Peripheral Catheter Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GA8314

Regaining my sanity
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do for follow up for your catheters, when sending home? Inpatient? Do you have an anesthesiologist or nurse do post-op rounds for inpatients?

Do you call an outpatient every post-op day that they are likely to have a catheter in place, or just the first day?

Members don't see this ad.

MD only practice -- the guys in my group personally follow any inpatients they have that have peripheral catheters. (We do have a separate guy just following the epidural pts). Sometimes they don't actually see the pt daily but just talk to the attending surgeon or fellows about when to pull it etc.

Our group rarely does catheters that go home. If they did, the doc who placed it would follow up by phone. If I sent one home, I would call them daily until it's out.

I'm thinking of joining an orthopedic surgery group as their pain physician and they asked me if I would be able to start a peripheral nerve catheter program for them. Their anesthesiology group has no interest in monitoring them at home. How feasible is it for one person to manage a program? It seems like there would be problems with coverage down the line.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of joining an orthopedic surgery group as their pain physician and they asked me if I would be able to start a peripheral nerve catheter program for them. Their anesthesiology group has no interest them at homein monitoring . How feasible is it for one person to manage a program? It seems like there would be problems with coverage down the line.

Sounds like a group not too interested in their own survival.... So, they place them, but refuse to follow them?

Sounds like a group not too interested in their own survival.... So, they place them, but refuse to follow them?

Whoops that was a bad typo. No, it sounds like no one gets a peripheral nerve catheter placed because there's no follow up plan. They get other regional no problem.

Whoops that was a bad typo. No, it sounds like no one gets a peripheral nerve catheter placed because there's no follow up plan. They get other regional no problem.