Personal Statement Length on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDsquash83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

ERAS has a feature to print out your PS statement. But it comes out with a header so it doesn't give you a good gauge of the length.

Any ideas to see if my PS is under one page?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

New courier 10 font
Left/Right margins 0.3 inches
Top/Bot margins 0.8 inches
Single space, no linespace between paragraphs (although many applicants decide to skip a line between paragraphs)

It should be accurate to +/- one line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've been told to aim for 600-700 words- does this sound right to you guys? With the .3 side margins, my PS looks really short now, but it takes the whole page using the default margins in word.

New courier 10 font
Single space, no linespace between paragraphs (although many applicants decide to skip a line between paragraphs)

:thumbup::thumbup: This is awesome to know, thanks aPD!! Great information to know :)

Thanks aPD. Nice tip there.

Query: is it a good idea to have a title for PS?

Are you guys just writing one general personal statement- or are you customizing them at all for specific residency programs? I don't mean a different PS for ortho and one for general surgery programs.

Are you guys just writing one general personal statement- or are you customizing them at all for specific residency programs? I don't mean a different PS for ortho and one for general surgery programs.

Don't know about others, but I am writing only one general personal statement.

Good grief. It was enough work just writing one that I'm mostly happy with!

In the 2 years that I have reviewed applications for my program so far, we (the committee) only encountered 1 person who had tailored her personal statement for our program (e.g., "...and I would like to go to program XYZ because of its strengths in X, Y, and Z..."). Our collective reaction was one of bemusement. Who the hell does something like that?

PS. The tailoring did not make us feel special and did not increase our interest in the applicant. Call us jaded, but the customization was superficial enough (and not accurate, in our estimation) that we pretty much just thought that the applicant threw in an additional 1-3 sentences at each program to which she applied.

-AT.

I agree. I feel silly customizing my personal statement to a particular program--they know we're applying to multiple programs.

*However,* some programs, on their website, will have a 'How to Apply' or 'Application Requirements' section, and some specifically ask for a mention of why you're interested in their particular program, or even other specifics, like what do you see yourself doin in 10-15 years, etc.

Maybe this isn't with every specialty. But I would encourage you to check out the program websites just in case :)

*However,* some programs, on their website, will have a 'How to Apply' or 'Application Requirements' section, and some specifically ask for a mention of why you're interested in their particular program, or even other specifics, like what do you see yourself doin in 10-15 years, etc.

Good point. When I was an applicant, I never saw anything like this on the web sites of the programs to which I applied. But I agree that some programs may have specific requirements (i.e., with regards to the personal statement), and you should make sure to check for them.

-AT.

Right now my PS is about 1000 words or about 1.3333333 pages using aPd's settings. Is it ever ok to go over the 1 page? I mean they give us 8 pages or something for eras. Some of us have more to say. Should I really stress about cutting out things that are important to me to share or is going over a page sometimes appropriate?

Right now my PS is about 1000 words or about 1.3333333 pages using aPd's settings. Is it ever ok to go over the 1 page? I mean they give us 8 pages or something for eras. Some of us have more to say. Should I really stress about cutting out things that are important to me to share or is going over a page sometimes appropriate?

In another thread (which I'm too lazy to look up on my phone), someone who reviews residency apps made the following statement..."the more you write, the less I read." Truer words were never spoken.

Reactions: 1 user
Does it make the applicant look desperate?

Not desperate, just overly earnest. If you have specific reasons for wanting to go to a specific program, then you can describe those in your interview. No need to take up additional space in the personal statement for that.

The personal statement is for describing why you want to go into a specific field. So if your reasons for wanting to go into a specific field are related to your reasons for wanting to go to a specific program, by all means describe it in your personal statement. Consistency would suggest, however, that the same personal statement go to all programs and not just the program that gets a shout-out.

-AT.

Not desperate, just overly earnest. If you have specific reasons for wanting to go to a specific program, then you can describe those in your interview. No need to take up additional space in the personal statement for that.

The personal statement is for describing why you want to go into a specific field. So if your reasons for wanting to go into a specific field are related to your reasons for wanting to go to a specific program, by all means describe it in your personal statement. Consistency would suggest, however, that the same personal statement go to all programs and not just the program that gets a shout-out.

