MPH Personal Statement: Length?? (500 Max?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eek_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to finish my personal statements by October 1st.

I am applying to Columbia and I noticed they mention personal statements can be no longer than 500 words--not a lot! I don't see a strict length requirement for other programs I'm applying to however.

For those who are in the midst of writing, or who have already applied-do you think 500 is typical? Should I aim for this in other personal statements, or does it not really matter? My most finished draft so far is about 750 words for another school.

Members don't see this ad.

500 words doesn't seem like much, but it's actually very typical for Statements of Purpose. I found it annoying as well, but now I understand why. First off, think about how many people apply. Can you imagine admissions officers reading 1000+ 5 page essays? It would take them a year just to admit people :laugh:! A word limit helps cut down on time. Also, as human beings by nature, we have a tendency to tell a lot about ourselves, so a word limit helps to keep us in check, so to speak. Just focus on getting the important things in and being as concise as possible.

Spoiler alert: In health policy & management, you'll have to write many 500 - 600 word policy briefs, so consider this good practice ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to you both! :) Sigh, i guess better to have too much to say than too little...time to cut!!