Pharmacy Intern Consultation advice suggestions resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tablet

_______
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thrilled to become an intern and to take the next step in my career. I am looking forward to consulting patients in the near future, it seems exciting and daunting at the same time. I am looking for advice, suggestions, resources that might be helpful in the beginning. I know experience will be the best teacher, but any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i remember how nervous i was when i had to do pt consultation for the first time :)

at first, i would read the directions to the pt then glance at the auxillary labels to get the important stuff like whether you need to take the drug w/ food or on empty stomach, may cause drowsiness, etc. you can also skim the patient ed pamphlet briefly before doing the consult. eventually, something would sink it and you would rely less and less on auxillary labels and patient pamphlet.

don't be afraid to ask the pharmacist if you're not sure about something.

I recommend making flash cards of the top 25 drugs dispensed in your phamacy. Put all of the major counseling points on the card and refer to the cards while counseling the customers. Eventually, you will have them memorized and will not need the cards anymore. You might feel embarrased or ashamed that you have to look at cards while counseling, but there is nothing wrong with it while you are still in the learning phase. This is how I learned to counsel, and I found it to be very effective. If you need to counsel on a drug that you do not have a card for, pull out the drug info pamphlet and highlight important points (like common ADRs). Refer to this while counseling on the drug.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd review the top 200 drugs with a focus on the top 25 in your pharmacy (like someone else suggested) and know the big stuff on those! You'll be fine :) Everyone is nervous when they start interning... you're allowed to not know the answer, don't be afraid to say you need to look something up if you do. Good luck!

I'd review the top 200 drugs with a focus on the top 25 in your pharmacy (like someone else suggested) and know the big stuff on those! You'll be fine :) Everyone is nervous when they start interning... you're allowed to not know the answer, don't be afraid to say you need to look something up if you do. Good luck!

Here is my advice as an intern myself:

1. Read the auxiliary labels and know WHY they are there (excluding generic ones such as: ask Dr or RPh before taking any meds, except for things like Coumadin when that warning becomes important).

2. Know who your patient is. Counseling Cipro for a child, adult, and senior requires slightly different talking points.

3. Talk with confidence. Use a polite yet firm voice. This is perhaps the most important advice my pharmacy manager ever gave me. The answer to "Should I take Keflex with food?" should be "Up to you. Most people do NOT get stomach upset from it", not "Ummm I guess it's like doesn't matter".

4. Observe and learn from your pharmacists (well, assuming you have pharmacists who give good consultations). One of the biggest advantages they have over you (besides experience as a rph) is experience taking with lots of the meds themselves. I can never ever give an albuterol inhaler consult as well as my rph does because of the fact that she's a mom of 3 and has used it on her children so often. Listen to the practical talking points they use that you cannot learn from books.

Good luck!