Personal Statement Readers (C/O 2019 Application Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@free99 let's go ahead and take me off the list for a bit. i'll be going on vacation for a while and i want to make sure i knock out the dozen or so pending requests i'm sitting on before the end of tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just e-mailed and PM'd... all of you with the statement I used last year. I'm willing to take any critique, from simple re-words to a full-blown "start over, kid!" Thanks in advance to those who are offering their help.

Oh and Ferneezy I just read your reply... you were still on the list on page one so I accidentally sent you an e-mail! Sorry! Feel free to ignore and enjoy your vacation if that still applies!

Matt

I'd be happy to read some personal statements. I don't have a horse in the race until I apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just e-mailed and PM'd... all of you with the statement I used last year. I'm willing to take any critique, from simple re-words to a full-blown "start over, kid!" Thanks in advance to those who are offering their help.

Oh and Ferneezy I just read your reply... you were still on the list on page one so I accidentally sent you an e-mail! Sorry! Feel free to ignore and enjoy your vacation if that still applies!

Matt

i got your back

Incoming dental student here so no worries of stealing your PS :) I'll send you mine to those interested. I'm gonna be a bum during the day so feel free to email at [email protected]

I wrote my statement last spring thinking I would apply for last cycle but decided against it. So, I will be re-editing mine soon and really would appreciate the feedback after I'm done!

Hey guys, does anyone have some time to look over my PS? I've looked at it a million times now and would love a fresh perspective? I know you guys got swamped my PS's, but I would really appreciate it :)

Please remove me from the list. I don't have enough time for anymore!

Would anyone be able to read my PS? I don't want to bother people and PM everyone my PS so is there any volunteers? My writing is at a very low level but I think my content is good so Im looking for more of a grammar/voice revision rather then tips on content. But then again I could be wrong. Anything helps!

Hey guys! I am done with my first draft of my PS. Was wondering if there are still any takers for reading it. Thanks!!

Hey @free99 please take me off the list for now. # of new requests is getting a little out of hand.

is there an updated list of people who are willing to proofread the personal statements?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone have some time to look over my PS? I've looked at it a million times now and would love a fresh perspective? I know you guys got swamped my PS's, but I would really appreciate it :)

send it over :)

Update: No longer accepting new statements. Each one takes me upward of 1-2 hours, plus multiple drafts exchanged -- just don't have the time for it anymore.

I have some free time over the next week or two, so if anybody needs a quick edit, feel free to PM me. My personal statement was one of the stronger components of my application and I think it helped me score numerous interviews. I have a background in technical writing and copy editing so I think I'm particularly well-qualified to help.

Last edited:
Just a note to anyone who is waiting on me, or has sent me a request, I am VERY backed up. I'm still more than happy to do them and I like to do a thorough job. But if you are hoping to apply the first few days of the cycle opening I am not the person to send a request to. I work two (close to) full time jobs, so I'm pretty busy. That doesn't mean you can't send them to me, but understand it won't be a fast 1-day turnaround. I usually sit down and do a big batch, so it's a week to week and a half turn around.

still have to edit mine but can you send me your PS? I know what im writing about in mine (personal story) so you dont have to worry about me stealing it! I jsut would like to have a brief look at a successful PS!

I am still in the midst of editing my PSE! It'll be my first cycle and I've been having some trouble with organizing my PSE to make it flow. Is there anyone out there still editing - especially for a first time applier :)

I want to have my application submitted before June 12!

I'll do some reading. Accepted at only 1 school due to bad grades but interviewed at 4, and 3 of the schools had interviewers compliment me on my PS. I'll also help you find your story if you need help getting started.

I'm not reading this thread so go ahead and send them.

EDIT: Removed my e-mail because I'm done with the ridiculous e-mails I've been getting. Direct message me if you want to be nice and I might share my e-mail.

Last edited:
I'll do some reading. Accepted at only 1 school due to bad grades but interviewed at 4, and 3 of the schools had interviewers compliment me on my PS. I'll also help you find your story if you need help getting started. [email protected]

Hey! Awesome, I'll send it over tonight for some input! I'll be doing revisions all day today to make some sort of satisfying "final" draft!

