Pharmacist Diet Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Title says it all...just curious what others are doing...there's just so many factors to consider (personal health, climate/weather, costs, macronutrient/kcal goals, micronutrient goals, vitamin/mineral goals, food volume, variety in food groups consumed/balance, equipment, digestion, etc.)

Thinking of refining my diet with more emphasis on frugality and environment (plan on investing in an air fryer)...mostly frozen fruits and vegetables with fish (budget versions of oysters and salmon, maybe tuna) and greek yogurt as protein sources. Supplement with V8 and high density greens (powdered spirulina, chlorella tablets) when called for (seasonal changes usually)

Not to get overly technical but aiming for balance similar to MIND, DASH, Mediterranean styles of diet (been practicing similar to for the past 2+ years after years of low-carb/keto style diets)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I eat a lot of Chipotle and Coke Zero. And Oreo O's a few times a week.

I used to eat a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, but not recently. Because the bastards at Peter Pan can't keep up with the demand for the Honey Roasted Crunchy variety.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I eat a lot of Chipotle and Coke Zero. And Oreo O's a few times a week.

I used to eat a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, but not recently. Because the bastards at Peter Pan can't keep up with the demand for the Honey Roasted Crunchy variety.
Idk what it is with coke zero. I like diet coke better.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I shoot for ~1.5g/kg protein daily, moderate fats and carbs (complex carbs and healthier fats mainly). Goal 40-50p/20f/20-30c macro split, but I eat good and workout to eat what I want when I want for the most part (everything in moderation). ~4-5 servings of fresh fruits/veggies day. I walk 20-30min daily and lift 3-5x/week before work. Sometimes just sprinting/jump roping and body weight work in my home gym for 30min if pressed for time.

Depends on current goal, cutting or bulking. Right now I'm cutting so I'm at 2300 calories per day. Bulking typically 3000 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I am a believer in IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)...caveat being the lack of focus/effort on including nutrient dense foods. Seems alright/flexible enough for somewhat shorter term goals (3-6 months or so) for them "young whipper snappers" for cutting or bulking. Getting older, I'm more interested in just sticking around maintenance and focusing more on longevity rather than shorter terms changes.

Bang for your buck, nutrient dense foods I'm making staples in my diet: frozen berries (blueberries, triple berry blends), tinned oysters, chlorella/spirulina/kale/broccoli (haven't quite settled on this one; hopefully will get into a rhythm, get new ideas with an air fryer, be able to down greens more easily without relying on oils or avocado...just too many kcals)

Last edited:
I’m a believer in keeping “your insulin levels low” by not partaking in the standard American diet which is rich in refined carbohydrates and sugars that stimulate pancreatic insulin secretion and resultant weight /fat gain . Most Americans are overweight or obese because of chronically high insulin levels that result in insulin resistance . You can suffer from insulin resistance while having a normal A1C and blood glucose while your pancreas is overproducing insulin for years until you eventually become diabetic . A majority of Americans are hyperinsulinemic and you can see it from the pot bellies, heart disease , etc that this nation suffers . Therefore , I eat quality fats , protein , and I eat carbohydrates but mostly natural - quinoa , no white rice or rarely any rice , no candy, no sugar unless it’s a special occasion . Lots of meats , eggs , quinoa , vegetables , coffee , dairy , etc . American diet or burger and fries ? Just no . Only once a week or maybe just special occasions but generally try to eat as clean as possible with some indulgences here and there . As a result , in combination with strength training for 30 minutes 3 times a week and some cardio , I’m lean at around 12% body fat .

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a believer in keeping “your insulin levels low” by not partaking in the standard American diet which is rich in refined carbohydrates and sugars that stimulate pancreatic insulin secretion and resultant weight /fat gain . Most Americans are overweight or obese because of chronically high insulin levels that result in insulin resistance . You can suffer from insulin resistance while having a normal A1C and blood glucose while your pancreas is overproducing insulin for years until you eventually become diabetic . A majority of Americans are hyperinsulinemic and you can see it from the pot bellies, heart disease , etc that this nation suffers . Therefore , I eat quality fats , protein , and I eat carbohydrates but mostly natural - quinoa , no white rice or rarely any rice , no candy, no sugar unless it’s a special occasion . Lots of meats , eggs , quinoa , vegetables , coffee , dairy , etc . American diet or burger and fries ? Just no . Only once a week or maybe just special occasions but generally try to eat as clean as possible with some indulgences here and there . As a result , in combination with strength training for 30 minutes 3 times a week and some cardio , I’m lean at around 12% body fat .
Yeah, never been into carbohydrate dense foods...I think of them more as filler foods despite some healthy options (quinoa, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, etc....hard time digesting). Just not worth the kcal investment for what little nutrients they provide (mostly just B vitamins, low amounts of Fe2-3+, etc...nothing significant or noteworthy).

I want to increase my beef intake to increase protein but I have a severe disgust of chewy meats. I don't know if it is because of the butcher or if I'm overcooking the food or lack of high heat cooking method.