-AT.

Many thanks.

Wow, wish I knew about the 0.3/0.8 margin settings a few weeks ago. Went through hell to get my 1" margins down from 1.25 pages to 1 page. Using the 0.3/0.8" margins, I am down to 0.75 pages...

Wow, wish I knew about the 0.3/0.8 margin settings a few weeks ago. Went through hell to get my 1" margins down from 1.25 pages to 1 page. Using the 0.3/0.8" margins, I am down to 0.75 pages...

And that's fine! If you've said whatever you wanted to say to introduce yourself and become a "real person" to the reader in less than a page, more power to you. Most personal statements I read could use a lot of editing.

A basic question: What does a Program Director look for in a Residency Personal Statement?

Honesty. Insight. Conciseness. Spelling and grammatical errors.
1- Is it all right to have some flash backs to pre-med school period and mentioning inspiring and motivating story that drove us to medical school, or the main theme should be confined to the reason for going to a "specific" specialty?
2- Can we mention some personal emotional stories that unintentionally directed us to a specialty?
3- Is it appropriate to mention few lacks or weaknesses of our school that now we are going to compensate them in a reputable residency program?
4- What is the delicate border between "brag" and "truly sell/present myself"?

There are lots of questions to ask, but above were a few to name.

Thanks a lot

1- Is it all right to have some flash backs to pre-med school period and mentioning inspiring and motivating story that drove us to medical school, or the main theme should be confined to the reason for going to a "specific" specialty?
2- Can we mention some personal emotional stories that unintentionally directed us to a specialty?
3- Is it appropriate to mention few lacks or weaknesses of our school that now we are going to compensate them in a reputable residency program?
4- What is the delicate border between "brag" and "truly sell/present myself"?

There's not a lot of space for a lot of stories. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to limit yourself to only one, but it does mean that I don't want to be inundated with every life event you think of as significant. Tell me something that will grab my attention and make me interested in knowing more. Make sure your transitions flow easily so I can follow your train of thought. (I suggest reading the PS out loud to yourself until it sounds like something you would say). I would keep it positive and not dwell on the perceived shortcomings in your medical education or clinical training. You can state what you are looking for in a residency program and let it be ambiguous as to whether it is because you consider those elements to cater to your strengths or to strengthen weaknesses.

If, as you read the PS to yourself, you think something along the lines of "Hey--this is an interesting person I'd like to meet!" you're golden. If, on the other hand, you think "This person sounds arrogant/cocky/self-absorbed, etc," then you need to go back and modify your writing style.

New courier 10 font

Holy crap - my personal statement is now < 1pg under this criteria ... here I was stressing that my statement was just over a page :laugh:

There's not a lot of space for a lot of stories. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to limit yourself to only one, but it does mean that I don't want to be inundated with every life event you think of as significant. Tell me something that will grab my attention and make me interested in knowing more. Make sure your transitions flow easily so I can follow your train of thought. (I suggest reading the PS out loud to yourself until it sounds like something you would say). I would keep it positive and not dwell on the perceived shortcomings in your medical education or clinical training. You can state what you are looking for in a residency program and let it be ambiguous as to whether it is because you consider those elements to cater to your strengths or to strengthen weaknesses.

If, as you read the PS to yourself, you think something along the lines of "Hey--this is an interesting person I'd like to meet!" you're golden. If, on the other hand, you think "This person sounds arrogant/cocky/self-absorbed, etc," then you need to go back and modify your writing style.

Thanks a lot. This cleared up major concerns and questions. By the way, If you find a PS interesting and with a catchy introduction, do you mind to continue reading even with the length of 1.5 or more pages (with aforementioned 0.3, 0.8 inches criteria)?

I've been told to aim for 600-700 words- does this sound right to you guys? With the .3 side margins, my PS looks really short now, but it takes the whole page using the default margins in word.
FWIW, mine is 699 words. It goes one line over using the specifications aPD gave us.

Edit: Sorry, actually, it does fit onto one single page. I was using regular Courier instead of Courier New.

mcl said:
The first word that comes to mind after reading my PS out loud is "earnest."