I have some free time over the next week or two, so if anybody needs a quick edit, feel free to PM me. My personal statement was one of the stronger components of my application and I think it helped me score numerous interviews. I have a background in technical writing and copy editing so I think I'm particularly well-qualified to help.

Any chance you wouldnt mind sending me a copy of your PS so i can get a good idea of a strong PS?

I'll do some reading. Accepted at only 1 school due to bad grades but interviewed at 4, and 3 of the schools had interviewers compliment me on my PS. I'll also help you find your story if you need help getting started. [email protected]
Is it cool if I send you my p.s. as well?

I need some help on my personal statement too!!
Is there anyone who can help on my personal statement?

Same question as everyone else: anyone willing to glance over my PS? It's one of my final revisions (hopefully the last) so I'd just like a quick read over to see if anything sounds funky or doesn't flow and your general thoughts on the whole thing. Thanks in advance.

When I applied last cycle I used editors from www.essaydocreview.com. I knew Alina before the site started and she edited mine, and I got a lot of positive remarks about my PS during interviews. She also referred me to another editor from their site for my secondaries. I thought they did really good job. Just another option for you guys.

I've been reviewing personal statements and I want to write some advice:
1. Don't use events in your life for pity to get into school. It reflects poorly on you and I'll assume most Adcoms have a decent head on their shoulders and look past that.
2. Don't justify yourself in your personal statement. If you had terrible grades don't mention them. This is a chance for you to show your personality, passions, and why you picked dentistry.
3. Don't list off your activities in any manner. If they aren't core to your statement, take it out.
4. Have a "thesis statement" that really answers the question why dentistry. It helps your essay seem developed and puts everything in a cohesive idea.
5. Having a theme across the board helps your statement.
6. Emotions are key. They help you form a connection with your reader. So when that reader goes to the rest of the readers and wants to fight for you, they will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted dental student here. Feel free to send me a DM for my email address, I'd be happy to look over anyones PS.

Accepted dental student here. Feel free to send me a DM for my email address, I'd be happy to look over anyones PS.
Hi Liz,
I was wondering if I could send you over my PS for a quick review, and also if you don't mind if I could take a look at yours since it was obviously written well enough to get you accepted. Congrats :)

Hey everyone! I second Toothman23's recommendation of www.essaydocreview.com! I went to undergrad with John, the founder of this essay editing site, and he offered some very helpful advice and suggested revisions for my own personal statement. Anyone interested should check out their site to see if it seems like something that could help you get that perfect polished essay that still has your own voice.

I've been reviewing personal statements and I want to write some advice:
1. Don't use events in your life for pity to get into school. It reflects poorly on you and I'll assume most Adcoms have a decent head on their shoulders and look past that.
2. Don't justify yourself in your personal statement. If you had terrible grades don't mention them. This is a chance for you to show your personality, passions, and why you picked dentistry.
3. Don't list off your activities in any manner. If they aren't core to your statement, take it out.
4. Have a "thesis statement" that really answers the question why dentistry. It helps your essay seem developed and puts everything in a cohesive idea.
5. Having a theme across the board helps your statement.
6. Emotions are key. They help you form a connection with your reader. So when that reader goes to the rest of the readers and wants to fight for you, they will.

Wow. This. This 100% all the way. Double rainbow.

Hey everyone! I second Toothman23's recommendation of www.essaydocreview.com! I went to undergrad with John, the founder of this essay editing site, and he offered some very helpful advice and suggested revisions for my own personal statement. Anyone interested should check out their site to see if it seems like something that could help you get that perfect polished essay that still has your own voice.

@iheartteeth7 I think I'm going to use them, it seems legit. Have you already submitted your application and received any interviews?

I'd be more than happy to read over some personal statements. I guess I can put those writing intensive courses to good use :banana:

PM me!

If someone is interested for professional assistance to proof read of your personal, I recommend Brian form Gurufi.com. There is a fee but it is worth it.

PM me for personal statement proofreading! Pretty free until dental school starts in September :)