Person statement length (less is more?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikil100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm about wrapped up on my application (a bit late, I know...) I have really been struggling with my personal statement. Anyways I had a pretty decent one that summed up everything, and it was around 4500 characters. I then had a family friend take a look, and he's really excellent at writing these things. He made quite a few suggestions, and it really took the PS to a whole new level. It was a much more interesting thing to read, and had a much more personal feel. It did not detract from anything I had to say, and I feel like it more succinctly described my life, my decision to be a doctor, and my unique position. I'm not going to go into details, but it is only 3100 characters. I really like how this PS feels. There is a couple extra things I want to add, but only a couple sentences worth. Is this going to be negatively reflected by Adcoms? It's not due to lack of trying, I've put a lot of time and effort into this. I've seen a few people here saying "you should use all 5300 to describe why you want to be a doc" etc etc. I've also heard the opposite end (from people who actually review Personal statements) and they seem to think less is more. Obviously in the latter instance n=1.

Anyone who actually reads these thing scare to give some input? I can private message the statement to those who are interested.

@Goro @gyngyn

Thank you for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to count characters. Length doesn't mean much of anything without any other kind of information. At the end of the day, if you're happy with your PS and you feel that it adequately responds to the prompt, then that's all that matters.

I will say, though, that if your "family friend" isn't particularly familiar with medical admissions or what a PS actually entails, then I would be somewhat weary about accepting his/her advice other than mechanical improvements (e.g., grammar, diction, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
"I really like how this PS feels"

Submit it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS's aren't like grant applications, where you have to use every available space. Just say what you want to say.

Hey guys, so I'm about wrapped up on my application (a bit late, I know...) I have really been struggling with my personal statement. Anyways I had a pretty decent one that summed up everything, and it was around 4500 characters. I then had a family friend take a look, and he's really excellent at writing these things. He made quite a few suggestions, and it really took the PS to a whole new level. It was a much more interesting thing to read, and had a much more personal feel. It did not detract from anything I had to say, and I feel like it more succinctly described my life, my decision to be a doctor, and my unique position. I'm not going to go into details, but it is only 3100 characters. I really like how this PS feels. There is a couple extra things I want to add, but only a couple sentences worth. Is this going to be negatively reflected by Adcoms? It's not due to lack of trying, I've put a lot of time and effort into this. I've seen a few people here saying "you should use all 5300 to describe why you want to be a doc" etc etc. I've also heard the opposite end (from people who actually review Personal statements) and they seem to think less is more. Obviously in the latter instance n=1.

Anyone who actually reads these thing scare to give some input? I can private message the statement to those who are interested.

@Goro @gyngyn

Thank you for the replies!

Thank you all for the replies! I am just anxious to get this submitted, and submitted with the best application I can!

No one is going to count characters. Length doesn't mean much of anything without any other kind of information. At the end of the day, if you're happy with your PS and you feel that it adequately responds to the prompt, then that's all that matters.

I will say, though, that if your "family friend" isn't particularly familiar with medical admissions or what a PS actually entails, then I would be somewhat weary about accepting his/her advice other than mechanical improvements (e.g., grammar, diction, etc.).

Thank you! He reviews the personal statements for would-be residents, although not for medical schools.

If you can succinctly express things it usually makes it a lot better than if it is long-winded to get to the same point. I've noticed in the few PS I've read for others they often have more that needs to be cut down vs things that need to be expanded on.

It sounds like your essay changes were made by someone who knows what they are doing, and they gave you a product you're proud of. I would definitely go with that.