Persistent creatine kinase elevation following NMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get your opinions on this case. Case involves a 20 year old man with schizophrenia who was fairly treatment naive. Psychosis started over the last 6 months. He was previously on short trials of Zyprexa, but would stop after a few days of hospital discharge and end up getting rehospitalized. He was switched to Invega during his last hospital stay which was helpful. He transitioned to Sustenna, receiving the initial 234 and 156 loading doses; he stabilized and discharged.

Unfortunately, he developed NMS shortly after, was medically hospitalized, and the anti-psychotic was stopped. Now medically stable, transferred to the psychiatric unit. Creatine Kinase has remained mildly elevated, ranging from 500-2000 over the last 3 weeks. He is now approximately 4 weeks out from the initial NMS presentation and restarting an antipsychotic has not occurred with CK still elevated. He is getting scheduled benzodiazepines for control of anxiety/irritability, and for sedation because he is very psychotic and angry that he is in the hospital.

He is not overexerting himself or engaging in any physical activity that could account for this ongoing CK elevation, I don't think. He does pace the hallway listening to music, but no more than a typical patient. Outside of CK elevation he has no other symptoms of NMS, cbc/cmp normal, no fever, no rigidity, vitals stable/normal.

I'm interested in opinions on this case. Could the Invega Sustenna be causing ongoing low level CK elevation. He is about 6-7 weeks out from the 156 mg loading dose, but Invega Sustenna takes several months to completely clear from the body, and there is likely still some amount of the medication present in very low amounts even 48 weeks out after initial loading doses (this is based on the manufacturers website).

Could the ongoing CK elevation be accounted for with him simply pacing the halls listening to music?

Ideally his CK would fall into the normal range for some time before moving forward with restarting an antipsychotic. How would you proceed in this situation? How long have you seen elevated CK following NMS?

Planning to reengage the hospitalists with this patient to assure no other medical issues might be causing CK elevation.

Members don't see this ad.

hypothyroid is my first thought for something NOT related to the NMS, but I know yall would have checked that

sounds like some rhabdo from the NMS, did he really get enough fluids to clear his kidneys? if you don't aggressively treat rhabdo well enough I'm not sure how long those CK levels stay up

come to think of it, even those treated adequately will still have elevated values for quite some time, weeks even

stop checking the CK. it has no utility whatsoever in predicting NMS. he's young, make and getting injections all reason enough for an elevated CK. if he's black, muscular and physically active you have even more reasons.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
stop checking the CK. it has no utility whatsoever in predicting NMS. he's young, make and getting injections all reason enough for an elevated CK. if he's black, muscular and physically active you have even more reasons.

I'm not sure the injections can account for the CK, but I think you're right that it's sorta pointless now in the absence of NMS symptoms and if you rule out other causes of elevated CK that are actually bad, then yeah, I would think it's just residual and gonna resolve

how's the Cr look?

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts
1) Was it really NMS? Please give a summary of the clinical syndrome. The differential is quite broad, and I'd like to know that more common things were ruled out. If he's that psychotic (assuming the dx of schizophrenia is correct and it's not something "organic") he should be able to tolerate the D2 Blockade of Invega Sustenna loading dose. I tend to conceptualize NMS as "end stage" EPS (total D2 blockade)
2) 100% agree with Splik. STOP trending CKs. It's a meaningless number in a case like this. If his kidneys are working then you are good.

Reactions: 2 users

and/or thin :)

Without other symptoms of NMS now, I think it might be reasonable to go ahead and restart antipsychotic medication as he's clearly going to need it to get better without them. Is he willing to take oral medications? Clozapine trial?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. The initial NMS presentation included him acting strangely in a local store, confused, telling people he was feeling muscle cramping/pain the 2 days leading up to this. He presented febrile, wbc 17000, hpyertensive/tachycardic. He was brought to the hospital by ambulance with confusion and initial CK around 18,000, actually jumped to over 100,000 the next day, then dropped over the next several days. Creatine is normal, entire cmp is normal, cbc normal.

So, there is no benefit to checking CK levels following re-initiation of an antipsychotic? Should just be watching closely for return of NMS symptoms?

Considering clozaril or seroquel, as the resources say to sick with a low potency medication.

My guess is that he still might have some Invega floating around, which is partially contributing to the persistently elevated CK, among the other reasons already mentioned above.

Agree with clozaril trial. Poor guy, but interesting case.

Track the man's pacing distance with a fit bit and give him some Gatorade

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Track the man's pacing distance with a fit bit and give him some Gatorade

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I don't think the hospital has budget for the fit bit after the Ortho surgery wing expansion.

Reactions: 1 users
The strongest correlate for successful re-challenge of neuroleptics after NMS is time off neuroleptics. The smallest window suggested is 2 weeks free of NMS symptoms. I agree with the Sustenna floating around part. Your problem is declaring this patient NMS free.

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. The initial NMS presentation included him acting strangely in a local store, confused, telling people he was feeling muscle cramping/pain the 2 days leading up to this. He presented febrile, wbc 17000, hpyertensive/tachycardic. He was brought to the hospital by ambulance with confusion and initial CK around 18,000, actually jumped to over 100,000 the next day, then dropped over the next several days. Creatine is normal, entire cmp is normal, cbc normal.

So, there is no benefit to checking CK levels following re-initiation of an antipsychotic? Should just be watching closely for return of NMS symptoms?

