Pharm tech before pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstudent2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being a pharmacy tech help you/ give you a head start before becoming a pharmacist? Opinions?

Ive been working as a tech for 3 months and i see a difference, but im not sure if its to a certaon extent or not, i mean obv i wont know as much as the pharmacist until im in that position, but does it def prepare you/ give you a head start?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think it's a good start. Just make sure you can manage your school, and work well. Also, don't forget to enjoy life. ;)

Forgot to add this, it will be good on your resume after you grad from the pharmacy program. This is what I've seen among my friends.

But, I only heard a few, with no experience at all, only rotation experience, got the pharmacist position at the retail chain stores. Who knows you're the luck one... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, definitely you want to work as a technician before becoming a pharmacist (or an intern, depending on how your state does it) The experience will definitely help when you go looking for a job, and if you aren't in pharmacy school yet, working as a tech will help you decide if being a pharmacist really is the job for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Indeed. It helps you network, puts items on your resume, and reinforces ideas taught in pharmacy school. And, Like BidingMyTime said, will help you figure out what you want (or don't want) to do with your degree. I have known too many pharmacists who regret their decision to go into pharmacy because they did not know what they were getting into.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it is a huge plus. I really don't know how people go from only having IPPE/APPE experiences to being pharmacists. At least knowing the basics of the pharmacy is a huge help. Anecdotally I have heard techs say that they always know who was a tech before they were an RPh.

Not to mention money, networking, resume building, etc. Really, what would the down side be? If you can get the experience go for it!

Does being a pharmacy tech help you/ give you a head start before becoming a pharmacist? Opinions?

Ive been working as a tech for 3 months and i see a difference, but im not sure if its to a certaon extent or not, i mean obv i wont know as much as the pharmacist until im in that position, but does it def prepare you/ give you a head start?

I can tell you from my experience that it is heavily considering by schools as well as future employers. You CANNOT go wrong by getting paid experience before and DURING school.

yes, yes, yes. As somebody who never got experience during pharmacy school except IPPEs/APPEs, do not underestimate what being a tech means. When you start pharmacy school, you can upgrade to an intern and you will have a little more responsibility than a tech, and finally when you graduate until you get licensed you're a grad intern before becoming officially a pharmacist.

I personally believe if I had tech/intern experience during school, I would have done better in school academically, been far more prepared/excited to become pharmacist, had excellent connections with the staff/pharmacist, and probably would have had a job by now after graduation. Almost everybody I know who started as a pharm tech and stayed as an intern at their store has a job.

Even if retail is not your forte, tech/intern experience is huge if you want to do residency.

You are lucky to have a tech job.

yes, definitely you want to work as a technician before becoming a pharmacist........working as a tech will help you decide if being a pharmacist really is the job for you.

Words of the wise. I agree.

Another life history from me that worked for me which may or may not benefit you. I just want to bring to the table and let you decide your path in life.

Because I lived through failures and good-byes of pharmacy schools, I lean forward the idea of saving the hours during pharmacy school to study instead of working to make money.

The way I see life is: with student loan, I survive enough through pharmacy school. I am not a lazy person. I just want to spend my time wisely. 1 hour in pharmacy school is precious. I prefer to spend that 1 hour to relax, improve myself, or study so I will survive pharmacy school instead of making money to pay back student loan. To pay back student loan and minimize interest, I was willing to work harder as pharmacist with 6 days of work. It worked. I graduated. I prefer the sure way. Therefore, I maxed out student loan and was ready to work 1 more day once I become pharmacist to pay back student loan. As a pharmacist who works 1 day extra at some other pharmacy, you earn 8 hours at about 50 dollars per hour to get 400 dollars, which may be about 26 hours of technician's pay rate (if pay rate is about 15 dollars per hour.)
In pharmacy school, that 26 hours is precious for studying, that could be a make or break for the brutal exams. Why would I risk my exam when I can earn all that money as a pharmacist working only 1 day?

Once I was in pharmacy school, I minimized my work time and concentrated in studying. I reminded myself that my final goal was to be a pharmacist and earn money at pharmacist's salary, not technicians' salary. Therefore, the time I spent at pharmacy as non-pharmacist was mainly for networking, building bonds, immersing and absorbing the experience, watching others and internalize their skills, tricks, and styles....
Why?
Once your are pharmacist, your moments in the pharmacy will be to make sure you CHECK THE SCRIPT ACCURATELY, you will be the final catcher of any mistakes, your license is at stake. Compare to life of technician, you won't have much time to watch, learn, and absorb from others and less people are willing to teach you anything. Why? In their heads, you are Doctor of Pharmacy, you are the pharmacist on duty, you are the boss during this shift. If they teach you and offend or cross line and be on the bad side with you, they may get written up so most people will not bother to teach you anything unless you really really go out of your way to ask and beg for lessons and teachings...with the biggest smile and lots of bribes....

I again want to emphasize the importance of seeing your final goal: earn money per hour as pharmacist, not as technician or intern. Therefore, during pharmacy school, think carefully before you spend lots of time to make money to pay back student loans. You will see many advisers advising you to work during school to minimize interest. To me, those are advice that fit with non-stressful school. Pharmacy school is known to be super stressful with many exam failures, drop outs, academic probation, academic dismissals, or in plain language: fail so many test and you will be kicked out of school, owe over 100 thousand dollars and start all over again at new pharmacy school. Even some of us who graduated got Post-Traumatic nightmares for a few months afterwards (just search this forum for this condition.) Just ask recent graduates (not long-time graduates, they many not remember the hard times...)

In summary, yes, before getting into pharmacy school, working in pharmacy was important and helpful for me because I found out I fit the environment; I was lucky to meet nice folks and at least 4 conscientious mentors who saw the way I sacrificed for the pharmacy and returned the favor by shaping me into the excellent pharmacist I am today. If you meet a smiley pharmacist out there, know that I was a pharmacy technician before I was your friendly community pharmacist.