Pharmacy Student thinking about quitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinitystar78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a PY1 getting ready to go into my 4th week of classes. So far I have disliked every single on of my classes. I cant find anything that I like about Pharmacy School. I only have 2 months previous experience working in a pharmacy and am now seriously believing that I have made a mistake. I really seriously can not find anything at this point that I think I would like doing in pharmacy and get sick to my stomach just thinking about returning to school on Monday. I have talked it over with friends(both in pharmacy school and not in pharmacy school) and with family. My family all thinks I am just homesick and missing my boyfriend and I can't make them believe that I really don't like school in general. My dad and boyfriend are both pushing me hard to stay in school and stick it out. I want to quit and applying to nursing school. Any advice on what I should do?? Please help this is a huge decision and I don't want to make the wrong one. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Why nursing? Maybe finding that out will help you decide.

Don't think your hatred toward school is incompatibility with the pharmacy profession. All of my classmates (P1's) are being flooded with workload...and we are just wishing the school to be over. I mean, we want to be pharmacists, but we don't necessarily enjoy school that much. What about are the subjects you don't like? Is it just workload?

Members don't see this ad :)
gablet said:
Why nursing? Maybe finding that out will help you decide.
I started out my undergraduate career as pre-med and didnt like it and actually had the application to nursing school and an advisor but at the last moment switched to pharmacy school. Then right after I sent my application off going into my senior year of undergraduate, I had second thoughts again and checked back into nursing but again stuck with pharmacy after talking with my parents. I genuinely do not like the course material. Nothing about learning about the drugs interests me. I have tried to set down and do the hypothetical cases that the professors have already presented to us and I dont like any part of them. I dont like hearing about the patient's complaint, finding out about their problem and then trying to decide which drug therapy is the best. It is all boring to me. The workload doesnt bother me, I actually think the material is easy and have done exceptionally well on the quizzes we have had so far even though I haven't studied a bit. I just really think I am not meant to be a pharmacist.

I know from experience that we can convince ourselves of just about anything if under the right kind and amount of stress. You mentioned that you moved away from home and a boyfriend. That might just be the right kind of stress to explain why you are so miserable now.

About six years ago, I left everything I knew behind and moved to Europe. It was an overwhelming experience. I quickly latched on to the idea that the reason I was so unhappy was because of my chosen career. A friend advised me to try to let go of that idea and to stick it out for one year. Ultimately, I decided that it WAS the job, but that was three years later. In the meantime, I had a great experience making friends and soaking in European culture. It was three years I'll never forget.

Don't quit now. Run at this thing at full speed. If you're depressed, go talk to a professional counselor. If you still feel you made the wrong decision at the end of a year, then come up with another plan.

Good luck,
Troy

trinitystar78 said:
I genuinely do not like the course material. Nothing about learning about the drugs interests me. I have tried to set down and do the hypothetical cases that the professors have already presented to us and I dont like any part of them. I dont like hearing about the patient's complaint, finding out about their problem and then trying to decide which drug therapy is the best. It is all boring to me.
You dont think you learn about drugs in nursing school? What do you think they teach you? Just how to give shots?

You dont like hearing about patients' complaints? :laugh: Are you kidding me? Who do you think hears more and worse complaints, the guy behind the counter, or the girl wiping his ass? You are madly confused about nursing. I have two sisters who are nurses and I have met numerous others, they are all either depressed smokers or in a field where they dont deal with patients. You should be glad you're in pharmacy school, 90% of the people in nursing schools couldnt cut it in pharm school.

i think this is a very common problem during the first year.... we were told that most everyone will end up on antidepressants at some point during pharmacy school.

I dont like hearing about the patient's complaint, finding out about their problem and then trying to decide which drug therapy is the best. It is all boring to me.

now this is a whole different ball game all together...

what exactly makes you think would would like nursing or any other healthcare field for that matter?

JohnHICP said:
You dont think you learn about drugs in nursing school? What do you think they teach you? Just how to give shots?

You dont like hearing about patients' complaints? :laugh: Are you kidding me? Who do you think hears more and worse complaints, the guy behind the counter, or the girl wiping his ass? You are madly confused about nursing. I have two sisters who are nurses and I have met numerous others, they are all either depressed smokers or in a field where they dont deal with patients. You should be glad you're in pharmacy school, 90% of the people in nursing schools couldnt cut it in pharm school.

