Pgy1 to pgy2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklyn87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know from a you PGY2 's out there. What do program directors look for in candidates for their PGY2 ? What things should I keep in mind throughout my upcoming year to set myself apart as a candidate? I haven't chosen a specialty yet... I'm trying to keep my options open. Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Thanks,
NYC resident :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a similar question since I am also thinking about pursuing PGY2 residency after next year. I have numerous interests, and I am not sure if it will be enough time to explore all of them before Midyear.

What specialties provide you good prospects for a job? Which ones are in demand? Are there any PGY2 residents who are having hard time landing a job?Not that I will be purely choosing my specialty based on demand and supply, but I have numerous interests and I could see myself being happy in any one of my interest areas.

Also, are there any PGY2 residents who regret completing a PGY2 residency? Some residents told me that PGY2 limits your job prospects especially if you want to practice in a certain location. Thank you.

I don't have time for a nice long reply right now, but a PGY2 certainly did not limit me in any way, shape or form.

In fact, I faxed off an acceptance letter just today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have time for a nice long reply right now, but a PGY2 certainly did not limit me in any way, shape or form.

In fact, I faxed off an acceptance letter just today.

Congratulations! Is the offer in your desired location and specialty?

Would you mind sharing your long reply when you have more time? I am interested in hearing your opinion because some people try discourage me from pursuing pgy2 mainly based on being too specialized and too limited.

desired specialty, yes.

desired location, close enough. I had options pretty much everywhere. The location I really, really wanted wouldn't know if they had the funding for the spot for another couple weeks and I took the money and ran instead of waiting. But I did not consider any positions outside of my specialty.

On the other hand, other specialties are having difficulty with positions right now. There have been <10 critical care positions posted so far this spring and people are fighting tooth and nail for them.

desired specialty, yes.

desired location, close enough. I had options pretty much everywhere. The location I really, really wanted wouldn't know if they had the funding for the spot for another couple weeks and I took the money and ran instead of waiting. But I did not consider any positions outside of my specialty.

On the other hand, other specialties are having difficulty with positions right now. There have been <10 critical care positions posted so far this spring and people are fighting tooth and nail for them.

Congratulations again! I have heard that finding positions in critical care is extremely hard too. Do you mind mentioning other specialties that are having difficulties versus the ones that can easily obtain positions?

it's hard to say - some of our PGY2s have been just too busy to seriously job hunt or are restricted geographically.

I will say that our Drug Info PGY2 had multiple offers around the country - we were the two most open to going anywhere. (and we are the two with confirmed jobs, the ID fellows have another year and cardiology PGY2 is staying on for fellowship, everyone else is still looking)

desired specialty, yes.

If you don't mind sharing, what speciality are you in? And when you say <10 critical care positions, do you mean just in your area or in the whole country?