General Admissions & OTCAS Personal statement advices...my experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orchid1980

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I finally submitted my application, after working on it since the end of July 2016. I want to share my best tips on how to write a killer PS...why? I am not an expert but as a non native speaker, mature student with lots of self-doubt about my writing skills, I have learned a lot through this hard process.

Tip 1 / meet with a professor, chat, brainstorm
Tip 2/ do a first sh**y draft
Tip 3/ research writing guides
Tip 4/ select a review committee
Tip 5/ Sweat ink and blood, write a new draft (Copyrighted appellation)
Tip 6/ Plan ahead (if you can!)

Tip one:
Brainstorm, meet and chat with one kind college professor who knows that you are applying and is supportive of your future career/ college choice.
When I met with the former professor who agreed to write one evaluation letter, the questions she asked me were very though provocative, challenging. I realized right there that a PS was more then a pretty narrative about why I wanted to pursue OT. I took notes about all our conservation and I was not afraid to show her that I was not getting it ...then she went on explaining more :). This teacher had experience in advising pre-med students in their application process.

Tip two:
When you are really inspired, just seat and write the whole thing in one session. It might be really bad for a first draft, but at least, you would have articulated some fundamental ideas and assembled the big rocks ..
I wrote my first draft the same day I met my professor.

Tip three:
Do an internet search on "writing a personal statement for medical school " Because, imo, there are far more resources for medical school students, you will find more pdf documents from major and heavy league universities' academic resource centers. I read and study from those

https://depts.washington.edu/psych/files/writing_center/personal.pdf
https://grad.ucla.edu/asis/agep/advsopstem.pdf
http://mcnair.ucsb.edu/documents/4.09DiversityForumResearcher.pdf
https://career.berkeley.edu/Grad/GradStatement

The informations on the structure, organization and rationale of the PS were like gold mines!! In my native language, I write pretty well for academia style, so it was easy to understand what the guides recommended.

After reading the guides , you should go back to your draft and make A LOT changes. My first draft and my final copy have NOTHING in common except the detail that I used to be a teacher. A strong PLAN and ORGANIZATION of your essay will ensure a nice flow of your arguments and clear representation of your intellect and insight on your future career plan.

Tip four :
Early in your process, select a group of people who will volunteer to read, edit and proofread your work. I was blessed to meet 2 OTs and a grant writer who agreed to help. Thy knew that english was not my primary language, so they were glad and very kind to help me. The 3 persons gave me separate and independent corrections and feedbacks. Allow yourself time between feedbacks and your final draft, in other words, do not wait until the week before to ask for feedbacks.

Tip five:
Sweat ink and blood! Write , write and write. Just do it. Just set aside a weekend or several weekends, evenings, where you will only write your PS ( and review the PS guides). No TV, no distraction (Facebook, smartphone, pandora). Personally, I did not have a lot of time ahead of me. I cried a little, prayed a lot and spent a very difficult sleepless weekend. I pushed myself to the max, like laboring to deliver a baby !!!

Like a pro: use all the tools available to write a like smart, articulate potential graduate student :

http://wordcounttools.com
https://readability-score.com/text/
http://www.reverso.net/spell-checker/english-spelling-grammar/

To add a nice professional look, put a title or a header like "Personal statement for X." and page numbers.

Tip six: Timing, timing, time!
the early birds get the worms, right !!
If you can start early on, then you should give yourself ample time to simmer and marinate your PS.
I could not afford this luxury of time because I was enrolled for the whole summer semester with 11 credit hours. I had no real insight about my experiences and motivation , not until I met the professor who asked me a million questions about my application and until I finished my CNA certification with clinical training in nursing home.

My timeline
First draft: end of june 2016
Second new draft mid July 2016
Third draft review end of July
Last and most complete draft : August 5th (I submitted this draft for review)
August 7h : sent my draft for review and feedback.
by August 20th : All reviews done and returned from the kind people who volunteered to read my draft

It took me 4-5 days to consolidate corrections, editions , run spell checks and read proof myself the final copy, multiple times. (I wrote 2 papers: a general personal testament for OTCAS and specific statement for the school).

I did not read a lot of samples and examples out there, because I did not want to get confused or discouraged by others great work and actually most of the work out ther has some flaws and platitudes, so it was not worth it to read something OK and sort through it what was great and what was plain... There are some excellent PS online from real students but I did not want to get to inspired by someone else work and I don't like to "borrow " people's work... I wanted my essay to reflect originality and sincerity ...

I hope it helps!! I will post my PS after I hear from the school...in a few months. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
to ShacoTheFarmacist

Hi, I finished the application process 10 days, so I can give you some excerpts now. I will release the whole docs once I will be in the school summer 2017. I think it is smart to protect one intellectual and creative products etc...the intro of my personal statement is :
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember.Involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin.”

How could one possibly summarize 12 years of elementary teaching, when each child is unique, each year bears its own singular challenge. There is never a dull day nor is there any time for complacency or settling down. Like her students, the teacher has grown, matured and learned about herself as she is everyday involved in the lives of her students. She cares and supports her students to be fully involved and engaged in their instrumental activities of daily living . Witnessing their growth, their overall wellness is her biggest reward and joy. I was this teacher, and this was my experience: a passion to equip and observe children overcoming the challenges inherent to a traditional school environment. As my career naturally evolved, I was convicted that a career in occupational therapy was the next step for me. I want to bring the same passion to a career in occupational therapy to help individuals to overcome their environment and achieve a quality of life, joy, purpose, and meaning through their activities of daily living.

The conclusion is the following:

In conclusion, my work experience helped me realize how important it is to help people to improve, maintain or restore independence and quality of life in daily living. Our wellness and joy are embedded in our daily occupations with the people who are close to us. I am inspired and motivated to support people’s strengths and challenges so they can enjoy a quality of life in their occupations. As a future occupational therapist, I am excited to make meaningful contributions to the profession, by combining my love for teaching and patient care. Whether it will be with patient treatment and in education as future associate professor in the field of rehabilitation sciences, I am looking forward to working as an occupational therapist with the same passion and joy I had for teaching.

I am proud of it because the words, expressions and style are 100%me, and I did not borrow any phrase from other sources... it was really hard to be 100% original because I had less than 3 weeks to think, draft and write a final copy. Editing was a little bite longer because I had taken a break from writing when I was on vacation...
What was your PS? Good luck with all your plans!

Hi DLA,
Your comment confirmed the reasons why I did not want to hire editors or professional writers. Your strategy of criticizing negatively will make any prospective clients less confident about their writing skills and more prone to hire your services but I am very confident about my writing skills.

When it comes to personal statement, there are no set magic formulas. For me, it is an academic essay...With a strong background in French (my native language) and grammar school, I did not need to hire help.
The essay has an excellent text organisation , like a strong skeleton on which I built up I my arguments. Being original, engaging and genuine were qualities I wanted to display and I did it successfully.
Three independent, non-related professional OT and one grant writer from a university reviewed my statement and LOVED it .
Lastly, I understand that you need to advertise your services on the forum and recruit prospective clients but it won't be at my expense by criticizing excerpts of my paper.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you orchid1980. We have been reviewing PS's for many years and participate in forums from time to time where we believe our experience may be of some benefit. We wish you the best of luck with your application.