Pharmacy Grads, Post your salary offers 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlpst94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors of hourly rates dropping but I'd like to hear some of the offers for this year.
$52/hr at Walgreens in Pittsburgh for new hires.

Members don't see this ad.

not-this-again.jpg

$Ninetynine

Members don't see this ad :)
$52 does sound really low, especially for a major city. They know people are out of work and will take anything. I was work for one company and got less than a dollar raise after working for 1 year.

$43 per hour at a southeast hospital setting for a new grad that I know...

I'm hearing $42/hr starting at memorial Hermann hospital in the Houston area.
Nurses make more than this.

Thats a high price to pay to avoid all the stress in retail

Hospital at 40.50/hr base pay, with overnight differential making it 44.50/hr total. That's just too much of a drop from 59/hr with retail. Couldn't do it.

Considering if you work a 40 hour week you are making 110k salary, thats quite a good salary. Its bound to rise. If you are willing to work 50 hours a week you can make 135k. More than most professionals in their 50s

Considering if you work a 40 hour week you are making 110k salary, thats quite a good salary. Its bound to rise. If you are willing to work 50 hours a week you can make 135k. More than most professionals in their 50s

If you can find an employment in the first place, and a full time pos... OT? forgetaboutit.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hospital starts new grads off with $44/hour, this is in Houston, TX

My hospital starts new grads off with $44/hour, this is in Houston, TX

Also in texas, few hours from you. $46/hr is the rate for new grads at ours, might manage couple dollars higher if you interned in the system. Recent PGY-1s are getting offered at $50/hr, which was what new grad got 2-3 years ago. Technicallys, DOPs can appeal to justify a higher offer than pay range allows, but don't expect that for entry level positions.

Our HR did a market survey couple of years back and adjusted the pay to "remain competitive", as they call it. Those hired before that are better off. Starting pay still differs between systems. The highest paid system in the area still pays $50/hr for new grad. But one of their DOP said their last pay survey by HR was back in 2008, so that's going to be gone. The market isn't suprising when you go from 4 pharmacy schools to 6 in last few years, and at the same time non-texans moving here for the better economic condition.

Was offered a position with Rite Aid (turned down) and offered $56.50/hr in the south east. My friend got offered a hospital job in the same area. Super awesome deal 7 on 7 off. $53/hr base pay then something like $2 extra nights and $3 extra on weekends.

Was offered a position with Rite Aid (turned down) and offered $56.50/hr in the south east. My friend got offered a hospital job in the same area. Super awesome deal 7 on 7 off. $53/hr base pay then something like $2 extra nights and $3 extra on weekends.

$53 might be pretty good for new grad base pay depending on where you are. But we do $5 / $5 for nights and weekends for hourly non-exempt (staff pharmacists). Another system I know do $7 and $7. Clinicals and management are salaried and exempt, but they have much more controls over their work hours and don't have to do nights/weekends.

A graduating student from my school at a CVS/Pharmacy was offered $114 000/year. This is in Michigan!

Is Rite Aid doing more a lot more hiring nationally? The few people I know the year ahead of me have Rite Aid offers and for our career day, RA is doing more than twice the amount of interviews as CVS, Walgreens, Wal*Mart and Target are. I always thought Rite Aid was in the worst financial position of the retail bunch so why are they hiring more?
And I'm assuming RA isn't as bad retail wise because people in here always go after CVS and Walgreens a lot more.

Is Rite Aid doing more a lot more hiring nationally? The few people I know the year ahead of me have Rite Aid offers and for our career day, RA is doing more than twice the amount of interviews as CVS, Walgreens, Wal*Mart and Target are. I always thought Rite Aid was in the worst financial position of the retail bunch so why are they hiring more?
And I'm assuming RA isn't as bad retail wise because people in here always go after CVS and Walgreens a lot more.

I'm not sure. I know a lot of people that got Rite Aid offers as well, but I heard RA was not doing well financially.

I'm not sure. I know a lot of people that got Rite Aid offers as well, but I heard RA was not doing well financially.

Rad is doing well recently, they start making profit after 6 years of 0 profit. Stocks is up so much almost 100% because Rad returns to profitability.

Bay Area, CA. Walgreens. ~$63/hr

At bay area $63/hr is no good...

I'll post what I get paid I guess.

Independent Retail in Queens, NY - $35/hour - straight cash, no tax (new grad)
Hospital in Long Island, NY - $46/hour + 10% differential for afternoon/evening shift (new grad)
Hospital in Bronx, NY - $60/hour + 10% differential for afternoon/evening shift, 25% differential for overnight shift (8 months hospital pharmacist experience).

Hospital in Long Island, NY - $46/hour + 10% differential for afternoon/evening shift (new grad)
Hospital in Bronx, NY - $60/hour + 10% differential for afternoon/evening shift, 25% differential for overnight shift (8 months hospital pharmacist experience).

What would 35hr 'under the table' equate to if it was a taxed hourly rate?

Your hospital pays $75/hr for overnight shift hours? Must be in the ghetto of ghetto's.

Don't work under the table. If something happens, are you a per diem employee or a subcontractor?

