pharmacy law question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told not to give out a 3 day supply of a control for emergency refills. But I was wondering if I get a hard copy for a III-V and the patient was saying that their lortab QD was supposed to be TID prn or something like that. Can I give a 3 day supply then to them for the QD dose until I call the Dr. . I live in FL btw.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told not to give out a 3 day supply of a control for emergency refills. But I was wondering if I get a hard copy for a III-V and the patient was saying that their lortab QD was supposed to be TID prn or something like that. Can I give a 3 day supply then to them for the QD dose until I call the Dr. . I live in FL btw.

I don't know why you couldn't. In this case, I would probably dispense the entire prescription with the QD dosing, and then clarify the dosing with the physician the next day and make a note in the patient's profile (although I guess if you think the physician would change the quantity as well as the directions, you might want to just give a 3 day supply....depending on how your computer system is set up, I wouldn't do it as an emergency supply, but just as a 3 day fill of the prescription....at least in IL, if you filled say #15 of an RX written for #30, then later refilled the #15, it would still count as just 1 fill in respect to the 5 refill limit of C III-V)

Reactions: 1 user