Pharmacist volunteering in a hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpjeapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a California pharmacist and am finding it hard to find a part-time pharmacist position in either retail/hospital. I am thinking of finding a volunteer position in a hospital pharmacy to gain experience.

I did a search on SDN for "hospital volunteer" and a lot of posts that came up said that hospital volunteering didn't amount to much for a lot of people. I wanted to know if hospital pharmacist share that feeling about volunteering in a hospital. Are volunteers usually able to find paid position at the same hospital? Thanks.

P.S.: I am in So Cal.

Members don't see this ad.

I know one who did, but it was on the East Coast. She had left clinical pharm, wanted to return so volunteered and it translated into a job.

Main thing is: If you are on the premises when job becomes available, generally you will get first offer.
johnep

Members don't see this ad :)
volunteering is bull****

as a pharm student, i refuse to waste my time volunteering in pharmacy..

volunteering is bull****

haaaa i almost did. Then luckily I landed a job in a hospital

my god when I was trying to volunteer in a hospital pharmacy near my school they gave me such a hard time like I was going to steal drugs or something. So honestly I think it wouldn't be a good idea to volunteer in any hospital pharmacy.

Why can't you get a full-time position?

hard to find a job in cali? seriously? are you hesitant to move? why would you EVER volunteer if you are a licensed pharmacist...don't waste your time! don't be scared to move to some rural town...i bet you'll find a job!

Alaska having the nearly the same shortage as California??

[SIZE=-1]Data and information are provided for informational purposes only.
Neither the Pharmacy Manpower Project nor any of its affiliates shall
be liable for any errors or delays in the content
or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

[/SIZE]says it all.

Why can't you get a full-time position?

I am only looking for a part-time position. There are a few part-time hospital position available, but they ask for experience, which I don't have. So I was thinking that I could volunteer and gain experience. Unfortunately, so far I haven't had much luck on that front either.

hard to find a job in cali? seriously? are you hesitant to move? why would you EVER volunteer if you are a licensed pharmacist...don't waste your time! don't be scared to move to some rural town...i bet you'll find a job!

There are jobs in cali, but I am only looking to work in the evenings/weekends. Those kind of jobs are hard to come by, at least here in so cal right now. I am not looking to move, so I will just keep trying :)

Hi CPJEAPPLICANT,
Could you plesae give me some advice. Did you finally find a volunteer position in a hospital? Or did you finally find a job in Orange County?
I really appreciate your answer

volunteering is bull****

and that is the attitude that will follow you and show through in your interviews for future jobs and/or residencies and you will be the one complaining on this board that you cannot find a job.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy crap people replying to a 5 year old thread...