I'm just a bit offended by your impression of nurses.. nurses are vital to the profession just as anyone else is.. but maybe because there is a difference between LVN, RN, and nurse practicioners.... there are people there because they enjoy the career as well.

But I do agree with the main point... if you didn't like the idea of being an MD or pharmacist.. I don't know how nursing is much better than the other two...

If your in your P1 year, the classes you are taking won't be the same ones that you take in your other years of school. Which classes in particular are you taking? Why don't you talk with some 2nd or 3rd year students at your school and see what they are studying before you make a decision.

Well if you hate everything in pharmacy school, have fun. I hope you realize that drugs/anatomy/communication etc is taught in nursing school, albeit easier and less workload. Also, if you're a bit offended by his comment I guess you're going to repulsed in real life when you do, actually do that. My cousin is a nurse, I talk to a few nursing school students, even if you do go into an ITC unit you deal with the most disgusting things imaginable, sometimes very degrading. IE Bringing an elderly man into a washroom, having him explode diarrhea all over you / the floor and then having to clean it up. This happens, quite often in fact. So I really don't understand how you think nursing will suit you anymore.

bbmuffin said:
i think this is a very common problem during the first year.... we were told that most everyone will end up on antidepressants at some point during pharmacy school.

Are you being serious? Sometimes I can't tell...

Crazy_Norwegian said:
Are you being serious? Sometimes I can't tell...
haha
yes

we have a lot of people on antidepressants.... they gave us the number for student health during orientation

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be too rash and make what could be a big mistake. Make sure that you have one thing straight...Just because you dislike being a pharmacy STUDENT does not mean you will dislike being a PHARMACIST. There is a vast difference. I will be starting my P-2 year in a couple of weeks. I hated all of my first year classes because they were all just like more pre-reqs and not clinically relevant. I am looking forward to this year because classes will have a lot more clinical emphasis. There are tons of opportunities and directions which to go within the profession. Make sure you explore these options before you just bow out of school. There are tons of students dying for a shot at pharmacy, and you have a very coveted seat in a pharmacy school. Make sure you know for sure that pharmacy is not what you want before you just give it up. I would at least give it a full year before you make a decision. If you have an academic advisor or career/personal counseling services at your school, I would consider talking to someone there, too. Also, think about getting involved in some student organizations. Organizations will give you more exposure to the profession than most of your classes will.

Requiem said:
That really makes me wonder about your school, no offense.
haha
none taken
we just have a bunch of psychos!

Requiem said:
Well if you hate everything in pharmacy school, have fun. I hope you realize that drugs/anatomy/communication etc is taught in nursing school, albeit easier and less workload. Also, if you're a bit offended by his comment I guess you're going to repulsed in real life when you do, actually do that. My cousin is a nurse, I talk to a few nursing school students, even if you do go into an ITC unit you deal with the most disgusting things imaginable, sometimes very degrading. IE Bringing an elderly man into a washroom, having him explode diarrhea all over you / the floor and then having to clean it up. This happens, quite often in fact. So I really don't understand how you think nursing will suit you anymore.
I worked as a nurse's assistant for two years while I was in undergraduate and when I think back in my life trying to remember when I was the happiest that was it. I helped people to the bathroom and had them pee all over me, I had drug addicts puke on me and I still loved every single minute of it. I have thought long and hard about this, I have talked to PY2 and 3's. My pharmacy school is a little different. We dont have just pre-reqs the first year. We have four actual drug classes our first year. Like right now we have Antibiotics and OTC and I still don't like it. The only thing that I even remotely like are the pre-req classes.

Requiem said:
That really makes me wonder about your school, no offense.

It really shouldn't be any surprise. A very large number of health professional students are on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications. My doctor even told me that when she was in med school in the 80s that half her class was on them, and most of them were even taking beta blockers.

I'm P1 student and I worked as RN for 20 months. If you want to be mentally abused by patients, their families, physicians ALL THE TIME - go ahead and become a nurse. Just one example - when I have some downs in my life, I remember my nursing days, and, suddenly, life doesn't seem that bad anymore.

trinitystar78 said:
I started out my undergraduate career as pre-med and didnt like it and actually had the application to nursing school and an advisor but at the last moment switched to pharmacy school. Then right after I sent my application off going into my senior year of undergraduate, I had second thoughts again and checked back into nursing but again stuck with pharmacy after talking with my parents. I genuinely do not like the course material. Nothing about learning about the drugs interests me. I have tried to set down and do the hypothetical cases that the professors have already presented to us and I dont like any part of them. I dont like hearing about the patient's complaint, finding out about their problem and then trying to decide which drug therapy is the best. It is all boring to me. The workload doesnt bother me, I actually think the material is easy and have done exceptionally well on the quizzes we have had so far even though I haven't studied a bit. I just really think I am not meant to be a pharmacist.

