Pharmaceutical Research internship before Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicMouse64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will keep it short and simple. I got offered an internship doing some novel research for a year for a big name pharmaceutical company that would pay me 90K plus COL. From a purely financial aspect, would it be a decent idea to take it and use this towards interest on loans? Or should I just try to go to Medical School as early as possible. I know this is all contigent on my eventual matriculation, however it will keep me back from a year's salary and I already would like to take a gap year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The odds of a single year of your future physician attending earnings to be greater than 90k + interests are overwhelming. Not a sound financial tactic.

(Though the increased peace of mind is worth something, I imagine...)

The odds of a single year of your future physician attending earnings to be greater than 90k + interests are overwhelming. Not a sound financial tactic.

(Though the increased peace of mind is worth something, I imagine...)
I was thinking more of paying off the interest with that money, so it doesn't compound.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I will keep it short and simple. I got offered an internship doing some novel research for a year for a big name pharmaceutical company that would pay me 90K plus COL. From a purely financial aspect, would it be a decent idea to take it and use this towards interest on loans? Or should I just try to go to Medical School as early as possible. I know this is all contigent on my eventual matriculation, however it will keep me back from a year's salary and I already would like to take a gap year. Thanks!
if you don't take it, please refer them to me

if you don't take it, please refer them to me
If you have a First Author publication/high impact second author publication in pharmaceutical resarch, I can PM you my interviewer's contact info.

Seems like a cool experience. If you want to take a gap year and do this, it would likely help come admissions time (and maybe later on since you will have more pubs?)

If you feel you are ready to apply though, then it doesn't make sense to wait a year for the money alone.

Seems like a cool experience. If you want to take a gap year and do this, it would likely help come admissions time (and maybe later on since you will have more pubs?)

If you feel you are ready to apply though, then it doesn't make sense to wait a year for the money alone.
to clarify, I would take a year off between my junior and senior year (essentially a co-op). I would want to take a gap year after graduation regardless. I just wonder with interests rates at an all time low, the probability of them going up, and the opportunity of paying off interest before it compounds at 10% if it might be worth it because of how long it takes to pay off.

to clarify, I would take a year off between my junior and senior year (essentially a co-op). I would want to take a gap year after graduation regardless. I just wonder with interests rates at an all time low, the probability of them going up, and the opportunity of paying off interest before it compounds at 10% if it might be worth it because of how long it takes to pay off.

Do some calculations. How much interest would you compound if you didn't pay it off with the money you would net from this job? Would it be enough to forgo ~150k+ of attending salary for a year?

Do some calculations. How much interest would you compound if you didn't pay it off with the money you would net from this job? Would it be enough to forgo ~150k+ of attending salary for a year?
JK I am an idiot.

People are sitting here acting like the difference in say 35 years vs of attending salary vs 36 years of attending salary has any bearing or significance. It's largely irrelevant to your decision. No one's life and future after they are gone is dictated by a years worth of attending salary. No one knows when they will retire or one of many life's major occurences pops up in an unexpected way. Don't look at this like "I'm losing 100K because the research pays 90K vs an attending salary of 190K". Plus when you are of age for retirement, will having that extra year of attending salary(lets say only career salary of 4.5 million vs 4.7 million as an ex) have any real bearing on your life, your familys life and their future family? For a number of physicians(including the ones in my extended family who are doctors) the answer is without question no.In fact, there are quite a number of physicians of all ages I know who would argue the opposite; they wish they had time to take a gap year or two in hindsight(back when it was alot less common) and think it would have been great for them.

People don't take gap years to try and make significant money. They take gap years to build invaluable experiences, take a breather from studies and most importantly do things they'll never have quite the opportunity to again in their life as well as experiencing their young and mid 20's(which is experienced differently when studying 80 hours a week in a dark library). If someone wants to gap years, the financial hit of only having 35 years of attending salary vs 36 is the last thing in the world to think about. Because if money is something that is that much of a concern to you and where that extra 200K when you retire is that important(and in some situations it might be I'm not trying to say it NEVER in any situation is), choosing a career where you aren't going to make significant money for another 10 years or so might not be the right way to go about life to say the least.