Last edited:
If you find a PS interesting and with a catchy introduction, do you mind to continue reading even with the length of 1.5 or more pages (with aforementioned 0.3, 0.8 inches criteria)?

If the personal statement is much longer than a page, it invariably gets less interesting as it goes along. I'll probably end up reading the first half, skimming the next third, then skipping ahead to the end.

Thanks a lot. This cleared up major concerns and questions. By the way, If you find a PS interesting and with a catchy introduction, do you mind to continue reading even with the length of 1.5 or more pages (with aforementioned 0.3, 0.8 inches criteria)?

The answer to your question can be found here.

I am trying to find someone who can help me proofread my PS. I saw that in 2008 there was a thread going around with members that proofread PS. I contacted a couple but received no reply. Anyone knows where I can get some help proofreading my PS?

I am trying to find someone who can help me proofread my PS. I saw that in 2008 there was a thread going around with members that proofread PS. I contacted a couple but received no reply. Anyone knows where I can get some help proofreading my PS?

Ask a classmate...

-AT.

New courier 10 font

Are you guys doing this in NOTEPAD? I seem to recall that ERAS instructions suggested using NP.

Are you guys doing this in NOTEPAD? I seem to recall that ERAS instructions suggested using NP.
Do it in whatever word processing program you like. But then copy and paste it into Notepad to force it to use only plain text.

I use word for most of it for handy things like spell check and word count. But I won't past it directly into the app from this, because plaintext can sometimes make some odd changes.

How do you check to see if your personal statement does fit in one page when a PD looks at it (is there a way to check and make sure that it is fitting within one page)?

Look Up! 2nd post in this very thread.

Yes, I did read that. However, I was wondering if there is a way to make sure when I enter the personal statement in the ERAS that indeed it does fit in one page?

Hi guys and aProgdirector. One quick question: Can I go over the 28,000 characters on ERAS? When I formatted the PS in Word, with New Courier 10, it fitted in one page (I then saved it as a .txt and pasted it on ERAS). I don´t know if I can leave it like that or if I should edit it. Thanks!

do you need to address you PS? example: Dear program director,

should I add a title to my PS?

I also forgot to ask if we should end the PS with something like:

Sincerely,

MyName MD

The 0.3 margins seems a little too good to be true.. When printed on ERAS its def a good bit over a page (for the PS that was exactly a page with those margins).

The 0.3 margins seems a little too good to be true.. When printed on ERAS its def a good bit over a page (for the PS that was exactly a page with those margins).

It's a free country and you have every right to your opinion. However I just logged into my new ERAS 2011 system, and the margins appear to be identical to last year - a tiny 0.3 inches.

Hi guys and aProgdirector. One quick question: Can I go over the 28,000 characters on ERAS? When I formatted the PS in Word, with New Courier 10, it fitted in one page (I then saved it as a .txt and pasted it on ERAS). I don´t know if I can leave it like that or if I should edit it. Thanks!

What in the world are you talking about? In Courier New 10 with the margins 0.3/0.8 sides and top, there will be about 90 characters across each line, and about 60 lines on a page. That's 90x60 = 5400 characters maximum on a page. 28K characters would be 5 pages. I would not go above 5 pages. In fact, I would not go above 2 pages. Do you really have that much to say?

I would not go above 5 pages. In fact, I would not go above 2 pages. Do you really have that much to say?
If a 5 page personal statement came across my desk, my first reaction would be, "Wow... I can imagine what this guy is going to be like on rounds...."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The longest PS I have seen was 3.5 pages. Honestly, I couldn't believe it.

The shortest PS I have seen was about 5 sentences. And, they were not very good sentences at that.

It's a free country and you have every right to your opinion. However I just logged into my new ERAS 2011 system, and the margins appear to be identical to last year - a tiny 0.3 inches.

Thanks for confirming it. I wasn't doubting you, just some seasonal paranoia. Thank you for the margin and font info, I've never seen them before and they really helped me figure out how much I could fit into that one page.

New courier 10 font

is it courier new or just courier?

"New courier 10 font"

Seems pretty clear. Besides, I don't think vanilla courier old has been used as a standard word processing font for 15 or so years (god I feel old).