I read your post and decided to chime in. I think you are having a lot of doubts now, b/c the material is dry it's pure memorization and you feel like it's gonna be too long (4 years), but trust me it goes by very quickly. Also once you hit 4th year its all rotations from there on. Yea you are thinking, well it's not going fast enough, I dread going to class, I hate it. That's a natural response, but people get through it they survive. If others can do it so can you. Let me also tell you that being a pharmacist and being a pharmacy student are two very different things. Once you are a pharmacist, if you wish to, you will never have to touch a book again. I would strongly reccommend against becoming a nurse. Not saying that being a nurse is a bad profession or anything. But I think that pharmacy is a better deal. You will be making good money 90+ per year, very flexible time, you don't have to deal with pts if you don't want to, no dealing with body fluids. The main thing is getting there. I mean dont' think that you are the only one that feels this way. Many pharmacists have felt that way at one point in their career. Also don't think that grass is greener on the other side. Nurses have plenty they deal with, that pharmacists don't deal with. Also like someone said, many people in nursing school couldnt' cut it in pharmacy school. After all pharmacy is a doctorate, nursing is a B.S. degree.

My suggesstion is to find some good friends, who will understand what you going through. Try building some relations over there, go out have a good time and find a support system. That is very important, especially since you are away from home, hate the material and are having doubts. I strongly reccommend you tough it out. Best of luck and I sincerely hope you dont' quit and go to the dark side (just kidding!).

Lata

FutureRxGal said:
It really shouldn't be any surprise. A very large number of health professional students are on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications. My doctor even told me that when she was in med school in the 80s that half her class was on them, and most of them were even taking beta blockers.

Why B-blockers, that makes no sense? Even if they had high BP, nobody would prescribe a B-blocker to a young person, they couldn't get their HR past 60-70 and they would feel sluggish all the time. I fine it very doubtfull they were on B-blockers, caffeine pills though I could see.

And just a little quote: "You shouldn't be depressed, be impressed!"

trinitystar78 said:
I worked as a nurse's assistant for two years while I was in undergraduate and when I think back in my life trying to remember when I was the happiest that was it. I helped people to the bathroom and had them pee all over me, I had drug addicts puke on me and I still loved every single minute of it. I have thought long and hard about this, I have talked to PY2 and 3's. My pharmacy school is a little different. We dont have just pre-reqs the first year. We have four actual drug classes our first year. Like right now we have Antibiotics and OTC and I still don't like it. The only thing that I even remotely like are the pre-req classes.

Pts puked and peed on you and you were the happiest in your life?? I think someone is a massochist!

tupac_don said:
Why B-blockers, that makes no sense? Even if they had high BP, nobody would prescribe a B-blocker to a young person, they couldn't get their HR past 60-70 and they would feel sluggish all the time. I fine it very doubtfull they were on B-blockers, caffeine pills though I could see.

And just a little quote: "You shouldn't be depressed, be impressed!"

Im 23 years old and on a beta-blocker for hypertension..My physician must be an idiot then..

trinitystar78 said:
You loved every minute of getting peed on and puked on? Okay, now I know there is definitely something wrong with you.

Everyone has OTC and other drug courses their first year, those are the only interesting classes.

You've already made up your mind, it sounds like. So just do whatever makes you happy, go get peed on, smoke your lungs out (we've all seen the chain smoking nurses outside) and be miserable as an asswiper. (sorry if that offends anyone, but that is a pretty good job description) Let someone who has some sort of passion take your seat, theres a few thousand people who fit that category every year.

ApothRM said:
Im 23 years old and on a beta-blocker for hypertension..My physician must be an idiot then..

Well, no, I am not saying that the doctor is an idiot. There is always exceptions. And I don't know why you have HTN at such a young age and if there is some other underlying problem, a heart problem, or whatnot. What I was saying is that it is very uncommon to prescribe B-blockers to younger individuals, b/c they depress the heart rate and make the person sluggish. Most young people who exerscise dont' like this side effect, particularly if you run a lot or do some other strenous activity. I never mentioned that it couldn't be done. Plus the poster said that her doctor said that half the class was on B-blockers, right, I don't believe that. Anyways I hope I cleared that up.

