Pharmacy Residency Interview Traveling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from the sunny states and I have a residency interview up north next month. I'm thrilled I will encounter snow and I suspect it to be in the 10's! I want to prepare the best way possible so that my travel experience runs smooth. The interview is scheduled for a Friday morning, therefore I plan to fly in on Thursday. Since I have never driven in the snow before, I intend to utilize the taxi/bus services instead of renting a car. I hope the snow does not cause any delays; I plan to arrive to the site early on interview day.

With regard to traveling, does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to be better prepared for the interview? Do you think its a good idea to have a small bag with me so that I can store my dress shoes to change into (since I may need to travel from the hotel to the site in boots)? If yes, do you think the site will have an area where I can store my bag and coat until after the interview? I greatly appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I am from the sunny states and I have a residency interview up north next month. I'm thrilled I will encounter snow and I suspect it to be in the 10's! I want to prepare the best way possible so that my travel experience runs smooth. The interview is scheduled for a Friday morning, therefore I plan to fly in on Thursday. Since I have never driven in the snow before, I intend to utilize the taxi/bus services instead of renting a car. I hope the snow does not cause any delays; I plan to arrive to the site early on interview day.

With regard to traveling, does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to be better prepared for the interview? Do you think its a good idea to have a small bag with me so that I can store my dress shoes to change into (since I may need to travel from the hotel to the site in boots)? If yes, do you think the site will have an area where I can store my bag and coat until after the interview? I greatly appreciate any feedback!

I'm born and bred in snow! If you take a taxi directly to the site have them drop you off close to the building. Unless it's snowing that day or the day before, the sidewalks will be either clear or trampled / packed down, where you can walk right in and not over snow banks. Then you won't need the boots on the way in. BUT, I'm sure they will have an area you can store items - I wouldn't worry about the 'change' too much if you need to. All us northerners are very used to having to change shoes for professional attire in the winter.

I would just warn you that plane delays and cancellations are very common in the Midwest so have a contact number and Plan B if your flight to the interview site gets cancelled (I was in Chi-town for an interview last year during a blizzard and all flights in/out of town were cancelled for an entire afternoon and evening). Snow boots aren't needed (frankly, Californians seem to wear more "snow boots" than Midwesteners!). Bring a warm coat, hat, gloves, etc. in case you do have to spend some time outdoors. Even though it might be pricey, taxis are definitely the way to go! It saves you the hassel of bus delays and driving in the snow. And I would just ask, did you factor in the wind chill with those 10 degree temps? Because it could easily drop the "feels like" temp into the negative digits. Ahh... definitely do not miss the upper Midwest this time of year... :laugh: I was also born and bred in your neck of the woods drugdoc and I left as soon as I could!

Last edited: