Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pharmacy is considered a great job market/outlook compared to most majors. Engineering, Business, Political Science, Law, etc. Those are considered TOUGH saturated job markets. When people go into those profession, they know that they will have to move or take a position they are over qualified for. Many people dont even get a job in their profession until while after graduation

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The fact that you all complain about having to move, or having to be creative, or maybe not getting the position that you want...makes me laugh.

Come talk to "us people" in ten years, pharmacy student in New Jersey. Best of luck to you. (I would hope your interview at a place where they've known you for three years was a joke. Why did you have to interview at all? After investing in you for three years they were entertaining the thought of hiring someone other than you?)

I've interned with a company for 3 years now, and they hired me a full 7 months before I even graduate and the interview was a joke.

Is it in writing that you are guaranteed 40 years in a week? in a desirable location? If it is not, then it didn't happen. Come back to us after you have worked there for 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont feel sorry for none of you people complaining about the job market. And most of you are REALLY MISINFORMED. Pharmacy is considered a great job market/outlook compared to most majors. Engineering, Business, Political Science, Law, etc. Those are considered TOUGH saturated job markets. When people go into those profession, they know that they will have to move or take a position they are over qualified for. Many people dont even get a job in their profession until while after graduation

The fact that you all complain about having to move, or having to be creative, or maybe not getting the position that you want...makes me laugh. Btw, clincial pharmacy is growing and positions are being added at many many hospitals across the nation. Life isnt all about community pharmacy.

The job market is competitive and while in school its important to have decent grades, get involved, network, join organizations, and apply for internships.

I've interned with a company for 3 years now, and they hired me a full 7 months before I even graduate and the interview was a joke. And MOST people that graduate are still able to find jobs either before they graduate or within 6 months (which is considered normal).

Most importantly, STOP comparing pharmacy to what it used to be. No more sign-on bonuses or getting 2-3 offers with little or no experience. Now, you actually have to "earn" your position. So basically, pharmacy became a normal job market.

LMAO...you are a pharmacy student in NEW JERSEY? Good luck...I'm from new jersey and you're in for the shock of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes there are still plenty of jobs to be had for new grads .............. replacing all the other pharmacists who are burned out and tossed on the scrap heap.

Yes there are still plenty of jobs to be had for new grads .............. replacing all the other pharmacists who are burned out and tossed on the scrap heap.

So you are aware, in the last two years I've seen more than one new grad also tossed onto that scrap heap. Too slow, too scared, all talk/no production... Once you take that position, you are judged on metrics by non-pharmacists just like everyone else, and no special sliding scale will apply to you because you have an expensive new diploma. The guys counting the money hate all pharmacists, young and old.

So you are aware, in the last two years I've seen more than one new grad also tossed onto that scrap heap. Too slow, too scared, all talk/no production... Once you take that position, you are judged on metrics by non-pharmacists just like everyone else, and no special sliding scale will apply to you because you have an expensive new diploma. The guys counting the money hate all pharmacists, young and old.

The chains are in serious churn and burn mode right now. If jobs were more plentiful I would say at least 30% of the pharmacists would be leaving my job. Also, nearly everytime I call a competitor for transfer or info and they find out it's another pharmacist they start bitching about how much their job sucks at the moment. If you're working in retail nowadays you have to be able to produce 24/7 and handle the pressure.

Also, a lot of pharmacists who graduated in the past got worked into the system slowly. They were trained well or interns and placed into slower stores where they could succeed. Not anymore, you're thrown directly into the pit and if you survive that's nice. If not, they simply push you aside and move the next person on up.

If you're working in retail nowadays you have to be able to produce 24/7 and handle the pressure.

Everybody has off days when you are feeling under the weather or not just up to scratch. This is not allowed for pharmacists though, even if your leg is hanging off or you've had a massive coronary you are still expected to pick up 5he phone in three rings.

Come talk to "us people" in ten years, pharmacy student in New Jersey. Best of luck to you. (I would hope your interview at a place where they've known you for three years was a joke. Why did you have to interview at all? After investing in you for three years they were entertaining the thought of hiring someone other than you?)

I don't know if you're familiar with jobs but there is always an interview. Whether it is a real serious one or one for formality there is always an interview

Is it in writing that you are guaranteed 40 years in a week? in a desirable location? If it is not, then it didn't happen. Come back to us after you have worked there for 6 months.

It is a full time position within the geographic area of my town. Now, Im not saying that the job is perfect and sure who knows what will happen in 6 months, but your response to my post is EXACTLY what im talking about.

Many ppl in this forum fill like its some privilege to be offered a job of their desire. I gotten like 3 responses to my post and they all talk about how I will like the job in 6 months or 10 years or that Im in NJ. That has NOTHING TO DO with getting the job or the market.

What Im trying to say is that there are plenty of jobs out there. You just gotta look, network, and have a decent resume. And it might not be the job you want but its a start

It is a full time position within the geographic area of my town. Now, Im not saying that the job is perfect and sure who knows what will happen in 6 months, but your response to my post is EXACTLY what im talking about.

Again, is it in writing? sounds like a rural position to me

ppl in this forum fill like its some privilege to be offered a job of their desire. I gotten like 3 responses to my post and they all talk about how I will like the job in 6 months or 10 years or that Im in NJ. That has NOTHING TO DO with getting the job or the market.

moving to the middle of nowhere because you can't find a job has nothing to do with the job market?

One person being offered one job after being at the same company for three years does not reflect anything about the overall job market. It is one person's story of being at the same place for a long time, and then agreeing to marry them seven months early because he does not believe there will be other options in the future.

"I dont feel sorry for none of you people complaining about the job market."

This is a childish amount of arrogance coming from someone who freely admits they do not know what will happen in six months.

I am just going to talk about this subject from my point of view.

The pharmacy job market may not be what it used to be and you can't just always get a job in the exact town or city you want to. That's how many other job markets are out there so like other posters have stated the pharmacy market is becoming like most other job markets.

You can't expect to just get an offer out of nowhere. From my experience, pharmacies are beginning to hire pharmacists that are not only capable of doing the job but are also personable and are driven.

I am about to graduate in May and I have been offered 4 jobs in writing from multiple pharmacy employers in multiple states. CT, TX, OK, MA, and from the DoD ranging from retail and specialty pharmacy to managed care. Only one of the offers came from a company I have worked for or had any connections in... I have also been asked on my current rotation by the PDM to submit an application because they would like to get me a position and I've only been on this rotation for 2 weeks.

Trust me, I'm not special, I probably didn't get better grades than you in pharmacy school. I've been nice, courteous, hard working, and knowledgable. I've used every opportunity to network that I can. The pharmacy job market still has many opportunities for those that try to distinguish themselves from the rest. Like in any job market you have to compete.

You'll get a job as long as you keep trying and try to keep the right positive, forward thinking attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)

The pharmacy job market may not be what it used to be and you can't just always get a job in the exact town or city you want to. That's how many other job markets are out there so like other posters have stated the pharmacy market is becoming like most other job markets.

You can't expect to just get an offer out of nowhere. From my experience, pharmacies are beginning to hire pharmacists that are not only capable of doing the job but are also personable and are driven.

I am about to graduate in May and I have been offered 4 jobs in writing from multiple pharmacy employers in multiple states. CT, TX, OK, MA, and from the DoD ranging from retail and specialty pharmacy to managed care. Only one of the offers came from a company I have worked for or had any connections in... I have also been asked on my current rotation by the PDM to submit an application because they would like to get me a position and I've only been on this rotation for 2 weeks.

Trust me, I'm not special, I probably didn't get better grades than you in pharmacy school. I've been nice, courteous, hard working, and knowledgable. I've used every opportunity to network that I can. The pharmacy job market still has many opportunities for those that try to distinguish themselves from the rest. Like in any job market you have to compete.

You'll get a job as long as you keep trying and try to keep the right positive, forward thinking attitude.
Very nice!

I keep on hearing that managed care jobs are hard to come by, but there are some people here that have offers right out of school! What kind of managed care job is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Very nice!

I keep on hearing that managed care jobs are hard to come by, but there are some people here that have offers right out of school! What kind of managed care job is it, if you don't mind me asking?

It would be with the department of defense-tricare with the pharmacoeconomic center. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, did a good enough job to impress the right people. So it's definitely possible to do right out of school. I personally don't like the work all that much it's so tedious and a lot of writing and teleconferencing, just not my thing. But it's definitely an awesome job. It's difficult with the gov't budgets and everything though, it's keeping all military personelle and contractors on their toes every couple of years.

Again, is it in writing? sounds like a rural position to me

moving to the middle of nowhere because you can't find a job has nothing to do with the job market?

It's in central NJ. 30 minutes from NYC. Far from rural

One person being offered one job after being at the same company for three years does not reflect anything about the overall job market. It is one person's story of being at the same place for a long time, and then agreeing to marry them seven months early because he does not believe there will be other options in the future.

