Pharmacy to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavy697

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone

So I am pretty sure there have been previous posts about people switching from pharmacy to medicine. I am just curious if there is even any chance for me making this switch. I am currently a second year in my pharmacy school, but I have been slowly disliking the career and my rotations were not really rewarding and I have been started to grow interest in medicine after seeing how physicians work during my rotation. I don't know if this switch is every plausible because I have heard it can hurt my chances of getting admitted to medicine seeing that I have dropped out and my commitment to medicine. I really do want to do something I can enjoy and feel confident in myself because I really don't see any hope in my continuing forward with pharmacy.

I would really like someone's thoughts and advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone here would say outright 'No' to you. It's a matter of how much do you want to do medicine and how convincing can you be of that.

Someone can chime in whether it's better to jump ship now or to finish up your pharm degree (my guess would be the latter, but I am no expert on pharm to med).

Also, you'll need to REALLY convince adcoms that you have the desire to be a physician opposed to 'greener pastures' effect that they will likely assume of you.

Missteps in Pharm school will not help your candidacy as those transcripts will become the most recent evidence of your academic prowess.
Even a strong MCAT may be insufficient to offset quitting another health profession with a checkered performance.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt anyone here would say outright 'No' to you. It's a matter of how much do you want to do medicine and how convincing can you be of that.

Someone can chime in whether it's better to jump ship now or to finish up your pharm degree (my guess would be the latter, but I am no expert on pharm to med).

Also, you'll need to REALLY convince adcoms that you have the desire to be a physician opposed to 'greener pastures' effect that they will likely assume of you.
Yup! That's what I have heard from others about convincing adcoms. I have heard, however, that many students complete their pharmd and make the switch to medicine since there have been some students at my school that have done that successfully. I'm just a little worried about my motivation with pharmacy school as I'm just not seeing a great outlook after pharmacy. Right now I have taken an LOA to think through this and my own mental health reasons, so I just want to ensure I at least have the backup if medicine doesn't work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Missteps in Pharm school will not help your candidacy as those transcripts will become the most recent evidence of your academic prowess.
Some med schools actually look at pharmacy grades? I was under the impression only a few would.

Well unlike most I can actually speak on this.....since I did both. My medical school knew of my intentions to get both degrees before I started med school. SO, that issue was taken care of. However, you usually have to give a good reason why you want to change. Like I want more direct patient care and autonomy. All grades count. 3.9 in pharmacy school definitely makes an impression. I would recommend finishing the degree. You never know what can happen and you are not guaranteed a spot in med school. Really the biggest issues for me were the time invested and loans. I would still do it again.

Reactions: 1 users
Well unlike most I can actually speak on this.....since I did both. My medical school knew of my intentions to get both degrees before I started med school. SO, that issue was taken care of. However, you usually have to give a good reason why you want to change. Like I want more direct patient care and autonomy. All grades count. 3.9 in pharmacy school definitely makes an impression. I would recommend finishing the degree. You never know what can happen and you are not guaranteed a spot in med school. Really the biggest issues for me were the time invested and loans. I would still do it again.
This was really helpful. I haven't completely left my pharmacy school so I'm thinking it through. I'm just don't know if I can motivate myself to finish 2 more years as my mental health took a turn for the worst and it was difficult to even go to school. I'm doing not so great in pharmacy school, having a 3.2 gpa sadly. I'm more worried that sticking to this career would worsen my GPA and make it difficult for me. I'm takig a LOA for a break but I'll obviously think about this first. I don't want to make it worse we're I leave pharmacy school for good and not even get into any med school. 😅

I personally know someone from my undergrad who did a 2 + 4 pharmD program and then matriculated to medical school the following year.

I personally know someone from my undergrad who did a 2 + 4 pharmD program and then matriculated to medical school the following year.
I believe those are accelerated programs since most pharmacy schools don't need a bachelor's. I'm just curious if someone were to drop out of pharmacy, but do you know any chance if they questioned the person's sudden jump to medicine?

This was really helpful. I haven't completely left my pharmacy school so I'm thinking it through. I'm just don't know if I can motivate myself to finish 2 more years as my mental health took a turn for the worst and it was difficult to even go to school. I'm doing not so great in pharmacy school, having a 3.2 gpa sadly. I'm more worried that sticking to this career would worsen my GPA and make it difficult for me. I'm takig a LOA for a break but I'll obviously think about this first. I don't want to make it worse we're I leave pharmacy school for good and not even get into any med school. 😅

If pharm school is anything like med school, a 3.2 gpa is not bad.