Personal Statement error :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorDoc77

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am really bummed out. I was looking at my PS last night to realize that I made a grammatical error in the second sentence :(. It must have happened after I edited the sentence b/c I had people proofread it. Anyone think it will be much of an issue? I considered sending a second PS with the correction but its so minor it might not even be caught initially. My letters and transcript are not in so I have yet to get any offers but this error is making me paranoid....this is what I wrote....I left out the "a". It's just really irritating me.

"I was a few minutes away from leaving, when I was drawn to patient being resuscitated after sustaining multiple injuries in a motorcycle accident."

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am really bummed out. I was looking at my PS last night to realize that I made a grammatical error in the second sentence :(. It must have happened after I edited the sentence b/c I had people proofread it. Anyone think it will be much of an issue? I considered sending a second PS with the correction but its so minor it might not even be caught initially. My letters and transcript are not in so I have yet to get any offers but this error is making me paranoid....this is what I wrote....I left out the "a". It's just really irritating me.

"I was a few minutes away from leaving, when I was drawn to patient being resuscitated after sustaining multiple injuries in a motorcycle accident."

Just leave it alone.

The same thing happened to me last year. It irritated me too and I thought about resubmitting as well, but I didn't want to draw more attention to it by submitting essentially the same exact thing. Then as time went on and I received interviews I realized it didn't matter and I was a neurotic head case.

I got all of the interviews I wanted and it never came up. PS is not important unless 1. you shoot yourself in the foot by sounding crazy or 2. your app is really weak.

fuggetaboutit....i also did something similar and no one else ever noticed....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

If you're really worried about the mistake, just resubmit your ps. Programs will only see one ps. Your newly submitted ps replaces your last ps.

my apologies...for some reason I thought I was reading this in the Pre-Allo forum

honestly, i had to read it a couple of times to figure out where you left out the 'a'. don't worry about it. i'm sure people skim through the ps since they have to go through so many.

plus, you wouldn't want to be at a place where they're so anal, so harp on a simple grammatical mistake.

good luck!

opps-- my finger slipped.

i meant 'to harp'

If you're really worried about the mistake, just resubmit your ps. Programs will only see one ps. Your newly submitted ps replaces your last ps.

I don't think this is possible. Had it been I would have done it. A second PS would be sent to them but I don't think they would replace the old one. I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm less neurotic about it now. Thanks everybody for your input. :)

If this was me, I would leave it alone. The current error is very very minor and if you read it quickly -- which is what I presume the PDs do -- your brain naturally skips those words anyway and you don't even notice it.

Another suggestion is to come dressed as a caveman and act like you never made a mistake. Me like patient, me drawn to patient being resuscitated. :p

I don't think this is possible. Had it been I would have done it. A second PS would be sent to them but I don't think they would replace the old one. I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm less neurotic about it now. Thanks everybody for your input. :)

The information I gave you is straight from the ERAS site and I had confirmed it with my school's residency program coordinator. But either way, you're mistake does not sound major so you could forget about it.

Forget about the "a" :), I just want to know what happened when you didn't leave the scene.

i mis-spelled the name of one of my LOR writers. he's now my program director. i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Forget about the "a" :), I just want to know what happened when you didn't leave the scene.

LOL thanks for your interest. Well what happened is that the patient was basically becoming more and more hypotensive (his systolic was dippin below the 40's) even though he was being resucitated by the resident. So at that point I guess the attending felt we weren't getting anywhere so he decided to let a student (lucky me) take over the compressions. It was the first time I ever did this so I was really pumped. Anyway, he kept commenting me on how great the compressions were because they had better depth than what was being given to him prior and his BP eventually stabilized to the 90's after a few minutes! It was a nice feeling I gotta admit. Unfortunately, the patient crashed again over the weekend and I was told he didn't make it :(

LOL thanks for your interest. Well what happened is that the patient was basically becoming more and more hypotensive (his systolic was dippin below the 40's) even though he was being resucitated by the resident. So at that point I guess the attending felt we weren't getting anywhere so he decided to let a student (lucky me) take over the compressions. It was the first time I ever did this so I was really pumped. Anyway, he kept commenting me on how great the compressions were because they had better depth than what was being given to him prior and his BP eventually stabilized to the 90's after a few minutes! It was a nice feeling I gotta admit. Unfortunately, the patient crashed again over the weekend and I was told he didn't make it :(

i agree that you shouldn't worry about it - but you can replace the PS without them ever noticing - the ERAS will just automatically open up the new one next time. the only way this wouldn't work is if the program had printed out your ps-- but again, i agree you don't need to worry about it either way

One caveat about replacing the PS or anything else (such as LOR's) in your ERAS app, is that although yes, you may resubmit any of these things and reassign them at will, you will not be able to replace it IF they have printed out a physical copy. Each day or week or whatever, the someone in the residency office will print out all "new downloads" if they print them and add them to your file. At several of my interviews, they had two different PS's because I didn't like my first one that I had originally submitted very early and replaced it. Yes, it replaces it on the online ERAS application, but obviously not a physical copy on someone's desk. This is a pretty cool way though to assign more than 3 LOR's if you want to and if you know you have 4 awesome letters and don't want to leave one out. Just replace one a week or so later and likely it will print with a download later on and get placed in your physical file. Lots of us made stupid mistakes on ERAS and still matched quite easily!! Just relax!!

It took me at least 5 times reading that line before I found the error.

It took me at least 5 times reading that line before I found the error.

But we all know that is just because you're slow!! :laugh: :smuggrin:

To the OP: I agree with most of the advice above. It won't make any difference in the long run - most people will not even notice the mistake. Believe me, there is no "spelling and grammatical errors-check" before the PS ends up on someone's desk. It just ends up there and they are left to find the errors themselves. And I'm sure you've noticed some of your classmates not being too quick witted (like old corpsman here :)) and not even noticing the most egregious of errors.

Go out, have a drink or two, and relax. It's the weekend!