PGY1 in England

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tropicana126

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an American PharmD, I graduated within the past 5 years. My husband is considering taking a job in England (near London) for a 3 year term.

Any ideas for what work/education I can do if we end up going?

I looked in to reciprocating my license and it takes 2 full years of full-time experiential work. Obviously not worth it for just 1 year of employment.

I can't find any information on whether they have a similar residency structure in England as we do in the US? I know some residencies don't require you to have an active license here in the states..

Any other ideas for me? Volunteer work? Academic? I'm up for anything..

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't you need to reciprocate your license to the UK prior/during the year of residency? I don't know anything about their PGY1 but the ones in the US require having an active license (usually within state unless a VA program). If that's the case, wouldn't you have to go through the 2 years to get your license before starting residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I am an American PharmD, I graduated within the past 5 years. My husband is considering taking a job in England (near London) for a 3 year term.

Any ideas for what work/education I can do if we end up going?

I looked in to reciprocating my license and it takes 2 full years of full-time experiential work. Obviously not worth it for just 1 year of employment.

I can't find any information on whether they have a similar residency structure in England as we do in the US? I know some residencies don't require you to have an active license here in the states..

Any other ideas for me? Volunteer work? Academic? I'm up for anything..

Thanks for the help!

You would have to sit two exams- a licensing exam and a competency exam in England, then pursue what is considered pre-registration prior to becoming recognized as a pharmacist in the UK. The pre-registration is similar to a PGY1 as it cna be done in any setting-hospital, retail/community, industry. The pre-registration lasts for 1 year. Upon successful completion, you then register with the pharmaceutical society and then you receive your UK pharmacist license.

I'm not sure how true this is and someone who may knows better please step but, but I heard pharmacy in Europe is not as progressive as it is here in the US. It's more focused on dispensing and less on doing some of the more clinical duties. This is what I've heard from some people that have went over to do rotations and from preceptors, so I'm not sure how true all of it is.

I believe (in the UK, at least) that pharmacists can actually have independent prescribing privileges... I have a friend from England who just finished her post-doc here working on cancer treatments, and she said pharmacists can be primary providers if they choose to go that route and get the necessary licensing. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've heard. I'd like to do a rotation abroad in the UK, so it would be interesting to know how they operate first hand.