I think they are talking about the temporary use of beta blockers to reduce anxiety before giving a talk or something. The pharmacology professors at our school seem to think that it is some inside joke and that if they mention it in class we will all crack up. We just kind of give them funny looks and wonder what posessed them to be that odd.

If you want to quit , then quit. Don't let any of us talk you into staying or going. Do what you think will make you happy. If we talked you into staying and come to find out 4,5,6,7,8 ++ years from now, you had another revelation that you indeed do hate pharmacy as a profession, hell, some of us would be to blamed for leading you down that rotten, dirty road.
So look down the road, smoke a $25.00 cigar, swig down a 15year old scotch or XO Cognac , then make your decision. Once you make that decision, stick with it and quit looking back 'cause it would be a shame to waste a good cigar and fine liquour on a regretable decision.

trinitystar78 said:
I helped people to the bathroom and had them pee all over me, I had drug addicts puke on me and I still loved every single minute of it.

Hmmm. If you loved getting peed and puked on maybe you SHOULD seek out another career. There are a lot of people out there that pay good money for that sort of stuff.

bananaface said:
I think they are talking about the temporary use of beta blockers to reduce anxiety before giving a talk or something. The pharmacology professors at our school seem to think that it is some inside joke and that if they mention it in class we will all crack up. We just kind of give them funny looks and wonder what posessed them to be that odd.

They told us this in school, too. It's an off label use for Beta-blockers. People take them before they go on stage to stop their heart from racing.

No, the doctor is not an idiot. B-blockers have been used for performance anxiety for ages. No they are not depressed (for the most part), but anxious about performance.

Peace out.

Lonestar said:
No, the doctor is not an idiot. B-blockers have been used for performance anxiety for ages.

Does it work for ALL types of performance anxiety?

bbmuffin said:
Does it work for ALL types of performance anxiety?

Like before playing your flute?

GravyRPH said:
Like before playing your flute?

It worked for playing my trombone.

eunos said:
If you want to quit , then quit. Don't let any of us talk you into staying or going. Do what you think will make you happy. If we talked you into staying and come to find out 4,5,6,7,8 ++ years from now, you had another revelation that you indeed do hate pharmacy as a profession, hell, some of us would be to blamed for leading you down that rotten, dirty road.
So look down the road, smoke a $25.00 cigar, swig down a 15year old scotch or XO Cognac , then make your decision. Once you make that decision, stick with it and quit looking back 'cause it would be a shame to waste a good cigar and fine liquour on a regretable decision.

I like this guy.. :thumbup:

trinitystar78,
I have seen your post and thought I might chime in. There are so many lateral moves in pharmacy, that don't require a second degree. I worked in a pharma company for 4 years and there were many RPh people working in many different areas. First was clinical development, and the second was a med. chemist. I wouldn't quit based on 4 weeks of experience esp. just school experience. School sucks. You go to class, you study, you go to class, you study, you eat then you sleep, then you do it all over again. I have not seen where you are at, but if you think you are hating pharmacy then you should expose yourself to some different aspects of the job than just pill counter and despensor. If you are in a bigger city there are bound to be some pharma companies around, and since you are not having problems with your classes you could go and intern there. I have found many things in life have unpleasant tasks associated with them. You just have to find your niche and do well in that area. I also have a feeling that you don't feel like you have any worth while you are attending classes based on your posts. An internship could help you feel like your getting something done.
DR

to OP , I had a similar experience.

First of all, with regards to the antidepressants; I personally think its wild that a school could state (without shock and horror) that most of their students ended up on anti-depressants.

I talked to someone in charge at the school I was accepted to who mentioned the fact a lot of students took anti-depressants to cope; he almost sounded like he thought it was just the best thing ever that students would take mind altering meds. It creeped me out. I didn't want to hang around superiors who had that attitude for four years.

I am part of an old-skool of people who feel that antidepressants should only be taken in extreme situations (ie very suicidal people). I think that making lifestyle changes (such as avoiding places that make you severely depressed lol) is better.

For the past year I worked my butt off to get into pharmacy school; i applied at the very last possible minute; got in. However, I was so exhausted by the time orientation began I was miserable. I had a really hard year moving to alabama for the first time and ...went through some tough times so there was some external conflict going on in my case.

