Pharmacist to CPA career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistFl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently pharmacy manager with 14 years of rph under my belt. Believe or not my dream has always been to become a CPA. I love numbers/finance and accounting. I pursued pharmacy due to the $$$ and have been blessed with a successful career and accumulated decent wealth. Should I continue my rph career even though I feel it's a dragged and I'm very much jaded? Or pursue my dream of being a CPA? I'm in my late 30s.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not both? Pursue your dream of CPA and when that career takes off then leave pharmacy. I don’t think being a CPA is as glamorous as it used to be no?

Reactions: 1 user
Go down to a few days a week and start studying something else. Being a retail pharmacist at a corporation for 20 or 30 years is insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make the jump if that’s what you want to do. I envision you’d be primed for a revenue cycle career in the hospital with such an intimate knowledge of medication costs/charging and a CPA. Or just leave healthcare altogether.

Just know that CPA work is quite grueling in itself as well. There are a bunch of burnouts from Big Accounting. But, it's a fine job to have, and if that's what you want to do, it's a respectable job to do. If you can deal with chain pharmacy, Big Accounting will work. You should know that there is ageism in that field too, so you will have to get solid financials as beyond 55, jobs are rarely stable and freelance work is the standard.

Reactions: 2 users