropolitan, not the stereotypical image when you think of TX. I was in Philly a few weeks back for the AAP and Dallas definitely different, and is a little more spread out in comparison.

Oh, and I'm not sure how the laws are in PA, but hygienists here cannot give anesthesia. So every time they need to numb a patient you have to stop what you're doing and give their patient anesthesia. Again, not a big deal but something to consider.

According to my brief google search, they can in PA (a special permit). A very good point though! About Philly - what you saw was just the central part of the city, you can easily drive for 20-25 min on I-95 and then get off to, let's say, NE part of Philadelphia. However, I've heard roads are much better in Dallas

Last edited:

Since your Perio/Prosth......can you please tell me about your residency experience thus far? I am a first year dental student and I am heavily considering doing Prosth residency. Also is there a significant benefit to doing a Perio/prosth residency? I know more and more Prosth programs are adding implants to their curriculum, so what would be the major motivator for a dual residency in Perio/Prosth?

thanks!

So , Bmx, where's your input on my Q? Kidding)) All programs are different, but the good ones might be alike..the question is how to compare them objectively and make the right choice for yourself. I've heard stories from other residents when all they did during the first year was only Lab research (Perio), or Dental Lab (Prosth), or when Prosth and Perio are in different buildings and rarely physically meet... however some programs are very clinically oriented and, as you mentioned, have a very strong emphasis on Perio/Implants. Historically UPenn has a very strong reputation for Perio/Prosth, but there is a 4-year commitment and a price tag for that... One could do a 3-year Prosth and then a 1-year fellowship in Perio (and get payed most likely) somewhere else... From my own experience UNC Prosth (where I also applied to) - is one of those places (strictly 3 residents per year, very reasonable tuition, hard to get accepted). My other buddy did Prosth at LSU and is in his Perio fellowship now (his tuition was a joke). In a long run, I don't have the answer for you, because I haven't started practicing in the US yet , but sometimes it's not only about the dentistry...for instance I met a lot of friends here from Wharton through sports (also UPenn) whom I wouldn't have met if I'd gone to a residency somewhere else...A lot of thoughts)))

Last edited:
So , Bmx, where's your input on my Q? Kidding)) All programs are different, but the good ones might be alike..the question is how to compare them objectively and make the right choice for yourself. I've heard stories from other residents when all they did during the first year was only Lab research (Perio), or Dental Lab (Prosth), or when Prosth and Perio are in different buildings and rarely physically meet... however some programs are very clinically oriented and, as you mentioned, have a very strong emphasis on Perio/Implants. Historically UPenn has a very strong reputation for Perio/Prosth, but there is a 4-year commitment and a price tag for that... One could do a 3-year Prosth and then a 1-year fellowship in Perio (and get payed most likely) somewhere else... From my own experience UNC Prosth (where I also applied to) - is one of those places (strictly 3 residents per year, very reasonable tuition, hard to get accepted). My other buddy did Prosth at LSU and is in his Perio fellowship now (his tuition was a joke). In a long run, I don't have the answer for you, because I haven't started practicing in the US yet , but sometimes it's not only about the dentistry...for instance I met a lot of friends here from Wharton through sports (also UPenn) whom I wouldn't have met if I'd gone to a residency somewhere else...A lot of thoughts)))

Thank you for the advice. I wish I could help answer your question, but since I'm only a first year dental student I don't know too much on good areas to set up a practice.

Take it easy, no worries. Feel free to share your progress in future

Hello, everyone. If anyone cares - I ended up in Chicago, IL. Super happy with my part-time as a Periodontist in Glenview (suburbs) and exploring other options as well. Lots of marketing efforts but - it can be fun if you like meeting new people and open to new experiences. Yes - I know - winter is gonna be cold)) Let me know if anyone is in the Chicago area. Cheers!