"I dont feel sorry for none of you people complaining about the job market."

This is a childish amount of arrogance coming from someone who freely admits they do not know what will happen in six months.

Yes it does because there are plenty of people in my graduating class who been with companies multiple years and gotten no offer or a part time offer which is clearly indicative of the job market. Thank you very much.

But what gives the job market hope is that those same people have had multiple interviews for other jobs.

And btw i hope to remain with the company all my life. But no one knows what will happen in six months and unless your God you don't know it either.

Thank you.

I love your post and its what I've been saying the whole time.

I feel like most of the people criticizing the job Outlook on this thread is horrible for the profession. It makes me sick to go on this forum and read how pharmacists are telling students to stay away from the profession or that the market is impossible and some pharmacist even suggested law medicine or engineering ( which are all worse markets than pharmacy) The field of pharmacy is growing rapidly from traditional pharmacy roles which most people have v failed to address.

Anyway congrats on your success my fellow 2014 graduate. All the luck to you as we change the culture of this profession

Yes it does because there are plenty of people in my graduating class who been with companies multiple years and gotten no offer or a part time offer which is clearly indicative of the job market. Thank you very much.

But what gives the job market hope is that those same people have had multiple interviews for other jobs.

And btw i hope to remain with the company all my life. But no one knows what will happen in six months and unless your God you don't know it either.

Thank you.

Yeah but there are still a lot of people getting multiple offers before graduation with no work experience. I think we can strongly conclude that things are changing. But I think pharmacy hasnt even started to peak compared to where we'll be in 20 years.

Dispensing on the other hand is definitely in decline... unfortunately people do not look past what is in front of their face, which is big box retail.

ain't that the truth

Yeah but there are still a lot of people getting multiple offers before graduation with no work experience. I think we can strongly conclude that things are changing. But I think pharmacy hasnt even started to peak compared to where we'll be in 20 years.

Dispensing on the other hand is definitely in decline... unfortunately people do not look past what is in front of their face, which is big box retail.

Yeah but who's going to pay for all this new tangled stuff and the 14,000 new grads every year? I can't see it. Look at salaries of $50k in the near future, that's even if you can secure a job.

Yeah but who's going to pay for all this new tangled stuff and the 14,000 new grads every year? I can't see it. Look at salaries of $50k in the near future, that's even if you can secure a job.

Well if they do go down to 50k, here is one pharmacist who will be leaving a job open for a new grad. Once they start lowering the salaries a lot of the older pharmacists who have saved up a bit of money will leave.

That's like a 50-70% paycut. Bit drastic.

Do chains pay help pay for MBAs ever? My 5-10 year goal is to get a MBA from a top 15 MBA school.

We need to find a way to fire all the members of the pharmacy school accreditation board. Look at optometry, their jobs are safe because there are only about optometry schools in the nation. I have an idea, replace everyone with people who work for optometry's accreditation board.

Last edited:
21 optometry schools
129 pharmacy schools

Not only are there a plethora of pharmacy schools, but each school is increasing their class size every year and new schools are opening up every year.
Being in pharmacy school right now, you are in a world of hurt... and if you have not enrolled yet.. GTFO!!! Seriously, be a PA or something if you dont want to be an MD. Stay far away from pharmacy, there is NO WAY salaries will be 100k, new grads need to pay their 150k-200k loans off, they will accept 70-80k/year (if not less).

I am trying to get a day off at the chain where I still work twice a month... and I can't get it. I expected that with the stories of "I can barely get my minimum hours" I would have no shortage of eager takers for those 8 hours... but there apparently aren't any. And that is in supersaturated by all accounts central New Jersey. Apparently it's not as bad as I am led to belive.

I am trying to get a day off at the chain where I still work twice a month... and I can't get it. I expected that with the stories of "I can barely get my minimum hours" I would have no shortage of eager takers for those 8 hours... but there apparently aren't any. And that is in supersaturated by all accounts central New Jersey. Apparently it's not as bad as I am led to belive.

I have to turn down extra shifts constantly if I want a day off. If this is what saturation looks like what must have the shortage been like?

I have to turn down extra shifts constantly if I want a day off. If this is what saturation looks like what must have the shortage been like?

Remember free BMW's ??