The only thing I'll say is there are those in financially hard times right now who need to start the process ASAP to start making money to pay off family loans and other various debts and expenses. Those are people who should consider the financial hit of a gap year. Is this your situation OP? And if it is, do you think the 90k you make in the next year will be of significant benefit to your family vs not making any money while in school but getting an attending's salary and residents salary a year earlier? That's really the time I would ever consider the financial hit of a gap year.

Check your motivations for wanting do this job. It is a once in a life time opportunity. It happens to pay well so when you have down time you can spend rather lavishly. There are many things to gain from it. There are also negatives of it but the whole losing one year of attending physician's salary should not be one of them worth much thought.

Last edited:
People are sitting here acting like the difference in say 35 years vs of attending salary vs 36 years of attending salary has any bearing or significance. It's largely irrelevant to your decision. No one's life and future after they are gone is dictated by a years worth of attending salary. No one knows when they will retire or one of many life's major occurences pops up in an unexpected way. Don't look at this like "I'm losing 100K because the research pays 90K vs an attending salary of 190K". Plus when you are of age for retirement, will having that extra year of attending salary(lets say only career salary of 4.5 million vs 4.7 million as an ex) have any real bearing on your life, your familys life and their future family? For a number of physicians(including the ones in my extended family who are doctors) the answer is without question no.In fact, there are quite a number of physicians of all ages I know who would argue the opposite; they wish they had time to take a gap year or two in hindsight(back when it was alot less common) and think it would have been great for them.

People don't take gap years to try and make significant money. They take gap years to build invaluable experiences, take a breather from studies and most importantly do things they'll never have quite the opportunity to again in their life as well as experiencing their young and mid 20's(which is experienced differently when studying 80 hours a week in a dark library). If someone wants to gap years, the financial hit of only having 35 years of attending salary vs 36 is the last thing in the world to think about. Because if money is something that is that much of a concern to you and where that extra 200K when you retire is that important(and in some situations it might be I'm not trying to say it NEVER in any situation is), choosing a career where you aren't going to make significant money for another 10 years or so might not be the right way to go about life to say the least.

The only thing I'll say is there are those in financially hard times right now who need to start the process ASAP to start making money to pay off family loans and other various debts and expenses. Those are people who should consider the financial hit of a gap year. Is this your situation OP? And if it is, do you think the 90k you make in the next year will be of significant benefit to your family vs not making any money while in school but getting an attending's salary and residents salary a year earlier? That's really the time I would ever consider the financial hit of a gap year.

Check your motivations for wanting do this job. It is a once in a life time opportunity. It happens to pay well so when you have down time you can spend rather lavishly. There are many things to gain from it. There are also negatives of it but the whole losing one year of attending physician's salary should not be one of them worth much thought.
This people! I'm not understanding why he should base his salary off how much attending salary he loses.

90k to a 22 year can achieve a whole lot more happiness than an extra 150k, heck even 500k, can for a 65 year old.

I have zero undergrad loans but will be paying for medical school. It's quite true that this money will go farther now then it will in the future. I was thinking of using it so I could go live in Colombia with my girlfriend for a year and do some EMT gigs that pay little to nothing during my gap year. I thinkwhat GrapesofRath said is true, but I do have accrued savings thanks to my parents paying for undergrad and the COL in Colombia is very cheap. Regardless I will be doing something to decompress after graduation, but am not sure if that plan requires 90K.

This people! I'm not understanding why he should base his salary off how much attending salary he loses.

90k to a 22 year can achieve a whole lot more happiness than an extra 150k, heck even 500k, can for a 65 year old.

You're misunderstanding. He is saying if earning that 90k will be enough to make a dent in the interest payments for his loans. If that is the primary concern, then it simply makes more sense to start medical school a year earlier because the money you make as an attending will overshadow whatever you net in that 90k, and it would have been a waste of a year (if the main concern is finances.)

Financially it doesn't make sense. If OP wants to take the position because it seems interesting to him, then by all means go for it. I think it seems like a cool experience, and will likely help come med school application time.