PGY-2 or PGY-3 Position Available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacey123!

Reaction score
Kaiser Permanente Southern California’s Los Angeles Medical Center is looking to fill a PGY-2 position or a transfer for a PGY-3 to start as soon as possible.

To apply, please email the following in a PDF to [email protected]:

Curriculum Vitae

Personal Statement with reason(s) for seeking position

USMLE and/or COMLEX Transcript

Medical School Transcript

Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE)

Three Letters of Recommendation* – including a letter from your current program director

For information on the program, please visit: Overview - Radiation Oncology

Visa Policy:

Visas (which include, Temporary TN work status, temporary H-1B and J-1) can only be sponsored for hard to fill positions. However, our training programs are extremely competitive and do not meet the hard to fill criteria.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaiser Permanente Southern California’s Los Angeles Medical Center is looking to fill a PGY-2 position or a transfer for a PGY-3 to start as soon as possible.
Forgot that KP even had a program. For the good of the specialty, could you leave it unfilled? SoCal isn't exactly booming with rad Onc demand at the moment and there are enough positions filled now

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
btw Stacy123!, did you flip the user name and password fields, cause that looks like a hospital password…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Also, I am super curious about who dumped who. I bet the intern left rad onc for a hotter specialty that had previously rejected them.

Reactions: 3 users
Kaiser is not a hellpit, but every other SoCal residency is better. Shocked if pgy2 graduates with decent job.

Would be nice if you can state where did your current resident go
I'm kind of compiling the list of exit routes that residents take out of RadOnc

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
someone will leave a ****tier program/location to come take this

Try get one of the Columbia or LIJ residents to enter the transfer portal. At least Kaiser sometimes has jobs available.

Try get one of the Columbia or LIJ residents to enter the transfer portal. At least Kaiser sometimes has jobs available.
KP SoCal jobs almost invariably go to their grads - look at where they went.

The system is unique in many ways (staffing is not like most, where there is pure “ownwrship” of patients) and makes it hard for non KP residents to thrive. Not to say they can’t, but it’s rare for them to hire outside the system.

It’s a feeder for a So Cal job, and so for certain people it is a great opportunity

Reactions: 5 users
I would've almost killed for this opportunity when I was a resident. Alas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaiser is not a hellpit, but every other SoCal residency is better. Shocked if pgy2 graduates with decent job.
No way UC Irvine rad onc is better then Kaiser.

Loma Linda sucks. USC sucks. City of hope hasn’t been that great historically. Cedars isn’t some super star place

Have only ever heard good things about Kaiser

Reactions: 3 users
Loma Linda sucks. USC sucks. City of hope hasn’t been that great historically. Cedars isn’t some super star place

Have only ever heard good things about Kaiser

I'd say the only "great" program in So Cal is UC San Diego (Kaiser contract + great attendings + location), but Kaiser LA is no slouch, and is definitely a feeder for So Cal jobs. The rest of the programs are like you said.

Is there such thing as “owning a patient” while working for Kaiser?

Is there such thing as “owning a patient” while working for Kaiser?
Well.. I think it’s very common to contour a colleagues patient.
That happens very seldom in the jobs I’ve worked unless vacation coverage or something

Would be nice if you can state where did your current resident go
I'm kind of compiling the list of exit routes that residents take out of RadOnc

Working for a "Health" System as a physician means two things are true

1. You don't own the patients. The Health System does
2. The Health System owns you

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
From what I have heard Kaiser is a hellpit residency but will hire their own grads if they like you.

Best part of Kaiser residency is that if you stay with KP your resident years count towards your 20 years to retirement.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
From what I have heard Kaiser is a hellpit residency but will hire their own grads if they like you.
there should be a benefit from huge number of pts and experience. Probably similar to a canadian department.
Downside is the "cog in machine" process in which everything is excessively standardized and not following pts from consult to sim to follow up. 10 years ago, Kaiser norcal did not follow this model and seemed to only hire ucsf residents. If after a year or 2, you get the feeling that they are not in love with you (or totally focused on one of your coresidents), I would leave as it would be very hard to get a job.

If I was a resident who had even a lick of interest moving back to CA, specifically SoCal, and would be comfortable in KP system, this is a slam dunk. I bet all things being equal, a KP resident would be favored over a top 3 program resident.

If I was a resident who had even a lick of interest moving back to CA, specifically SoCal, and would be comfortable in KP system, this is a slam dunk. I bet all things being equal, a KP resident would be favored over a top 3 program resident.
can you expand on this idea out of curiosity?

I appreciate KP SoCal posting on here. It'd be better for them to grab a rad onc resident from another rad onc residency, than to grab an intern without an advanced position.

Also, SoCal QOL is great.

I appreciate KP SoCal posting on here. It'd be better for them to grab a rad onc resident from another rad onc residency, than to grab an intern without an advanced position.

Also, SoCal QOL is great.
Good point and Kaiser is a huge national system that may have jobs. Definitely worth a look if you are at a 3rd tier program with bleak options.

Last edited:
KP is a solid clinical program. It is far from the worst program in Cali. If you have an interest in working in Cali after graduation it is a good option and I think their graduates are well respected in the region, in addition to having a foot in the door for an internal KP opening. That being said, it was considered malignant by a radonc standard when I applied almost a decade ago and I don't think much has changed. You will work hard there and in an era where a thready pulse makes you a solid candidate for a cush top tier program, this one isn't terribly appealing unless you need to be in cali.