Pay the taxes and always work as a W2 employee. If you subcontract and have assets then get a LLC formed for them.

any news grads find work in alaska?

wonder what their rate is at now.....:laugh:

What would 35hr 'under the table' equate to if it was a taxed hourly rate?

About $51/hour.

Your hospital pays $75/hr for overnight shift hours? Must be in the ghetto of ghetto's.

That's the place where I work per-diem. It's a pretty good neighborhood and it's one of the best hospitals in the city.

Does anyone have any insight on the jobs in the Midwest in particular Chicago, IL, Milwaukee Wi, and St. Louis Mo?

Also when do most 5th years apply for jobs if I graduate next May, 2014???

I've worked as a Walmart pharm Intern for past 3 years, have leadership and research experience and plan to join the crazy retail pharmacy world. I would like $50 per hour but it all depends on location.

Not my own offer but confirming $78/hr for a hospital in the bay area for a PGY1 trained clinical pharm. They hired like 2-3.

Retail offers ~$63/hr in the bay area, putting you at $130k/yr, which is pretty decent in the bay area.

At bay area $63/hr is no good...

eh? maybe if you have high aspirations of living in SOMA, but for all the normal places in the bay area pulling in $130k is solidly middle class.

In NYC and Northern NJ, most good independents pay $40/hr cash. But it really ranges. There are places that pay as low as $30/hr cash or $35/hr cash. But then there are places that pay $50/hr cash. And there are also places that pay $60/hr cash. It's all about getting your foot in the door.

If you're just taking in cash 30 something an hour cash. I don't think thats worth it. What about health benefits and paying into the system, which will also help you? 30 something cash is about the same as 120k taxed depending on how many hours you work.

In NYC and Northern NJ, most good independents pay $40/hr cash. But it really ranges. There are places that pay as low as $30/hr cash or $35/hr cash. But then there are places that pay $50/hr cash. And there are also places that pay $60/hr cash. It's all about getting your foot in the door.

If you're just taking in cash 30 something an hour cash. I don't think thats worth it. What about health benefits and paying into the system, which will also help you? 30 something cash is about the same as 120k taxed depending on how many hours you work.

This is a per-diem gig for me so I don't really care. It's an extra $800 cash every month. The pharmacy is busy but it's chill, I get to wear jeans and a t-shirt, take bathroom breaks without being hassled, owner buys staff lunch and breakfast, smoke hookah with the owner since we share a backyard with the hookah lounge next door, rarely talk to patients since most are Arab speaking so if anything I just talk to the tech who translates for me.

Not my own offer but confirming $78/hr for a hospital in the bay area for a PGY1 trained clinical pharm. They hired like 2-3.

Retail offers ~$63/hr in the bay area, putting you at $130k/yr, which is pretty decent in the bay area.

wait....so you guys get paid more in highly desirable areas like sanfran? In my field, you get paid way less there...simply because so many people want to work there. I can make 150/hr working 45 minutes outside of columbus, oh. I can't do nearly that well(assuming Im working for someone else) in places like san fran, LA, manhattan, etc.....the number of people who want to live there drive supply up and those wages down.

I think he might be factoring in not having to pay state and local taxes.

no doubt, but even after including those(some places dont have local income tax...and some of the ones that do it is like 1/2%...of course nyc where sparda is is a different animal) some people don't pay anywhere near 30% after deductions and credits...

My friend was offered $130000/yr at a retail chain here in Az.

$57.50/hr - CVS in SE US
$55.75/hr - WAG in Dallas, TX
$51.50/hr - LTC pharmacy in Dallas, TX
$72/hr - DOP Position in Major Metro, SE US.... Unicorn job. Accepted this offer ON THE SPOT.

Reactions: 1 user
$57.50/hr - CVS in SE US
$55.75/hr - WAG in Dallas, TX
$51.50/hr - LTC pharmacy in Dallas, TX
$72/hr - DOP Position in Major Metro, SE US.... Unicorn job. Accepted this offer ON THE SPOT.

You were offered a DOP position as a new grad?

Yes, but is is a unique situation. It isn't a traditional Hospital DOP position-- more of a "Pharmacy Operations Manager" type position. I'm with a small molecular diagnostics company that specializes in pharmacogenetic testing interpretation, medication reviews, etc. I was on the right rotation, at the right time, with the right person... and had the right skill set, of course.

Seems really, really high, even for SF city.

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Clinical-Pharmacist-Salary-Details-San-Francisco-CA.aspx

Gives $146,xxx as the 90% percentile.

$162,xxx/year for a PGY1? Seems unlikely. But its hard not to believe confetti. I don't know what to believe.

YOU DARE QUESTION ME?!?

Link

The FT spot is down (already filled), but the per-diem listing is up ($89.99/hr).

EDIT: okokok you got me, i neglected a key piece of info in that this is a Union shop...but c'mon we're not even considering bene's in this thread so my posts are still legit!

Independent Retail in Queens, NY - $35/hour - straight cash, no tax

Is this not a one way ticket to getting struck off and stuck in the big house?