PGY1 with opportunities of hem/onc exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiorio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
i'm a p4 and i am interested in hem/onc. i am considering possibly doing a pgy2 in hem/onc in the future. but first i would like to find a pgy1 program that will allow me to have sufficient hem/onc exposure.
could anyone comment on pgy1 programs that offer multiple various hem/onc rotations? i am not limited to any geographic location.
thank you very much :) any input appreciated~

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
i'm a p4 and i am interested in hem/onc. i am considering possibly doing a pgy2 in hem/onc in the future. but first i would like to find a pgy1 program that will allow me to have sufficient hem/onc exposure.
could anyone comment on pgy1 programs that offer multiple various hem/onc rotations? i am not limited to any geographic location.

OU offers a hem/onc with a well respected, textbook chapter writing preceptor, a BMT and a peds hem/onc. They also have a PGY2 in hem/onc. It is at a large academic medical center also which is nice. And you can do your research in teaching in hem/onc if you want. Keep in mind that you cannot get more than 25% (3 rotations) of your general PGY1 year in one specialty.

OU offers a hem/onc with a well respected, textbook chapter writing preceptor, a BMT and a peds hem/onc. They also have a PGY2 in hem/onc. It is at a large academic medical center also which is nice. And you can do your research in teaching in hem/onc if you want. Keep in mind that you cannot get more than 25% (3 rotations) of your general PGY1 year in one specialty.

the 25% rule is OU specific or it's a general rule for all PGY1 residencies?
and OU refers to U of Oklahoma?
thank you so much~

Members don't see this ad :)
the 25% rule is OU specific or it's a general rule for all PGY1 residencies?
and OU refers to U of Oklahoma?
thank you so much~

It's an ASHP rule.

Seriously, the OU PGY2 hem/onc director is awesome. I highly suggest it. And I don't even really like hem/onc.

Yes, OU is The University of Oklahoma. Boomer Sooner baby

FYI, I am currently a resident at OU.

Hello

Most large medical centers will have that. Just pick one that has several months of electives. Most RPDs will have no problem letting you do repeat an elective at least once. I did 2 months of hem/onc at my VA residency, focusing mostly on what I call the 5 "grumpy old cancers". I known Ohio state medical centre residency is rough on residents and hard to get in, but hem/onc at it's James cancer hospital is extemly good.

i just looked up ASHP website, and it's 33% one third.
"No more than one-third of the twelve-month PGY1 pharmacy residency program may deal with a specific patient population or practice area (e.g., critical care, oncology, cardiology, drug information)."
http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/Accreditation/ASD-PGY1-Standard.aspx
thanks for the information
i really appreciate it~!

It's an ASHP rule.

Seriously, the OU PGY2 hem/onc director is awesome. I highly suggest it. And I don't even really like hem/onc.

Yes, OU is The University of Oklahoma. Boomer Sooner baby

FYI, I am currently a resident at OU.

Look at places that have a PGY2 program in heme-onc. Often times they can offer a few different rotation options for PGY1s.