This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch33z-its

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone a PGY-1 resident (or know a PGY-1 resident) whose program is great for students who would like to eventually become a faculty member at a pharmacy school? I am looking for programs that make you primary preceptor for an IPPE student, offer a teaching certificate, assign a faculty advisor, and/or have opportunities to give lectures at pharmacy schools. I have interests in infectious disease and critical care and could relocate to anywhere in the country if that helps! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not familiar with a program that assigns faculty advisors and makes you the primary IPPE preceptor. In my experience, residents interact more with IPPEs than APPEs. You want to think about what type of professor you want to be ( tenure track vs non-tenure track). If you want to go the tenure track route, you should look for a program with a strong research program to prepare you for a fellowship. Please feel free to pm if you have more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the hospital I work for has a PGY1 that offers a teaching certificate and allows residents to be primary preceptor of a student.

My program did all this. Unfortunately, it is not that strong in infectious disease or critical care. To be honest, where you do your PGY-1 doesn't matter in terms of getting a faculty position. However, you would want to do a PGY-2 that is strongly affiliated with a school of pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the hospital I work for has a PGY1 that offers a teaching certificate and allows residents to be primary preceptor of a student.
WOULD YOU PLS TELL ME WHICH HOSPITAL YOU GO TO SO THAT I CAN LOOK AT THEIR PROGRAM?

My program did all this. Unfortunately, it is not that strong in infectious disease or critical care. To be honest, where you do your PGY-1 doesn't matter in terms of getting a faculty position. However, you would want to do a PGY-2 that is strongly affiliated with a school of pharmacy.
IS IT NECESSARLY TO DO PGY2?
CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR PROGRAM AND WHERE CAN I LOOK IT UP PLS?