Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I've been working with my advisor on my personal statement and I met with her today. She says that the info I have is good but I'm explaining more of why I want to be a dentist instead of an actual personal statement, and that I need to make it more of a story. But shouldn't a basis of the PS be about why I want to dentist or go into dentistry be included, or will there be a separate essay for "why dentistry" ? How can I turn my PS Into a story while incorporating my desire for dentistry? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the thing, I feel like advisors' tips are so subjective.. One says one thing, and the other says the complete opposite. My advisor, for example, told me that I need to make sure that every sentence in my PS ties back to the main question, which is "Why Dentistry?". This is the complete opposite of what your advisor told you. So, just go with your gut. Seriously! Otherwise, it's just one person's word over another's.

If you have a great story to tell, then share it! If you have a good answer to "Why Dentistry", then write that! If you have both, then do both! Who cares what "rules" you followed! As long as your statement is intelligently written and sincere. Try to make it interesting too ;) My 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's the thing, I feel like advisors' tips are so subjective.. One says one thing, and the other says the complete opposite. My advisor, for example, told me that I need to make sure that every sentence in my PS ties back to the main question, which is "Why Dentistry?". This is the complete opposite of what your advisor told you. So, just go with your gut. Seriously! Otherwise, it's just one person's word over another's.

If you have a great story to tell, then share it! If you have a good answer to "Why Dentistry", then write that! If you have both, then do both! Who cares what "rules" you followed! As long as your statement is intelligently written and sincere. Try to make it interesting too ;) My 2 cents. :)
Thanks for the advice! So with repeat to the application, there's only gonna be one essay right: the personal statement? Or is there gonna be one section for autobiography and another for why dentistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! So with repeat to the application, there's only gonna be one essay right: the personal statement? Or is there gonna be one section for autobiography and another for why dentistry?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/applicants/generalinstructions/documents/adeaaadsasgeneralinstructionsbooklet.pdf&ei=PCzuVOXaBcGwggSP_IGICA&usg=AFQjCNENFr-FqMA8weTMdDRlr2IavTZdzw&bvm=bv.86956481,d.aWw

Check this out!

I mean shouldn't the personal statement really explain my reasoning for going into the field? Because my advisor was saying that my PS was more saying why dentistry is good and why I like it. She was saying that the readers already know why the field is good and that I need to make it more Personal hence the story part should be included.

I mean shouldn't the personal statement really explain my reasoning for going into the field? Because my advisor was saying that my PS was more saying why dentistry is good and why I like it. She was saying that the readers already know why the field is good and that I need to make it more Personal hence the story part should be included.

I'm pretty much the first person to say that advisers give great advice if you happen to be a perfect composite of all applicants. Since you're probably not, you can probably disregard their advice.

That said, I do think this is useful. It's hard to say without seeing your statement, but having a narrative helps a lot. Listing reasons why dentistry is good and why you like it probably doesn't say much about you. And it's probably very similar to most letters that people write. Don't BS it, but if you can, connecting some of those things you like about dentistry to experiences you've had or things you do that seemingly have nothing to do with dentistry would probably help you out a bit.

I agree with your advisor. My personal statement was just about myself, how I grew up, my mindset, goals I had for myself, etc. I then tied it together towards dentistry at the end, and how this made me a good candidate. It seemed to be pretty well-received

I'm going to agree with everyone else here. Weave your stories, life, and experiences together to explain what brought you to love dentistry. I've read tons of personal statements and they absolutely suck because people write "dentistry is helpful and poor oral health can affect the overall health of patients." No sh**! Lol. Everybody on admissions boards know that and unless your stats are spectacular then that app will probably go in the trash. Explaining why dentistry is good is pandering to a crowd that already knows that.

A personal statement is all about explaining who you are and how you got to where you want to be. I'd even end with a paragraph saying what you plan to bring to dentistry, if you have something unique that is different than other people that will help patients.

Reactions: 1 users