Personal statement for LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megaman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to make my LOR packet that will consist of my CV and personal statement. For the personal statement, do I just talk about my journey and my goals or do I use one of the prompts given on the AAMC website? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing is that you ensure your writers tailor the LORs to flex your strengths and mitigate your flaws.

In general, if you have nothing else to work with, it's okay to give your LOR writers your old PS. But, you should be sure to denote what you'd like them to focus on for your LOR, since your PS is outdated. It's probably more important to make sure you get strong LOR, and get them in early then have them wait on you to re-write your PS. Giving them a good reference point often facilitates receiving a strong letter.

However, for the real PS you'll turn into the AAMC you'd best be sure to stick to their prompt -- be ready to overhaul your current PS entirely.

I have a few more weeks before I plan to ask my recommenders, and I don't have any type of PS pre-written. So when writing my personal statement, I would focus mainly on my strong points (eg. my goals, what i've overcome, how I dealt with health problems, etc) rather than dwelling on how I got several bad grades? Something like that?

Also, I know you mentioned having recommenders write about my strong points. Should I specifically hone in and tell them what qualities to write about or would that sound too arrogant?