I wish I could make steaks like Peter Luger at home, but you can only do so much without a 1500 degree broiler and 28 day dry aged USDA prime steaks are expensive.

Well, I am a believer in IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros)...caveat being the lack of focus/effort on including nutrient dense foods. Seems alright/flexible enough for somewhat shorter term goals (3-6 months or so) for them "young whipper snappers" for cutting or bulking. Getting older, I'm more interested in just sticking around maintenance and focusing more on longevity rather than shorter terms changes.

Bang for your buck, nutrient dense foods I'm making staples in my diet: frozen berries (blueberries, triple berry blends), tinned oysters, chlorella/spirulina/kale/broccoli (haven't quite settled on this one; hopefully will get into a rhythm, get new ideas with an air fryer, be able to down greens more easily without relying on oils or avocado...just too many kcals)

A majority of my life has been spent following IIFYM and I do follow that on my weekends. Although I do stay within my daily caloric limit so that I don't undo the progress I made during the week. I'm 40 now so I don't really consider myself a "young whipper snapper" but I am single so I do need to keep up with a better physique. I don't get to rock the dad bod just yet.

Reactions: 1 users

Where is the data to support this thinking, though? Insulin is not some evil monster. You keep blood glucose and insulin low by increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing insulin resistance (ie exercising often, especially weight lifting). Watching foods for glycemic index isn't worthwhile since you rarely eat anything by itself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, never been into carbohydrate dense foods...I think of them more as filler foods despite some healthy options (quinoa, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, etc....hard time digesting). Just not worth the kcal investment for what little nutrients they provide (mostly just B vitamins, low amounts of Fe2-3+, etc...nothing significant or noteworthy).
Brown rice tastes like garbage. I keep trying to switch to brown rice but always go back to white rice. Dont know how people can do it.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is the data to support this thinking, though? Insulin is not some evil monster. You keep blood glucose and insulin low by increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing insulin resistance (ie exercising often, especially weight lifting). Watching foods for glycemic index isn't worthwhile since you rarely eat anything by itself.
This is mostly why I don't believe in carbophobia propaganda...Glycemic index is irrelevant when combining carbohydrates with fats and proteins (slows digestion/transit time significantly). Benefits of carbs > Detriments?...kind of ideal for the general people who lift weights or are into athletic activities (no, no discussion on extreme low/no carb endurance athletes who are outliers)

I have found this to be the best well-balanced diet which helps me keep going. Very nutritious and wholesome. I fit in really well with the Whole Foods and bike riding crowd. I even wear skinny jeans sometimes.

Sunday: Heavy on the red meat day
Monday: vegan day - add meat to taste
Tuesday: Taco day for sure. Random Mexican food restaurant
Wednesday: Cheeseburger day. Find a huge one
Thursday: salad day - must have meat and cheese with ranch - preferably steak or bacon
Friday: Pizza day. Sausage and mushroom for sure
Saturday: teriyaki day

I take lots of multivitamins and fish oil - and a statin so it’s cool

This is mostly why I don't believe in carbophobia propaganda...Glycemic index is irrelevant when combining carbohydrates with fats and proteins (slows digestion/transit time significantly). Benefits of carbs > Detriments?...kind of ideal for the general people who lift weights or are into athletic activities (no, no discussion on extreme low/no carb endurance athletes who are outliers)
Lifting weights on a low carb diet is impossible. But I have a belly i cant get rid of. When I cut carbs, the only thing that happen is I become skinny fat.

I have found this to be the best well-balanced diet which helps me keep going. Very nutritious and wholesome. I fit in really well with the Whole Foods and bike riding crowd. I even wear skinny jeans sometimes.

Sunday: Heavy on the red meat day
Monday: vegan day - add meat to taste
Tuesday: Taco day for sure. Random Mexican food restaurant
Wednesday: Cheeseburger day. Find a huge one
Thursday: salad day - must have meat and cheese with ranch - preferably steak or bacon
Friday: Pizza day. Sausage and mushroom for sure
Saturday: teriyaki day

I take lots of multivitamins and fish oil - and a statin so it’s cool
Every day is a cheat day. I like it.

Lifting weights on a low carb diet is impossible. But I have a belly i cant get rid of. When I cut carbs, the only thing that happen is I become skinny fat.

I did insanely strict keto for 8 weeks and melted off the fat. 1700-1800 calories per day, lifting and cardio 3x week. Could have had even better results if I had done 5x week in the gym but I'll take what I can get. After that diet I went to a trainer and went on another structured diet but one with a normal proteins/carb/fat ratio. Bulked from December-May and now I've been cutting since June. I can definitely tell the difference between 300g of carbs and 200g. I get tired much more quickly.

I have the perfect solution. Have you ever seen those things that you strap into and it jiggles your belly in an intense way? They were popular many decades ago but are coming back. If you loose weight easy in your legs - you use this belly jiggler thing and it transfers the fat to your legs. Then just work it off normally.

