PERSONAL STATEMENT HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took my OAT last month and did good, and I'm starting to gather everything for when the Opt School apps open in July. AND THIS PERSONAL STATEMENT!! I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START!!

PLEASE HELP! ANYTHING IS APPRECIATED??

1. What should I write about?
2. What key points (if any) should be included?
3. etc.

Thanks in advance.
Feel free to PM

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a professor from an optometry school to ask about my Personal statement and some of the key points he made were:

1. Keep it short, about 1 page double spaced because admissions looks through so many that they immediately dread when they see a personal statement longer than that.
2. Don't dwell too long on any one point, especially if it's something like how you became interested in optometry because you had amblyopia as a child. Mention it briefly then move on. DON'T mention how the first time you wore glasses you saw the leaves on the trees. Be original.
3. DO include your experiences that make you unique. Show that you took the time to volunteer, work, and shadow at multiple types of practices. It shows that you did your research and you learned enough to really confirm that optometry is for you.
4. When discussing your future goals, make it sound confident... I plan to vs. I want to
5. Demonstrate how you are ready for optometry school. Include your time management skills, mention that you understand it's 24hr course loads each semester and you're ready to take on the challenge.
6. And of course... try to show your personality through it. Think of what makes your situation unique and how to draw the attention of the school... Remember that this is the short glimpse that the committee gets that aren't just numbers on a paper. Try to land that interview!

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
WOW! Thank you so much!!
This is exactly what I needed :)

Definitely what Romo said! Just be you most of all! Have several people read your statement as well (get some people who don't know you really well either to see if it has the genuine factor)... I'm sure the admissions committee can sniff out insincerity or being too pompous. :)