Personal Statement: talking about translating for family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pamp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the topics I discuss in the rough draft of my personal statement motivating me to go into medicine was translating for my family throughout my childhood to now during healthcare visits. Should I omit this from my personal statement? Ive heard it is generally frowned practice in healthcare but I feel like it is an important part of my story and de facto what happened when no professional services were available.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually wrote about this in my personal statement. I spent a lot of time in the ER as a child and my parents did not speak English at the time. I was the one that interpreted for my parents for pretty much anything since none of my doctors could speak Spanish. If it’s your story, I say go for it!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s fine, and a common story to see in personal statements.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the topics I discuss in the rough draft of my personal statement motivating me to go into medicine was translating for my family throughout my childhood to now during healthcare visits. Should I omit this from my personal statement? Ive heard it is generally frowned practice in healthcare but I feel like it is an important part of my story and de facto what happened when no professional services were available.
From whom have you heard this? I think being able to communicate with the patient through a translator (including available family) is standard.

That said, there's no reason to omit it. But don't hang any weight that this is your unique "x-factor" on it. You need to show more.

You are correct that it is frowned upon for the healthcare professional to use family, other staff, etc. as an interpreter rather than a professional, certified interpreter (for lots of good reasons). But the healthcare professional is the one being frowned upon, not the family member who is trying to help their relative navigate a complex healthcare system in another language. I don't think anybody will fault you if you have done this for a family member and say so in your personal statement.

Reactions: 3 users
I wrote about this in my personal statement and spoke about it during interviews. It never came up as an issue. Also, translating is for written material while interpreting is for spoken communication.

Reactions: 1 users