Pharmacy student, want to transfer to medical school (most likely DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jarjarbinks123

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in my P2 year of pharmacy school, and after getting clinical experiences through my IPPE's (similar to rotations) my decision changed to want to pursue medicine. I still respect the pharmacy field but these last 2 experiences made me want to commit to switching before I graduate (thankfully scholarships covered last year and this year). I know MD wouldn't be a feasible option as they're more stringent vs DO (which is where I want to go) with requirements and such, so I wanted to ask if anyone did a similar pathway and transferred out in the middle of pharmacy school to medical school and what was done? I am currently obtaining a 2nd bachelors online through the ASU/UberEats program (I "graduate" this upcoming May) and have maintained a 4.0 in my courses for both pharmacy school and ASU. In addition, I've accumulated over 500+ hours of both clinical/volunteer experience outside my pharmacy school and did research with two professors in undergrad and one currently.

This might be an uncommon idea but I really want to commit to medicine, I wanted to pursue it during undergrad but my GPA set me back and made me settle for pharmacy (sGPA 3.0 and cGPA 3.0 as well). I had a hardship during COVID that hit my GPA very harshly during undergrad (I can go into more detail if needed, but basically had to work 3 jobs and still be in school). I can also explain my EC's as well if that'll give better insight into what's possible for me. Thank you all for the advice and info!

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest problem is explaining or proving that you're running two medicine, as opposed to merely running away from Pharmacy, with the rotten job market that it entails.

You also have the worry that you will bail on medicine like you have bailed on pharmacy. So I suggest that you finish your Pharmacy degree and then consider applying to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your biggest problem is explaining or proving that you're running two medicine, as opposed to merely running away from Pharmacy, with the rotten job market that it entails.

You also have the worry that you will bail on medicine like you have bailed on pharmacy. So I suggest that you finish your Pharmacy degree and then consider applying to medical school.
I'm concerned about money rather than time if finishing my degree is the only pathway possible. Although I wouldn't bail on medicine, should I just suck it up and stick with it and have a PharmD as a supplement for my applications during my P4 year? I've been retaking the pre-reqs through my community college too as ASU wouldn't allow me because of the credit transfer process to raise my sGPA and cGPA up (failed to note that in my post but can go into more detail if needed).

I made the switch from pharmacy to medicine. Feel free to pm me with questions.

Reactions: 1 users