Like you, I was not overly enthused about the prospect of four more years. I hated orientation because it bored me to tears. The excessive group work was something I would be willing to hike up mountains to avoid.

I didn't want to hang around and risk finding out i would hate the classes (as you claim to) so I jumped back into my old major and planned to finish my four year degree. I did this because I did not want to waste a year; I was terrified I would end up wasting a year of my life due to hating the pharm classes. Plus I am just sick of school in general (I really feel this was one of the primary things that helped me to make my choice).

It made me sad to read that you get sick to your stomach dreading class because I know how that can feel..I guess to a certain extent all students feel that way sometimes. But if the dread is so bad that you actually hate the material then perhaps its a sign that you would be better off doing something else? I was going to say perhaps medicine is not for you until I read how much you enjoyed nursing (although for the life of me I would not want to get peed on by people ;) not for 1 billion bucks).

Anyway, you are in the school now. Unlike me you actually started the classes so itwould be harder to back out. Unless you have better plans perhaps you should at least stick it out one semester?

But goodness, if something is making you completely, flat out miserable and you have no enthusiasm for it then there ought to be better options. There is no amount of mood boosting pills in the world that will get you through four years of rigorously studying a subject you have no interest in at all. I think you need to at least kinda (even in a halfhearted way) like what you are studying to stay sane, although perhaps I am mistaken???

Either choice you make will have its problems. At least with Rx school you have a definite plan :p (even though you might hate it with a passion). On the flip side you have *zomgs* the unknown tjhat comes with bailing out.

My own life path seems very hazy to me at the moment. I am focusing on getting my degree but after that , who knows? Maybe I woulda liked rx school more than I thought but I just think four more years woulda been too big a dish for me right now. I was not prepared to commit my mind almost completely to pharmacy.

As a result of my choice I am definitely happier now. I feel I remained true to who I am as I am not typically analytical by choice. Maybe I was not the typical pharmacy applicant :laugh: I hope this helps you because I believe I went through a similar type of thing. :)

We never know exactly what the future lies in store for us anyway.

eunos said:

i like your approach to problem solving :p

Have you considered a PA program -- either becoming a physician assistant or pathology assisant? Pathology assistants in particular deal w/the nastiest stuff on earth, but they earn a good salary, are always in demand, and I know people who absolutely love their work. They're a different breed entirely... :D

I think that nursing is one of the most underappreciated professions. Even if the bodily fluids and general human suffering don't get to you the doctors, patient families and hospital bureaucracy may.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind and are trying to talk SDN members into agreeing with you. Only you know what you should do BUT I would have a serious talk with pharmacists and nurses who are currently in the field. As someone who is going to pharmacy school as a second career choice I can tell you that the classes and short term work experiences are completely different than actually immersing yourself in a career.

Good luck to you and don't worry so much. :)

bananaface said:
We had a secret SSRI club in my class 2nd year. :oops:

secret?! we've been in school 4 weeks and we've already been comparing histories and dosages ;)

JohnHICP said:
You loved every minute of getting peed on and puked on? Okay, now I know there is definitely something wrong with you.

Everyone has OTC and other drug courses their first year, those are the only interesting classes.

You've already made up your mind, it sounds like. So just do whatever makes you happy, go get peed on, smoke your lungs out (we've all seen the chain smoking nurses outside) and be miserable as an asswiper. (sorry if that offends anyone, but that is a pretty good job description) Let someone who has some sort of passion take your seat, theres a few thousand people who fit that category every year.

I agree with you man. It's the same thing with dentists man..they gotta stare into other people's stinking mouths all day long man...nasty!!!yucky yucky!! Doctors, nurses, pharmacist, dentists, you're all the same....you all think that being one of them will make you rich. You spend 10 years in school learning bull**** theories and other crap that you forget in like 2 minutes, then when you graduate you get to wipe other people's asses, clean people's dirty mouth, filling people's prescriptions and put up with their crap, be responsible for their death, wearing your stupid white gown thinking you're a big shot..but in fact you're losing your hair and you're no different than a lower middle class servant to the public earning $5000-10000 a month and slowly paying off your mortgage, student loan, auto loan.....you're a person that works for someone else earning a fixed income for the rest of your life. In other words, you're gonna be forever working for someone else and making money for them. You're nothing but a wannabe wealthy nerd driving luxury cars you can't afford to buy in the first place. Man, you guys think that making $100k is a lot of money, you gotta be kidding me...if you think that's a lot, you gotta go out and explore other professions that can earn you double, triple that amount of money.

listen up college students..listen up...especially the asian ones....erase this idea out of your mind.....GO TO A GOOD SCHOOL, STUDY HARD, GET GOOD GRADES, GRADUATE WITH A GOOD DEGREE, BECOME A DOCTOR, PHARMACIST, DENTIST, MAKE $100,000 A YEAR and You'll be rich and happy...Whatever!!!! Just do the opposite!!!

