Pharm D. and Ph. D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about some things. Do you need a Pharm. D before you can get the Ph.D? Also, what are the benefits of each? I'm pre-health and trying to figure out what path to take after undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

there are some schools that offer dual degrees like PharmD/PhD or PharmD/MS.

yeah, specially state universities. I know Univ of Florida offers several options for dual programs, PharmD/JD, PharmD//MBA, and PharmD/PhD which is 9 years total.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Houston has a PharmD/PhD,as well as PharmD/MS, program.

I kind of want to look into a dual program, but I get this bad feeling that it would be a large investment of time with little or no gain in what I am able to do.

I'm confused about some things. Do you need a Pharm. D before you can get the Ph.D? Also, what are the benefits of each? I'm pre-health and trying to figure out what path to take after undergrad.[/quote

I think a good time to decide whether or not you want to pursue a Ph.D is after you have done some undergraduate research and maybe took a few extra upper division classes. Also try to work in some kind of science research lab - that should certainly help you. My boyfriend wasn't sure what he wanted to do even after he graduated with BS. in biochem. He started as pre-med in college, then changed his mind towards pharmacy in his last years of college and now he is actually applying for a Ph. D (with his GPA he could go for anything:laugh:) What made him decide was doing some amazing cancer research at a really high profile lab in our area. So maybe try doing some undergrad research and that should certainly get you thinking in the right direction. Good luck !

You don't need a pharm.d. before a ph.d. but you do have to get a bachelors first to get a ph.d. Simplistically, a pharm.d. involves patients and practicing pharmacy while a ph.d. is strictly research and teaching. I think you can do research if you get a pharm.d., but it would probably be harder to get that kind of a job. Like cheburashka said, get some experience! I know there are a lot of summer research internships if you can't find an opportunity at your university.

I'm confused about some things. Do you need a Pharm. D before you can get the Ph.D? Also, what are the benefits of each? I'm pre-health and trying to figure out what path to take after undergrad.

A phd degree is research while pharmD is clinical. You do not need a pharmD before you get a phd. If you are in pre health, chances are you are chasing after the pharmD.

Benefits depend on what you consider to be benefits.

Ph.D. - benefits are you get to do cutting edge research. Maybe discover something useful. Potential to make money if what you do is hot on the market. Otherwise not much money.

Pharm.D. - benefits are get to counsel ppl, learn about the body comprehensively, job stability, money, status.