pharmacy law question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told not to give out a 3 day supply of a control for emergency refills. But I was wondering if I get a hard copy for a III-V and the patient was saying that their lortab QD was supposed to be TID prn or something like that. Can I give a 3 day supply then to them for the QD dose until I call the Dr. . I live in FL btw.

Members don't see this ad.

You can give up to the amount prescribed on the prescription they handed you and that prescription will make it not illegal to do so. That's how prescriptions work.

Reactions: 1 users
I would fill it as written if the patient really needed it and couldn't wait until we heard back form the dr.
Later if the dr wants to change sig, do the therapy change override for next fill , if there is a reject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, what about if someone comes in for something like sumatriptan vials and they normally get the pens. And it is the weekend and cant call Dr.. Can I give them a 3 day supply of the vials until I can call the Dr.?

I'm sorry, I meant a 3 day supply of the pens.

If they have a script for sumatriptan vials and they normally get the pens then I wouldn't have a problem filling the script for pens. I would just document on the script that the patient has pens in their profile and that they prefer pens as opposed to vials. I do the same thing for insulins.

Ok, what about if someone comes in for something like sumatriptan vials and they normally get the pens. And it is the weekend and cant call Dr.. Can I give them a 3 day supply of the vials until I can call the Dr.?
Most states will allow you to give out however much of a non-controlled substance you deem necessary based on the previous rx.