Pharmacy Recruiters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AminoAcid777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'll be graduating soon, and I have been looking for a job in a hospital setting..unfortunately not much out there if you don't have a residency..I have been contacted by multiple pharmacy recruiters, and they're telling me not to apply to any hospital jobs independently and to let them find a job for me...I was wondering if anyone has experience with pharmacy recruiters, and knows if going through a pharmacy recruiter is a good idea?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well...if you apply on your own, they don't get commission. If you know of a job on your own that you want, I'd just skip the middle man and apply directly. On the other hand, they sometimes know about some jobs you can't find posted on the internet.

I got my current job, which wasn't posted, via a recruiter.

Members don't see this ad :)
In GA & TX. I guess I will just give the recruiter thing a shot, I just hope I don't get burned in the end....

Why would you get burned?

Even in SDN, a lot of people went through a recruiter and were successful (aka liking their job).

Take a look at WVU's job e.g. And plus, you get to state your interests in where you want to work, shifts etc etc.

I've got one calling every hospital in Western PA trying to get my wife a job, but he keeps finding jobs that require a year of experience and asks ME if I want to interview for them. lol.

Honestly, some of these 7-on-7-off night shift jobs look pretty cushy. I'm a night person, you get paid way more, no management around, work 70, get paid for 80, you get a week vacation every other week. Hells yeah.

I don't think I could ever work the 7-7 thing. It sounds awesome to have a week's vacation every other week, but 70 hours a week? That's eat, sleep and work for a whole week.

Also, anyone know what kind of comission these recruiters take? Is it like a certain percentage of your salary for a year when you start or something?

Let me tell you about recruiters. They're scumbags. Ok, that being said, they can be helpful for those positions they can find for you.

Remember, these recruiters do not have a contract with every hospital which means they'll steer you to only those positions which they will get paid a referral fee for. Also, they're not interested in finding "You" a job rather they're interested in filling the position with a stack of resume's they have. So more resume they can provide for a position, higher their chance of filling the spot.

I would usually get 5 to 10 resume from a recruiter and they usually said "pick one."

Fees? They start at 25% of the salary. I usually said no..go away...I'll pay you a flat fee of $5,000....and they usually cry foul and say that's unprescedented. We end up usually settling at 10% of the salary if the cadidate looks good which is rare.

To the OP. Go ahead and get your resume out to every recruiter and every hospital. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Of course the recuiter only wants you to work with him/her only...but screw that. They're not working with you solely for that one position they're trying to fill.

Get your resume out to everyone and everywhere.

To the OP. Go ahead and get your resume out to every recruiter and every hospital. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Of course the recuiter only wants you to work with him/her only...but screw that. They're not working with you solely for that one position they're trying to fill.

Get your resume out to everyone and everywhere.
Great advice. :)

thanks for the great advice.....I will do what you said..get my resume out to as many people as I can..hopefully I'll be able to find something good..

I personally wouldn't mind doing a 7on/7off during the daytime, but night time...that would just mess me up...

7 on 7 off is usually a night shift thing, it exists so that the employee can have time to adjust/re-adjust their sleep pattern

My wife is interviewing for a 7-on-7-off evening shift (1-11) position next week.

The Rite Aid recruiter was at our career fair last week giving out giant West Virginia promotional catalogs. I thought of you.

My wife is interviewing for a 7-on-7-off evening shift (1-11) position next week.

I think 7-on-7-off might be a good way to go. I've always been a night person. And on the plus side, don't you earn shift differential on all those nights and weekends? Where I work it's an extra $7/hr for nights, and $14/hr for weekend nights. Now that's no pocket change! :D

I think 7-on-7-off might be a good way to go. I've always been a night person. And on the plus side, don't you earn shift differential on all those nights and weekends? Where I work it's an extra $7/hr for nights, and $14/hr for weekend nights. Now that's no pocket change! :D
Yeah. That would be a nice schedule...

I think it would take more than nice catalogs and an act of God to get people to move to WV - all of the above + 2 or 3 natural disasters? WV doesn't have any of those, do they?

depends on the definition of natural disaster...