I saw this on some blog and it’s confirmed with Google reviews. Mueller exercise belt

• Haha
what do you mean by skinny fat?

You lose weight every where except belly.
"Skinny fat" is a phrase used to describe people who appear to be a healthy weight (by BMI standards) yet have a relatively high body fat percentage. It's medically known as "normal weight obesity" (as in, a "normal" weight range for that person's height), although the jury's still out on what percentage of body fat counts as obese in someone with a "normal" weight, according to the Mayo Clinic.

I want to increase my beef intake to increase protein but I have a severe disgust of chewy meats. I don't know if it is because of the butcher or if I'm overcooking the food or lack of high heat cooking method.

I wish I could make steaks like Peter Luger at home, but you can only do so much without a 1500 degree broiler and 28 day dry aged USDA prime steaks are expensive.
Alright, I think everyone wants the scoop/more details on @Sparda29
Thought you were trying low-carb/trying to better yourself at least last I recall in the weight management/diet realm?

Alright, I think everyone wants the scoop/more details on @Sparda29
Thought you were trying low-carb/trying to better yourself at least last I recall in the weight management/diet realm?

It's hard to maintain it. I'll end up doing like spurts of low carb and then mix it up with low calorie but allowing carbs. Started taking Rybelsus also, luckily the insurance covers it and lost 35 lbs in 3 months. Makes you full super fast and slows digestion so it's one way of calorie control.

"Skinny fat" is a phrase used to describe people who appear to be a healthy weight (by BMI standards) yet have a relatively high body fat percentage. It's medically known as "normal weight obesity" (as in, a "normal" weight range for that person's height), although the jury's still out on what percentage of body fat counts as obese in someone with a "normal" weight, according to the Mayo Clinic.

I'd rather be "big fat" than "skinny fat". At least when you're big, you'll have more muscles = stronger.

Over the past 3 years, I dropped about 22 lbs so I'm back to around what I was when I graduated pharm school. First 8 came off from keto, the rest came off when I switched to a more plant based and pescatarian diet while doing the 40 workout strength challenge.

I still follow that workout and diet and try to limit meat (especially red meat) to once a week.

Intermittent fasting 6 days, OMAD 1 day, and fasted HIIT 3 days per week

IF helped me loose 30 pounds. Now I don't follow strictly but maintaining current weight without much effort. Cut down all added sugar. I skip breakfast and can last till late afternoon on just black coffee. Also working out while fasting speeds up fat burn.

In what universe? Big fat means you have a lot more fat, not necessarily more muscle.

If you're carrying more weight, you're going to have more muscles just on the account of having to support that weight (at least in your lower body).

Maybe I used the wrong words, "muscle fat". What I'm picturing is the "fat powerlifter".

• Haha
In what universe? Big fat means you have a lot more fat, not necessarily more muscle.
google "NFL offensive tackle". Those dudes can't see their toes and could casually pick up your car.

google "NFL offensive tackle". Those dudes can't see their toes and could casually pick up your car.
I would consider them "strong fat" and not "big fat." Big fat to me just means you're fat and you're out of shape. Doesn't make you stronger because your skin has contorted and stretched to cartoon-like dimensions due to massive amounts of fat.

1627608825059.png

Strong-fat, muscular. These guys are genetic outliers/sport is heavily determined by genetics...your typical strongman is like 6'5'' plus and 300+ lbs more or less

I don't diet. Diets are dumb. Just change your lifestyle to a healthy-ish one, and then you can stop dieting.

I try to eat mostly whole foods, and try to limit my sweets (that's hard. I love sweets. But if I don't buy them, I probably won't eat them either.). I eat until I'm full, and then I stop. Read some Michael Pollan and basically do what he says for food.

Exercise at least 3 times per week; I do some great cardio and some minimal weight lifting (weight bearing exercise is important) so I can keep my bones strong and have strong muscles and a healthy heart. Follow CDC guidelines for foods and exercise. I exceed their vigorous exercise recommendations most weeks. I've been at the low end of healthy BMI for most of my life so it seems to work.

Try using an app for exercise if you want. Lots of great choices now like Peloton, etc. No bike or treadmill needed; there are so many options now and they make it more fun.

Last edited:
I am on the John diet. Jimmy John's, Papa John's, Long John Silver's, Taco John's (out of the way, so not so much.)
Supplemented by microwave dinner's when I don't feel like eating out.

• Haha
I am on the John diet. Jimmy John's, Papa John's, Long John Silver's, Taco John's (out of the way, so not so much.)
Supplemented by microwave dinner's when I don't feel like eating out.

I wish there was still a long John silvers around me. I remember 20 years ago the hush puppies were the best.

That and Kenny Rogers roasters is all I ever wanted.

• Love
I am on the CVS diet. I fast 13 hours a day. A1c 5% and cholesterol is perfect.

• Haha
  • Care