Pharmacist Prescribing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't say ACLS was a bad thing! I stated that it is necessary to cross train!

you certainly made it out to be a bad thing with your outstanding example you used.

The thread is still very current but you are acting if these people still post and that you were in the conversation from the get go. I mean you resurrected this thread by posting a reply to someone's question. Perhaps in the 3 years between the original posting and your reply, people found the answer. Its that simple!

Members don't see this ad.

you can learn ACLS. Pharmacists can take the course.

I was talking more in terms of big picture. That is to say everyone has to have some knowledge outside of what is strictly their area of focus. CPR was just the first simple example that came to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid and probably inaccurate statement. As a matter of fact, there is data supporting that a pharmacist's selection of antimicrobial therapy is superior to an Infectious Diseases Fellow's (ie, an individual who has been a physician for 3 years, see Gross R, et al. Clin Infect Dis 2001;33:289-95). Also, pharmacists trained in ID Pharmacotherapy are hired specifically to help combat and reduce antimicrobial resistance by promoting evidence based drug selection (among other things that are beyond the scope of my post) in many of the top health-systems in the country.

You forgot to address the fact that we don't know how to DIAGNOSE. I never said anything about a pharmacist's inability for proper drug selection.

I wouldn't mind a pharmacist making the decision on drug therapy after they knew what disease state the patient had. But when it comes to determining what the patient actually has, I believe a doctor knows a little bit more about diagnostics.

You forgot to address the fact that we don't know how to DIAGNOSE. I never said anything about a pharmacist's inability for proper drug selection.

I wouldn't mind a pharmacist making the decision on drug therapy after they knew what disease state the patient had. But when it comes to determining what the patient actually has, I believe a doctor knows a little bit more about diagnostics.

Pharmacists wouldn't need diagnostic ability to prescribe. Physician diagnoses and provides the diagnosis to the pharmacist, pharmacist makes the drug selection.

Pharmacists wouldn't need diagnostic ability to prescribe. Physician diagnoses and provides the diagnosis to the pharmacist, pharmacist makes the drug selection.

That statement is very simplistic. Diagnosing and drug selection are not mutually exclusive.

Unless the drug is used to elucidate between potential diagnoses...for all intents and purposes...yeah, it is....

Who is willing to assume the liability involved?? While the two are different, there is a sizable overlap between them (visualize two intersecting circles). MDs have both diagnostic and and drug selection knowledge, although its debatable how much pharmaceutical knowledge they have.

However, pharmacists have lots of pharmaceutical knowledge and know or trained very little in diagnostics. Now you can see how that dynamic would only cause more problems than solutions.

Who is willing to assume the liability involved?? While the two are different, there is a sizable overlap between them (visualize two intersecting circles). MDs have both diagnostic and and drug selection knowledge, although its debatable how much pharmaceutical knowledge they have.

However, pharmacists have lots of pharmaceutical knowledge and know or trained very little in diagnostics. Now you can see how that dynamic would only cause more problems than solutions.

That's all well and good, but diagnosis and drug product selection are still different.

How about we eliminate dental, podiatric, pharmacy and osteopathic schools, give everyone MDs, and have all "jobs" be based entirely on post-graduate training. Oh and also eliminate the need for prior bachelor degrees because that's just straight up ******ed.

Then we can all work together as a team and hold hands and hug a lot.

How about we eliminate dental, podiatric, pharmacy and osteopathic schools, give everyone MDs, and have all "jobs" be based entirely on post-graduate training. Oh and also eliminate the need for prior bachelor degrees because that's just straight up ******ed.

Then we can all work together as a team and hold hands and hug a lot.

They should. I have no idea why there are dental and podiatry schools. Those should be medical specialties. As should pharmacotherapy.

But...is what it is...

They should. I have no idea why there are dental and podiatry schools. Those should be medical specialties. As should pharmacotherapy.

But...is what it is...

Nobody thought about this beforehand and just wanted to carve out their own little niche without trying to figure out how best to design a system. Ie it's all based on what's best for the practitioners and not necessarily on what's best for the public.

total clusterf*ck if you ask me