Pharmacy and hobbies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does pharmacy give you time to enjoy your hobbies?

I know that most pharmacists work 45+ hours a week which doesnt seem to be that bad.

Im currently big into music (play guitar in a band). I know Pharm school involves a lot of work and so does pharmacy, but what Im wondering is: will pharmacy prevent me from doing other things in life that I enjoy (such as music)? This applies to anyone with any hobby for that matter.

I know pharmacy is a great profession, but im still determining if it will "fit" for me (hopefully ill get to work in one soon).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know that most pharmacists work 45+ hours a week which doesnt seem to be that bad.

Im currently big into music (play guitar in a band). I know Pharm school involves a lot of work and so does pharmacy, but what Im wondering is: will pharmacy prevent me from doing other things in life that I enjoy (such as music)? This applies to anyone with any hobby for that matter.

I know pharmacy is a great profession, but im still determining if it will "fit" for me (hopefully ill get to work in one soon).

Thanks

Hobbies are not allowed. I think it is your contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's all about time management.

manage well? yes.

manage not so well? maybe. maybe not.

1 week = 168 hours
work week = 45 hours

hobbies = 123 hours per week

thats a lot of hobby.

haha, plus if you were a night pharmacist and did 7 on 7 off... thats a whole week of doing hobbies!

right, and you sleep and eat and do your essential daily tasks for 0 hours in those 123 hours.

Sleeping/eating is for noobs dude, METH ftw.

lol anyways, when you work 7 0n 7 off don't you have to work like 80 hours+ a week? I dunno if i could do that but who knows

At least at this point in my naive thinking, I would love to do a 7 on 7 off. I'd be taking a week long vacation once a month. Or if you get bored, imagine picking up some more hours on your off week. I can't help it, I'm a workoholic, I NEED WORKOHOL. I go crazy with nothing to do, and if I can be making money in bored times, why not?

40 hrs a week? That is not very much

However, i plan on working part time after i pay off my loans. Maybe you could do this as well

I do not think that it would be too much of a worry whether you will have time for hobbies or not. Even now as a fourth year student on rotations, I put in most of my time at work during the day, then I have most of my evenings and weekends to do what I like.

I feel that unless you go into management, or get involved in a good deal of research work, you can mostly keep your work at work. It is all about prioritization and making sure you use your time most efficiently so you have as satisfying of both a professional and personal life as you desire.

if you do all of your studying during the week (like do homework as soon as you get out of class until you go to sleep), then you could have the whole weekend to enjoy any kind of hobby you have. But, it would be exhausting after a while.

I own/administer a music-related website on the side. I spend probably 10-12 hours per week on it. It's hardly a hobby that offers me a chance for much physical exercise, but I've found it to be the greatest thing in the world for me. Wish I had known 24 years ago!!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you do all of your studying during the week (like do homework as soon as you get out of class until you go to sleep), then you could have the whole weekend to enjoy any kind of hobby you have. But, it would be exhausting after a while.

You're spending that much time studying in p1 year??!

Thanks

Absolutely, yes.

I changed career paths when I realized I didn't want to spend my life making my hobbies a "job"...then no longer enjoy doing it anymore.

I guess I lucked out and love what I do now too...I'm good at it, and it allows me to still pursue everything else as well. When I'm working, I'll bust my a**, but when I'm not...I more than make up for it. You've got to have something to look forward to at the end of a hard work week, whether it be your family, hobby, passion...something to make it worthwhile. :)

40 hrs a week? That is not very much

However, i plan on working part time after i pay off my loans. Maybe you could do this as well

Thats an interesting idea, when would you plan on returning to pharmacy?

I dont think I plan to do that but im just curious.

Ability to pursue hobbies outside of work is one of the greatest advantages to being a pharmacist. You usually do not take work home with you (like many in research) and are not tied to an electronic leash (like many physicians).

Thanks
dear this is the frist time i share with my point of view in such topics as this is my frist time to enter an english forum but i ask u a question why pharmacy is a good career in all world except in my country
in my country the pharmacist is considered as aseller only not a doctor
but my great love to pharmacy ismy deriving force to study hard to be a good pharmacist and for ur topic i see that pharmacy itself is a hobby and i see no thing more interesting than pharmacy
pharmacy is the air i breath and the water i drink
pharmacy is the life

ah, interesting!

Yup, it's actually quite scary for some people because 1 more semester and we're off into the real world. Although, I am not happy at all about the fact that rotations are not given letter grades and instead the rotations are pass/fail.

I was hoping that I could get all A's in my rotations and use that to boost my GPA.

dear this is the frist time i share with my point of view in such topics as this is my frist time to enter an english forum but i ask u a question why pharmacy is a good career in all world except in my country
in my country the pharmacist is considered as aseller only not a doctor
but my great love to pharmacy ismy deriving force to study hard to be a good pharmacist and for ur topic i see that pharmacy itself is a hobby and i see no thing more interesting than pharmacy
pharmacy is the air i breath and the water i drink
pharmacy is the life

Translation,

Hello,

First time post as English isn't my first language. But here's my opnion on why Pharmacy is a great profession throughout the world, especially in my country. In my country, pharmacy is a product driven profession and pharmacists are considered as retailer unlike physicians. However, my love for the profession of pharmacy is the driving force in my pursuit of becoming the best pharmacy provider I can be. To me, pharmacy is my hobby. There's nothing more interesting than pharmacy as it's the air I breath and the water I drink. Pharmacy is my Life.

Sincerely.

:smuggrin:

Translation,

Hello,

First time post as English isn't my first language. But here's my opnion on why Pharmacy is a great profession throughout the world, especially in my country. In my country, pharmacy is a product driven profession and pharmacists are considered as retailer unlike physicians. However, my love for the profession of pharmacy is the driving force in my pursuit of becoming the best pharmacy provider I can be. To me, pharmacy is my hobby. There's nothing more interesting than pharmacy as it's the air I breath and the water I drink. Pharmacy is my Life.

Sincerely.

Classic stavi/Z !

Translation,

Hello,

Sincerely.

More importantly..when are you giving me a job that is not in TX?

I really hope I have time for hobbies whenever I get into a school because that is what kept me sane throughout undergraduate! lol

More importantly..when are you giving me a job that is not in TX?

:cool: You will have to decide if you want to work in Academia or Real World.

That will narrow down your choice.

Thanks

You could consider a 7 on/7 off position, but I'm assuming you need to be available for the band every week instead of every other.

I have a friend who is really into performing in plays. What she ended up doing was quitting her full time job, and signed on with a temp agency, who calls and ask whether she would be available to pick up shifts. So when she's not performing, she works full time, and declines hours when its rehearsal time. The pay is ~$50/hr, competitive with most positions in my state.

If you are prepared to sign with temp agencies. Make sure you are well experienced in many areas including hospital/retail/managed healthcare/etc. The more areas you are comfortable working, the more options the agency will have for you, and thus you have more control in pick & choose hours that fits your life for the moment.

I own/administer a music-related website on the side. I spend probably 10-12 hours per week on it. It's hardly a hobby that offers me a chance for much physical exercise, but I've found it to be the greatest thing in the world for me. Wish I had known 24 years ago!!

Don't be shy; post your website!

If you dedicate every second of your life to school and neglect fun stuff completely, a very sad depressing future is in the cards

If you want to have "free time", then pharmacy is definitely for you. After your 40 or so hours, you won't have anything else to worry about. Even during pharmacy school, I went out every weekend and still made As. It may be a little harder than undergrad, but when your whole focus is on school work and not apps + volunteering + pcat + gpa padding, then it becomes a whole lot easier.