Personal Statement stressing me out even more

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Traign

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my second time applying. I applied extremely late last time, but I loved my personal statement last time. I added some stuff to my PS this time around and then I thought maybe if I got it edited by an editing service it would have major changes. Instead I dropped $175, which I can't really afford to pay but I thought it would be worth it and was extremely disappointed with the edits. Its stressing me out like crazy and I don't know what to do. I should completely rewrite probably, but I have no idea what to write. I feel like if I write something completely different, I'll be losing myself. The essay won't be me anymore. If anyone is willing to help, or look at my essay or anything, or even any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want this application out like now.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Why medicine
2) provide specific examples showing that you understand/appreciate the doctor/patient relationship
3) explain/pull together details of how medicine is the best fit for you.
4) no typos & make sure logic and terms are med-school applicant appropriate.

sorry you had a bad experience with the service! Normally they're good. I wrote my own because I just wanted it to be "me" 100%, but I don't think there's any more problem with having a service critique one's PS than there is paying Kaplan to assist in earning a higher MCAT score or asking a family friend to allow an applicant to shadow them.

If it were me, I'd pull any salvageable info from the PS you'd paid for, & rewrite parts of it, submit ASAP. My take is that these are intended to be similar & somewhat boring in that very few of us have totally unique experiences (personal/familial health problems, clinical experience, academic awards, outside interesting work experiences for all). Main thing is can you write & do you know enough about medicine to make a solid argument for entering the profession.

I didn't pay anyone to write a PS statement for me, I wrote it myself, but I paid a service to revise it, hoping it would help. Unfortunately, just like you were saying I want the essay to be 100% me and their revisions made it feel completely not me and in fact really disingenuous. I know people hype up their experiences or tweak them to make them sound more important than they really are, but its just something I can't do. It feels like I'm lying you know, and thats what the services revisions made my PS feel like. I think I'm starting from scratch. I wanted so hard not to be run of the mill, typical med school essay, but I don't think thats enough. So I have to give them that life changing moment that made me want to be a doctor, as opposed what I initially wrote about, which was my journey in getting there and coming to the realization slowly but knowing fully well medicine is where I want to be. I should have known an editing service couldn't do much better anyway, I graduated as an English major.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the info above, you can think about it like you are making an argument of why you should be a med student/doctor.

Highlight your good points and maybe address bad points.
Only talk about bad stuff if it's really needed. (like you had a whole semester of F's because of illness or something).

I think that the PS should compliment your overall application. When someone is done reading both they should be thinking that you are someone who would make a great fit to their med school class.

As long as it does the above and is well written, that's all you need.

Get that app in ASAP. You are already going to be fairly late by the time you app is verified.

I can't say this any clearer, get your app in NOW!

PM me your PS, I'd love to read it and try to give you some feedback