PGY Status After Transitional Year...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mat the coolcat

jus tryn'a make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I matched into the same institution for EM that I did my transitional year at. Do any of you know what the ACGME policy is on this? And where I can find the policy on PGY status in regard to this?

There are a couple other residents here that did similar things, and some had their transitional/prelimb years count toward their PGY status, but for no good reason I was told mine doesn't count. Only reason I care is the extra $100 a month would be very nice.

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

So I matched into the same institution for EM that I did my transitional year at. Do any of you know what the ACGME policy is on this? And where I can find the policy on PGY status in regard to this?

There are a couple other residents here that did similar things, and some had their transitional/prelimb years count toward their PGY status, but for no good reason I was told mine doesn't count. Only reason I care is the extra $100 a month would be very nice.

Cheers,

You are a PGY1. Why? Because that's the spot you matched into. I graduated medical school 15 years ago, but if I wanted to go into Surgery tomorrow, I wouldn't be a PGY15 even though its my 15th year post-graduation. I wouldn't be a PGY4 immediately because I did 3 years of EM training. You are being paid in the slot you are filling, which is being a PGY1 EM resident.

Reactions: 1 user
You are a PGY1. Why? Because that's the spot you matched into. I graduated medical school 15 years ago, but if I wanted to go into Surgery tomorrow, I wouldn't be a PGY15 even though its my 15th year post-graduation. I wouldn't be a PGY4 immediately because I did 3 years of EM training. You are being paid in the slot you are filling, which is being a PGY1 EM resident.

That's fair, and I'm not arguing that, but it is definitely not that way everywhere. I remember in several of my aways in medical school there was a PGY-4 at a 3 year program, and several PGY-5's at a 4 year program that all had done transitional years. Even where I'm at, some of the other residencies count a pre-limb/TRI year from a other specialties into PGY status.

I was just wondering if there was an actual policy on it, and I suspected that there wasn't based off the variability listed above, and even residencies within institutions. Alas, I got my answer earlier today talking with ACGME; it is 100% up to the GME leadership and what they choose, there is no formal policy.

Maybe that's better overall so that it doesn't muddy the federal funding water for TRI/pre-limb applicants trying for their 2nd go around? idk

Members don't see this ad :)
That's fair, and I'm not arguing that, but it is definitely not that way everywhere. I remember in several of my aways in medical school there was a PGY-4 at a 3 year program, and several PGY-5's at a 4 year program that all had done transitional years. Even where I'm at, some of the other residencies count a pre-limb/TRI year from a other specialties into PGY status.

I was just wondering if there was an actual policy on it, and I suspected that there wasn't based off the variability listed above, and even residencies within institutions. Alas, I got my answer earlier today talking with ACGME; it is 100% up to the GME leadership and what they choose, there is no formal policy.

Maybe that's better overall so that it doesn't muddy the federal funding water for TRI/pre-limb applicants trying for their 2nd go around? idk

yeah, I’m glad you got clarification. I was just going to post to say it’s up to the individual hospital. There is no set rule on it.

I can see both sides of the argument, however personally I feel like the resident should be paid at the level they are in their training for their given class. Even if they did three years of general surgery, and we’re starting a PGY1 year in emergency medicine, they are functioning as a PGY1 not as a PGY4.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, I’m glad you got clarification. I was just going to post to say it’s up to the individual hospital. There is no set rule on it.

I can see both sides of the argument, however personally I feel like the resident should be paid at the level they are in their training for their given class. Even if they did three years of general surgery, and we’re starting a PGY1 year in emergency medicine, they are functioning as a PGY1 not as a PGY4.

Where that gets tricky is fellowships. Fellows entering critical care medicine fellowships can be graduates of 3-year EM or IM programs, 4-year EM programs, or another IM fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users