Ph.D. (research faculty) to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monmon2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please evaluate my chances with the following background.

I have a Ph.D. degree and am currently a research faculty in Neuroscience (29y/o). GPA 3.96 (grad/ugrad). Strength in publications and grants. Able to get strong individual letters from current colleagues. Obtained a B.S. in Physical Therapy with plenty of clinical experiences (also volunteer+Shadowing; but a while ago).

I am shooting for research-based med school, such as Hopkins and Harvard. Someone suggests me to directly contact the school admission dean. What do you guys think? Any suggestions whether I should do more shadowing? Please comment.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Ph.D. degree and am currently a research faculty in Neuroscience (29y/o). GPA 3.96 (grad/ugrad). Strength in publications and grants. Able to get strong individual letters from current colleagues. Obtained a B.S. in Physical Therapy with plenty of clinical experiences (also volunteer+Shadowing; but a while ago).

I am shooting for research-based med school, such as Hopkins and Harvard. Someone suggests me to directly contact the school admission dean. What do you guys think? Any suggestions whether I should do more shadowing? Please comment.

Get all your ducks in a row (good LORs, good essays, early application submission, decent interview skills, etc.), add some recent volunteer work, and get a 34+ on the MCAT and you're VERY competitive at any school in the country. Any shadowing will be fine. Try a field you haven't explored yet. Just remember that even though you're about as good an applicant (assuming a good MCAT) as they come, nearly all matriculant caliber applicants at top-tier schools are stellar, so being exemplary doesn't necessarily get you in. There's always way more super-qualified applicants than spots at the top schools. Make sure you broaden your applications to good mid-tier research schools as well.

If you apply reasonably broadly you'll do just fine.

Hi, and welcome to SDN. May I humbly suggest that you peruse the sticky at the top of this forum? You will find answers to many of your questions there, and you may particularly find this sticky for PhD-to-MD applicants helpful. Also, we have a Physician Scientists forum (scroll down the main forum page) that can help you link up with other more research-inclined folks. Most of the regulars are applicants and students in combined MD/PhD programs, but there is a significant minority of us who did/are doing separate degrees. The stickies in that forum will also have other info that you may find helpful.

Hi, and welcome to SDN. May I humbly suggest that you peruse the sticky at the top of this forum? You will find answers to many of your questions there, and you may particularly find this sticky for PhD-to-MD applicants helpful. Also, we have a Physician Scientists forum (scroll down the main forum page) that can help you link up with other more research-inclined folks. Most of the regulars are applicants and students in combined MD/PhD programs, but there is a significant minority of us who did/are doing separate degrees. The stickies in that forum will also have other info that you may find helpful.

Thank you. I found that forum you suggested was extremely useful.