Personal Statment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john216

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm considering US med schools and getting my application ready.

For my undergrad, my GPA isn't that great compared to other applilcants and average mcat score

When you write a personal statement, should you be include about your GPA and why its not good, and also about the DAT score as well?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In a personal statement you should never dwell on negative aspects of your application. It's ok to talk about a personal experience that caused you to grow as an individual - but also caused you to have a less than stellar year academically. The point being, the focal point of a PS is typically your growth as an individual.

And yes I think you need a good DAT score and a 30+ MCAT to get into med school. I think... You should maybe double check with Google

Sent from my iPhone

Personally, I wouldn't include details about a bad GPA/DAT score. The personal statement is more a place to show development over time, however that may be. There is a separate section on the AMCAS application to say anything else that you'd like to in the "Additional comments" section, and that's where I would put these grade details.