Pharmacy 6-year program questions

Mark4275

High School Senior
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in high school and have been very interested in doing a 6 year pharmacy school. The thing is, I don't know how to apply. I cannot find a place that talks about it on any of the site. Do you apply to the college itself then fill out some other application to get into the 6 year program or is there some part of the application that asks about doing the 6 year program?

Members don't see this ad.

The only Pharm-D 6 Year Programs i know of straight out of highschool are in
Long Island University and St. Johns University both schools in New York City.

And yes you have to apply directly to them and there programs!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.acp.edu/admissions_freshmen.html
http://www.usp.edu/academics/directentry.shtml
http://www.mcphs.edu/admission/apply_to_mcphs/index.html#PharmD

Albany's app is not available yet - and they will be a 2+4 school with guaranteed admission starting in 2009. You're applying as a freshman to all of these and yes they will ask what program you're applying for! I'm not familiar with FAMU. Good luck!

I am confused, are you saying it doesn't have a six year program?

EDIT: and who will I know when they are accepting applications without having to make a login name?

Last edited:
I know about the program change at ACP because I emailed admissions and they told me it was true. This is excerpted from their reply:

It is true that ACP has converted from a 0-6 program to a 2+4, however there are stipulations that go along with the change. To meet the ACPE’s pharmacy standards, ACP has made a few changes to the Doctor of Pharmacy program. Although the program now a 2+4 program, all of the freshman that are accepted and enrolled into the Doctor of Pharmacy program out of high school have a seat reserved for all six years of the program. So as long as the students meet the requirements, they will be in the Doctor of Pharmacy program and graduate with a Pharm.D degree.

You don't need a login id for ACP. They will have their downloadable app available soon. You do need to create a login id for the others - is that a problem for you? If so, call or email the admissions office and i'm sure they'll send you a paper app. One of them, I think USP, will waive their app fee if you apply online though.

No it is not a problem to make a login, I just don't want to have to make a login to see when the application is available.

And, so on the application there will be like a spot on there for general admission, pharmacy school, business, engineering, ect.? Just making sure I don't accidentally apply to something I don't want to do.

USP in philadelphia is a 6 year PharmD program and is a great school, make sure you check it out and visit!

isn't tuition a killer though?

It is at any private school:

USP:27,130
Duquesne:25,407 (Pre-pharm)
ACP:20,650 (2+4)
MCPHS:21,200 (However, room is 8k+)
Wilkes: 25,170
Pitt:19,000 (not priv, just for comparison)

So it is the most expensive in that list, but not by much.

6th yearr is a killer, 42,000 right now.

I am glad I have residency in two states.

What is your second state? Will they grant you state aid there (I'm assuming you don't want to go to school in the state where you live) and are there any pharm schools you're considering there? The private schools are pricey but also generally offer more merit money which helps alot. Now if you can get merit aid, state aid, and qualify for federal too, it's not such a grim picture. There are also addt'l federal loan programs for pharmacy and other health related students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am glad I have residency in two states.

Be careful about that. It may be true, but it's also possible to find out that neither state will consider you a resident for tuition purposes. I learned the painful way that it's possible to live somewhere almost your entire life, and not have your state university consider you a resident.

I live in Oklahoma so Southwestern Oklahoma and Oklahoma University are two high picks. Along with that my dad has Florida residency because of military and I know Florida University accepts that as in state along with FAMU. Right now FAMU is my highest pick out of all the schools due to tuition, location, and what I have heard people say. I just can't find any information on how hard it is to get accepted there. Does anyone know?

If I don't go to FAMU, I will more then likely go to a community college that has a pre-pharmacy program based soley on OU and SWOSU guidlines.

Mark - I see what you mean - FAMU seems to be revamping their website and doesn't report much info to the compiled services either. I would post a message on the pre-pharm board to see if you can dialogue with a FAMU student and/or email their admissions office and ask for the average stats and number of acceptances for the incoming pre-pharm class.
Are you not considering doing your pre-pharm at the OK pharmacy colleges? I've heard of people having to re-do coursework when they transfer from a non-pharm school so you might check this out in advance to make sure the CC credits would really transfer!

Well, I e-mailed my local community college and they verified that all classes would transfer. I also just got an email back from a local hospital saying that as long as I apply for a volunteer spot I would get it. So, that helps my 0+6 application. I am very excited.

Mark - I see what you mean - FAMU seems to be revamping their website and doesn't report much info to the compiled services either. I would post a message on the pre-pharm board to see if you can dialogue with a FAMU student and/or email their admissions office and ask for the average stats and number of acceptances for the incoming pre-pharm class.
Are you not considering doing your pre-pharm at the OK pharmacy colleges? I've heard of people having to re-do coursework when they transfer from a non-pharm school so you might check this out in advance to make sure the CC credits would really transfer!

In terms of connecting with a FAMU student, you might look at the sticky in prepharm to see which users were recently accepted.

I have tried contacting all FAMU students. None have replied. I will just wait it out.

Doesn't SWOSU have a 2+4 program? I don't think it's guaranteed admission, but I have heard that they strongly prefer applicants who did their undergrad at SWOSU. On their website, it looked like you just have to go through the regular undergrad admission process to get into the pre-pharm program. Should be pretty easy to get in:)

Just for the record, UMKC (Missouri - Kansas City) has a 5-year BA/Pharm D program. I know a few people in it, and they love it. You might check that out.

If you want to stay in Oklahoma your best chance is to do pre-pharmacy at SWOSU and then apply for their pharmacy. SWOSU likes their own students, how they deciede admissions is..... if your an ok resident and attend SWOSU you get top priorty, next pool is ok resident did not attend SWOSU, then non OK resident, but resident of border state, resident of some other state it actually says in the letter "need not apply"

I live in Oklahoma so Southwestern Oklahoma and Oklahoma University are two high picks. Along with that my dad has Florida residency because of military and I know Florida University accepts that as in state along with FAMU. Right now FAMU is my highest pick out of all the schools due to tuition, location, and what I have heard people say. I just can't find any information on how hard it is to get accepted there. Does anyone know?

If I don't go to FAMU, I will more then likely go to a community college that has a pre-pharmacy program based soley on OU and SWOSU guidlines.