Considering clozaril or seroquel, as the resources say to sick with a low potency medication.

Still not convinced 100% that this is NMS- we see this presentation all the time with synthetic cannabinoids (and whatever is in them), bath salts, etc. Did he get dopamine agonist treatment or dantrolene? Was he rigid on initial exam? Not sure I trust the "2 days" assuming he was delirious when he said it.

If he's not going to take Zyprexa, why would he take Seroquel or Clozapine? (yes I know Seroquel's street value and how much ASPDs love it). Why not try challenging with small doses of Haldol to prepare for the D shot? You have a lot of flexibility with the dosing since the relative half life is 3 weeks. I would still respect NMS as a strong consideration, but if you get him stabilized on oral Haldol with no EPS you can do like 5x dosing for the D and go from there.

Still not convinced 100% that this is NMS- we see this presentation all the time with synthetic cannabinoids (and whatever is in them), bath salts, etc. Did he get dopamine agonist treatment or dantrolene? Was he rigid on initial exam? Not sure I trust the "2 days" assuming he was delirious when he said it.

If he's not going to take Zyprexa, why would he take Seroquel or Clozapine? (yes I know Seroquel's street value and how much ASPDs love it). Why not try challenging with small doses of Haldol to prepare for the D shot? You have a lot of flexibility with the dosing since the relative half life is 3 weeks. I would still respect NMS as a strong consideration, but if you get him stabilized on oral Haldol with no EPS you can do like 5x dosing for the D and go from there.

I would, respectfully, disagree. This guy has a pretty classic NMS presentation, with classic sx, hard signs, extreme CK elevation and was in the high risk time period of new exposure to antipsychotics with a pretty strong dopamine blockade.

Given that he likely had NMS, I would talk to him about the severity of his presentation and see if he has any further insight into illness. For some patients, going through that experience, even if psychotic, can lead to improved insight and possibility to trialing clozapine. If he is incapable of insight and actively psychotic, a trial of ECT is reasonable to get some further time out from NMS before retrial of antipsychotics. Assuming he failed olanzapine due to non-compliance, a trial of olanzapine pamoate after tolerating PO olanzapine on the unit is reasonable but I would be loathe to jam a LAI into this guy soon after that NMS episode.

I would, respectfully, disagree. This guy has a pretty classic NMS presentation, with classic sx, hard signs, extreme CK elevation and was in the high risk time period of new exposure to antipsychotics with a pretty strong dopamine blockade.

Given that he likely had NMS, I would talk to him about the severity of his presentation and see if he has any further insight into illness. For some patients, going through that experience, even if psychotic, can lead to improved insight and possibility to trialing clozapine. If he is incapable of insight and actively psychotic, a trial of ECT is reasonable to get some further time out from NMS before retrial of antipsychotics. Assuming he failed olanzapine due to non-compliance, a trial of olanzapine pamoate after tolerating PO olanzapine on the unit is reasonable but I would be loathe to jam a LAI into this guy soon after that NMS episode.
No ECT available around here unfortunately. A scheduled weekend lab draw came back with CK around 3700 a few days ago.

Solid points. Here is my counter:

1) I obviously haven't seen this patient and don't have access to the history, but NMS gets misdiagnosed all the time (meaning, people call someone NMS because he or she is on an antipsychotic without thinking about other things especially in the ICU). Yes his presentation has all the signs, but the presence of an antipsychotic (implying causality) is the only feature that is specific. I would strongly consider synthetic weed/bath salts/etc while SIMULTANEOUSLY respecting the diagnosis of NMS (do not likely need the workup for other things since it got better pretty quickly, but I would still keep them in mind). This just gives me more comfort with re-initiating an antipsychotic

2) Agree with ECT... in theory (data seems to show it's especially useful for acute psychosis). But it would have to be involuntary (no way that patient will consent to treatment), and getting a judge to sign off on that is contingent upon you proving (depending on the state) that ECT is the most reasonable, least "extreme" (which I think is BS anyway) treatment. It's always in my bag of tricks, though.

3) Relprevv would be nice, but I have not seen it on formulary anywhere. Not even the private boutique practices in my city use it (to my knowledge). I think the post injection delirium/sedation thing still has people scared. And given that this guy probably has a dearth of resources (or lacks social support with insight), I highly doubt he has insurance (or even medicaid) that would pay for it.

4) Given that Invega Sustenna's apparent half life is 25-49 days, at a conservative guesstimate he would have 50% of the drug left in his body since you get to a rapid steady state with the 234/156 loading. I would feel OK with starting out with baby doses of Haldol (like 1-2mg HS) while monitoring for EPS, etc.

5) Utility of Clozapine is questionable in this case, but I would definitely keep it as an option. And I suspect his insight is not to the point where he would take it, possible NMS aside. Seeing that he improves on D2 blocking antipsychotics (albeit a little too much, possibly), the only advantage clozapine would confer would be lower risk of EPS than any other neuroleptic. If, however, you give him an adequate dose/duration of D2 blocking agents (without causing NMS again, naturally), and he still has refractory psychosis that is distressing to the point that he's willing to take oral meds, then I would do clozapine.

Muscular is enough. I just had to do a 24 hour CrCl to prove this to people who don't understand how steady state creatinine and creatinine kinase levels work.