personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookiebaby635

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all. i was sitting down to write my personal statement to submit to otcas and i'm experiencing a major writer's block the size of mt everest :) i'm normally a decent writer, but this time i keep spinning my wheels. was wondering if anyone would be willing to share theirs to give a general idea? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

start with a specific experience you had that would give the reader an idea of your personality and interests. Might be good if this experience involved other people and use your reaction to this experience as a link to how you discovered ot.....

Write about what led you to O.T. and why you want to become one. Also write something specific about the school and how your a good match.

Members don't see this ad :)
What worked for me is I listed a few significant experiences and how each one demonstrated a skill I learned that would help me be a great OT, student or citizen. I pretty much started each paragraph with something like " I learned the art of perseverance when... I learned the power of conviction and empathy when....I was shown the power that few dedicated people working as a team have when..."

And I had many editors and many, many rewrites.

I wrote an essay and had a professor review mine. Maybe ask someone from your bachelors to review it?

double post

Last edited:
DO NOT write about specific schools and how you would be a good match if you are doing it through OTCAS. This essay will be sent to all schools you are applying to so don't be specific to one school or the outcome will be bad. write about your experiences that will lead you in becoming an ethical and professional therapist; something about cultural competence perhaps? Think about ethical practice and your past experience and relate them towards you becoming a future OT.

You will have to do this quickly because OTCAS is closing the 2011-12 cycle very soon. Here is the email I got from OTCAS:

The 2011-2012 OTCAS application cycle will close on June 13, 2012 and will reopen on July 11, 2012 by 12:00PM (Noon). Please do not submit any materials to OTCAS between June 13th and July 11th as they will be discarded. After July 11, 2012, applicants who had an application that was verified in the 2011-2012 cycle will have the option to carryover most of your application content to the new application cycle.

Content which will carry-over:
* Biographic, Personal, and Background information
* Entered coursework - verified (cannot be modified in new application cycle)
* Activities, Accomplishments & Recognitions
* Self-reported test scores
* Official test scores (cannot be modified in new application cycle)
Content which will not carry over:
* Letters of Recommendation
* Personal Statement
* School Designations & Payment
Re-applicants will have the ability to edit all sections of their application (except previously verified coursework) as well as enter any new or updated information.

Thank you,
OTCAS Staff