Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Konfetka

Sveta
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I have been brainstorming of what to write in my personal essay. I have dentists in my family, yet they have never encouraged me to be a dentist and to be honest I had started out as premed. Do you think it's a good idea for me to start my essay with this premed vs. predental debate and then go on to explain how my experience of volunteering at an children's dental office my mom works at made me choose to become a dentist?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why, oh why, would you start your personal statement with that! If they ask you about it in the interview, then give a good, wel thought out but honest answer to why you'd rather be a DDS/DMD over an MD. BUT why talk about it if you don't need to. Why should you look like a premed dropout who's applying to dental school as Plan B? I say focus on the reasons why you want to be a dentist. It is not written anywhere that you need to justify why you want to be a dentist over a physician. Why not compare being a dentist to being an accountant or a stripper or a drug dealer?

Thanks. I think I will focus on why i decided to go into dentistry altogether. I just want to make my essay original. Does anyone have any links to other personal statements so I can get ideas?

Dr. Konfetka said:
Thanks. I think I will focus on why i decided to go into dentistry altogether. I just want to make my essay original. Does anyone have any links to other personal statements so I can get ideas?
What I beleve helped me write an A+ personal statement was using the personal statement workshop they have here on SDN. It's geared mostly toward MED students and these are usually more indepth than dental personal statments but are as you will see better.