Situation is the same here..they're paying relief rph's hotels, airfare/gas, and meals in 1 week increments since they literally don't have enough people and can't hire enough people to fulfill minimum staffing requirements

We have saturation issues here and the ability to pick up PRN shifts in retail. That is cool if you have been out of school and have a job but isn't a good thing for the new grads. A lot of my younger hospital colleagues are picking up a couple PRN shifts a month in retail. Since at the hospital we rarely have overtime like in the "old days" it's nice to have this option if you want to make some extra money. Most of these spots have been unadvertised.

I think you can have both. Saturation and the chance to pick up extra shift. The chains love per diem pharmacists because they are usually paid at a lower rate and they don't get any benefits.

Remember free BMW's ??

Situation is the same here..they're paying relief rph's hotels, airfare/gas, and meals in 1 week increments since they literally don't have enough people and can't hire enough people to fulfill minimum staffing requirements
Um... seriously? You can't figure out why they have so many shifts? Why they hire contract RPHs? Really? I've experienced that for myself in a supersaturated area. First, in one chain and then in another. It all comes down to money. The more personel you hire the more money you loose paying for their benefits, vaca, health, etc. It's cheaper to try and get the people you have working for you cover other shifts than to hire more people. Same with hiring contract RPHs. I work for a contracting firm at the moment. Many companies only go through them. I even spoke with a nurse who worked with 4 contract nurses. That's cheaper than for the company to hire full time people.

Remember free BMW's ??

Um... seriously? You can't figure out why they have so many shifts? Why they hire contract RPHs? Really? I've experienced that for myself in a supersaturated area. First, in one chain and then in another. It all comes down to money. The more personnel you hire the more money you loose paying for their benefits, vaca, health, etc. It's cheaper to try and get the people you have working for you cover other shifts than to hire more people. Same with hiring contract RPHs. I work for a contracting firm at the moment. Many companies only go through them. I even spoke with a nurse who worked with 4 contract nurses. That's cheaper than for the company to hire full time people.

Remember free BMW's ??

Um... seriously? You can't figure out why they have so many shifts? Why they hire contract RPHs? Really? I've experienced that for myself in a supersaturated area. First, in one chain and then in another. It all comes down to money. The more personnel you hire the more money you loose paying for their benefits, vaca, health, etc. It's cheaper to try and get the people you have working for you cover other shifts than to hire more people. Same with hiring contract RPHs. I work for a contracting firm at the moment. Many companies only go through them. I even spoke with a nurse who worked with 4 contract nurses. That's cheaper than for the company to hire full time people. I'm currently one of those relief pharmacists with hotel paid, but the pay is lower and I don't have overtime or opportunities to work 3 peoples jobs like I used to.

Remember free BMW's ??

Um... seriously? You can't figure out why they have so many shifts? Why they hire contract RPHs? Really? I've experienced that for myself in a supersaturated area. First, in one chain and then in another. It all comes down to money. The more personnel you hire the more money you loose paying for their benefits, vaca, health, etc. It's cheaper to try and get the people you have working for you cover other shifts than to hire more people. Same with hiring contract RPHs. I work for a contracting firm at the moment. Many companies only go through them. I even spoke with a nurse who worked with 4 contract nurses. That's cheaper than for the company to hire full time people. I'm currently one of those relief pharmacists with hotel paid, but the pay is lower and I don't have overtime or opportunities to work 3 peoples jobs like I used to.

And, the hotel and airfare isn't as expensive as what you or I would pay. These temp companies get discounts. What they pay for each night is about what the average pharmacist makes per hour. I know, I saw what the temp company pays, and inquired at the front desk as to what a regular individual would pay. Also the contracting RPH gets less than what most pharmacists make, low 40s and no benefits. It used to be that contract workers make good hourly benefits. Gee, I wonder why that has changed?

To say that there is a shortage of pharmacists because many of the retail chains offer tons of extra hours is just ridiculous. You do the math. What would be cheaper for a company to do? Hire more full time workers or let the workers they have work those hours? Also the overtime pay is shrinking. What is it now, your hourly wage plus 5 bucks? lol

We need more pharmacists!!! lol

And, the hotel and airfare isn't as expensive as what you or I would pay. These temp companies get discounts. What they pay for each night is about what the average pharmacist makes per hour. I know, I saw what the temp company pays, and inquired at the front desk as to what a regular individual would pay. Also the contracting RPH gets less than what most pharmacists make, low 40s and no benefits. It used to be that contract workers make good hourly benefits. Gee, I wonder why that has changed?

