Perks of being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I always opt to walk more. Parking close gets your car dinged and is just annoying to get involved in the trolling for a spot.

Encourage your patients to park farther away. I bet you and some of them can all walk a couple more feet.

Exercise is medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I always opt to walk more. Parking close gets your car dinged and is just annoying to get involved in the trolling for a spot.

Encourage your patients to park farther away. I bet you and some of them can all walk a couple more feet.

Exercise is medicine.
Yes, I agree... I love long walks:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
So yesterday afternoon I was rounding at one of our community hospitals on one of my ICU patients. My guy was doing fine, but next door there was a crowd of people frantically running around. They were obviously about to intubate the patient and nurses were on either side of the patient frantically jabbing his arms trying to get IVs, their pressure monitor showed a systolic in the 80s. Turns out that a hip replacement from 30 minutes ago was tanking and bleeding heavily out of their incisions. Little, tiny 88 year old without arm veins. I grabbed a cordis kit and art-line kit and started setting up. Before starting I put my phone on speaker and handed it to one of the nurses and told them to call the OR. I asked them to open the hybrid room and to expect us in 15 minutes. I then asked them to call the blood bank and to have 6/6/1 waiting for us in the operating room. Lastly, I had them call an attending that I knew was somewhere between the parking lot and the highway away from the hospital and asked him to come back. By the time I finished that phone call I was prepped, draped and throwing lines in the patient. We rolled into the OR and I was starting my groin stick as my attending walked into the control room. Less than an hour and 14 coils later the patient lost most of their profunda, but was stable and headed back to the ICU.

Long story short? Perk of being a doctor? Getting to feel like a complete bad-ass every once in a while.

On the other hand, I was late for dinner and my wife was not pleased since I had texted her at 5pm saying that I had one more ICU patient to see and then was driving home.

Unfortunately, I've had many relationships end because the other person has no idea what we do. It is amazing how we can walk into a room and turn a tragedy into a success. It's amazing. That patient's family may never get to know the work you did and the hours of training it took to secure access and get the ball rolling, but they will be thankful their relative is alive.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest being a paramedic requires much less schooling and student loans, and for some reason female ER nurses have a huge thing for them. Typically they want to marry a doctor, but constantly seek to hook up with paramedics no matter how ugly or out of shape they are...
I've observed this as well. Never quite got it. Are paramedics like the "bad boys" of healthcare or something .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sooner you realize girls hook up with guys based on their looks (and not their jobs), the easier everything is to understand.

Reactions: 1 user
So yesterday afternoon I was rounding at one of our community hospitals on one of my ICU patients. My guy was doing fine, but next door there was a crowd of people frantically running around. They were obviously about to intubate the patient and nurses were on either side of the patient frantically jabbing his arms trying to get IVs, their pressure monitor showed a systolic in the 80s. Turns out that a hip replacement from 30 minutes ago was tanking and bleeding heavily out of their incisions. Little, tiny 88 year old without arm veins. I grabbed a cordis kit and art-line kit and started setting up. Before starting I put my phone on speaker and handed it to one of the nurses and told them to call the OR. I asked them to open the hybrid room and to expect us in 15 minutes. I then asked them to call the blood bank and to have 6/6/1 waiting for us in the operating room. Lastly, I had them call an attending that I knew was somewhere between the parking lot and the highway away from the hospital and asked him to come back. By the time I finished that phone call I was prepped, draped and throwing lines in the patient. We rolled into the OR and I was starting my groin stick as my attending walked into the control room. Less than an hour and 14 coils later the patient lost most of their profunda, but was stable and headed back to the ICU.

Long story short? Perk of being a doctor? Getting to feel like a complete bad-ass every once in a while.

On the other hand, I was late for dinner and my wife was not pleased since I had texted her at 5pm saying that I had one more ICU patient to see and then was driving home.

Bronchoscoping for mucus plugs to open an atelectatic lung is definitely not as glamorous or exciting, but it's strangely satisfying to feel the mucus plugs course through the scope..... haha

You get pestered by relatives, friends and acquaintances for medical advice. This starts as soon as you're accepted: "Dagrimsta, Uncle Kim has cancer...what do you know about that?"
I've started telling anyone that asks me for medical advice to ask for a cremaster reflex test the next time they go in for a checkup.

Reactions: 2 users