Personal Statement Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kadify

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just ready to submit my application but I'm really unsure about my personal statement. I've only have 1 english/literature course so far and the quality was lacking because I didn't get a single grade back from my teacher until after the class finished, it was a big issue and I'm still figuring out a way to bring it to the school's attention. So basically I'm writing this statement without a single college level writing course and I'm nervous. I had a friend proofread but she said our writing styles are too different for her to adequately help me because she personally would change everything but that doesn't mean my statement is bad. I worry that's her nice way of saying my statement is bad though..

So basically, are there any sources that are really helpful with personal statement writing? I don't even know what to write about and as a result wrote mostly about my internships and a personal story of why I chose this field but maybe I need more personality?

Any advice/help would be appreciated =)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I started out by trying to answer "Why do you want to go to dental school, and how do you think you prepared for it?" Start out by making a bullet point list of points that you want to talk about like shadowing, mentors, why dentistry over medical... etc. Add in an example of why you came to dentistry and then tie it all together with a unifying theme. Focus on WHY instead of WHAT. :prof:

Reactions: 1 user
I did a similar approach but I fee like it's very... educationally related. I tried to write about outside experiences and how they have shaped where I am but I feel like I just have too much school related info. Is that bad since it's also listed in my shadowing/research experience sections of the app?

use a personal statement review service after you have a solid draft.

also sdn has plenty of readers so ask them to review it for you first?