To say that there is a shortage of pharmacists because many of the retail chains offer tons of extra hours is just ridiculous. You do the math. What would be cheaper for a company to do? Hire more full time workers or let the workers they have work those hours? Also the overtime pay is shrinking. What is it now, your hourly wage plus 5 bucks? lol

We need more pharmacists!!! lol

Ok first , I definitely agree with your post and logic with regard to its application to saturated districts .. but the situation in my district is not the same. I know for a fact they are paying higher than staff rates for these relief pharmacists . Also when you add in weekly flight/drive hours that is not a paltry sum .. we're talking at least $1000/month .

My old preceptor. . In a non shortage district.. was getting paid $200/day just for driving and mileage, in addition to full benefits and staff pay. So chew on that a bit.

It's a shortage issue, not a labor exploitation issue.

Now in the cities, I definitely agree with you . An army of non benefitted temps at $55/hr all told is way cheaper than $75/hr cost of a staff rph . Reducing the amount of FT staff here is a valid and highly effective business strategy.

Ok first , I definitely agree with your post and logic with regard to its application to saturated districts .. but the situation in my district is not the same. I know for a fact they are paying higher than staff rates for these relief pharmacists . Also when you add in weekly flight/drive hours that is not a paltry sum .. we're talking at least $1000/month .

My old preceptor. . In a non shortage district.. was getting paid $200/day just for driving and mileage, in addition to full benefits and staff pay. So chew on that a bit.

It's a shortage issue, not a labor exploitation issue.

Now in the cities, I definitely agree with you . An army of non benefitted temps at $55/hr all told is way cheaper than $75/hr cost of a staff rph . Reducing the amount of FT staff here is a valid and highly effective business strategy.

Where on earth does a staff pharmacist make 75/hr?

I said cost. Which is the cost of hiring one in many areas when you look at the entire compensation package. It was in reference to a comparison between benefitted and prn labor costs. Which is also a low figure. Many pharmacists these days are making a mid $60s to high $60s *wage* .

I said cost. Which is the cost of hiring one in many areas when you look at the entire compensation package. It was in reference to a comparison between benefitted and prn labor costs. Which is also a low figure. Many pharmacists these days are making a mid $60s to high $60s *wage* .

Which area? Pharmacists up here are makin 55-57ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which area? Pharmacists up here are makin 55-57ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The west. Starting seems to range from $62-70 depending on location, based off personal exp , what I have heard from colleagues, and other threads on here.

How about applying to other states? Do employers not look at your application if you are not licensed in their state? I'm graduating in May and am more than willing to relocate, but a lot of the positions I've looked at require a license for that state. How am I supposed to know where to get licensed!

How about applying to other states? Do employers not look at your application if you are not licensed in their state? I'm graduating in May and am more than willing to relocate, but a lot of the positions I've looked at require a license for that state. How am I supposed to know where to get licensed!

Apply to grad intern positions. That's what I'm doing, but it's annoying playing to waiting game to find out if they're goin to reply to you or not.

Can you elaborate on the grad intern positions? I assumed they were for foreign grads to get hours? I assume that the pharmacist would not bother to have you in there, assuming you'd be out in a couple months.

Also, is having the license for that state, even if a new grad, crucial to be considered for that position in these days?

For grad intern they will hire you without any licenses, but give you a certain amount of time, lets say 2 months to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE. In the meantime you work under a pharmacist and train pretty much.

I'm a regular "staffer" $78-83/hr here, depending on shift. Night shift $4 more, but I rarely ever pick up nights. There is no clinical/staff designation here, everybody does everything. We are told by HR that we're among the highest $$ in the US.

PS: My area doesn't have a high cost of living either. :) Low crime, high incomes, high education levels, top public schools, lots of recreation, etc, etc, etc. It's great. I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a regular "staffer" $78-83/hr here, depending on shift. Night shift $4 more, but I rarely ever pick up nights. There is no clinical/staff designation here, everybody does everything. We are told by HR that we're among the highest $$ in the US.

PS: My area doesn't have a high cost of living either. :) Low crime, high incomes, high education levels, top public schools, lots of recreation, etc, etc, etc. It's great. I love it.
78-83 an hour?!?!

wow !! really good to hear this... :) :thumbup::thumbup:

Not California??

I would weep. I would literally weep if I could open up a paycheck like that and see my name on it.

I sacrificed my health and my body to secure the money to go to college (former military, signed a 3 year contract, ended up severely disabled.)

I'm glad you've made it to such a great place in life, and I pray I'm able to complete pharmacy school and even make half that much.
Wow.