ZhengYing said:
I agree with you man. It's the same thing with dentists man..they gotta stare into other people's stinking mouths all day long man...nasty!!!yucky yucky!! Doctors, nurses, pharmacist, dentists, you're all the same....you all think that being one of them will make you rich. You spend 10 years in school learning bull**** theories and other crap that you forget in like 2 minutes, then when you graduate you get to wipe other people's asses, clean people's dirty mouth, filling people's prescriptions and put up with their crap, be responsible for their death, wearing your stupid white gown thinking you're a big shot..but in fact you're losing your hair and you're no different than a lower middle class servant to the public earning $5000-10000 a month and slowly paying off your mortgage, student loan, auto loan.....you're a person that works for someone else earning a fixed income for the rest of your life. In other words, you're gonna be forever working for someone else and making money for them. You're nothing but a wannabe wealthy nerd driving luxury cars you can't afford to buy in the first place. Man, you guys think that making $100k is a lot of money, you gotta be kidding me...if you think that's a lot, you gotta go out and explore other professions that can earn you double, triple that amount of money.

listen up college students..listen up...especially the asian ones....erase this idea out of your mind.....GO TO A GOOD SCHOOL, STUDY HARD, GET GOOD GRADES, GRADUATE WITH A GOOD DEGREE, BECOME A DOCTOR, PHARMACIST, DENTIST, MAKE $100,000 A YEAR and You'll be rich and happy...Whatever!!!! Just do the opposite!!!

Is $300,000 a lot of money?

ZhengYing said:

Whats your genious plan big shot!!

I agree with enuos. School is tough, stick with it or leave. Don't waste ur time posting. . . do something about it. . . geesh

aubieRx said:
to OP , I had a similar experience.

First of all, with regards to the antidepressants; I personally think its wild that a school could state (without shock and horror) that most of their students ended up on anti-depressants.

I talked to someone in charge at the school I was accepted to who mentioned the fact a lot of students took anti-depressants to cope; he almost sounded like he thought it was just the best thing ever that students would take mind altering meds. It creeped me out. I didn't want to hang around superiors who had that attitude for four years.

Agreed. I actually knew one of the chief pharmacists at the MIT Mental Health facility (can't remember it's name right now), but it was really outrageous how many students, graduate students, postdoctorals, and professors were in the offices needing psychiatric counseling and medication as a percent of medical claims on the budget.

I remember the first time someone told me what IHTFP meant, because I saw it on one of the banners (I Have Truly Found Paradise or I Hate This...Place). It really would make me ill to see that type of behavior repeated in a healthcare field, particularly because we are more aware of the issue. Still, life does suck for the 3 to 4 years in school.

hey trinity star, my advice is to maybe sit in a nursing class if they have it at your school and maybe shadow a nurse for a a few days,, everything takes hard work and motivation. you may be homesick, but i'm sure if you're pharm school, u did enough research on it during your applying process and interviewing process. It is difficult b/c it's an expensive education, but if you REALLY FEEL like you want to do nursing, i think u should shadow and have an idea of what they do,, they also have to learn about drugs, and ALOT of other things just like pharmacy,, you're probably still in your basic sciences and couldnt' stand that either,, i'm actually just beginning the real pharmacy courses and i just find it so interesting.. i always wondered 'why can't i just have started with pharm courses off the break?' anyways,, really think about a year, two years and the next five years,, don't make decisions just for today, b/c you may can never have a second chance. i guess it is important b/c if you have no interest in your studies, most likely u won't do as well academically and will make it even worse, not to mention (again) it's very expensive (20-30 k gone just like that in a year!! :oops: )well good luck in your decisions, but whether u choose pharm or nursing, i'm sure you'll do just fine! :)

it all depends on how you spend it