Position Wanted Phase 2 + Scramble: Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgrw16

Reaction score
Hi everyone! With Match Day being about 2 weeks away, I’m getting incredibly nervous and anxious about not matching. I applied to a handful of programs and had only 2 interviews; the rest denied me as if I was in their middle group (very late decline, so a good candidate but not their best). I’m trying to come to terms with the very real possibility I may have to enter Phase 2 and (hopefully not) the scramble. (My interviews went pretty well, I can’t really think of anything I’d change about them. I had an answer for everything, could make conversation, etc. and I think the only thing holding me back from being confidence is the sheer fact the Match is out of my control.)

Anyway, I’m realizing on Match Day I don’t have time to be sad, offended, or down on myself if I don’t match – I need to get my ass going for Phase 2! From what I understand, Phase 2 is extremely chaotic, quick, and much worse than Phase 1... after all, there was only ~20% of candidates who matched in Phase 2 (granted only 6 spots were left infilled for General Pharmacy Practice). I hear a lot about RPDs getting dozens to hundreds of emails that day if they didn’t fill all of their spots. I hear you should email them ASAP on Match Day with your CV... but a lot of this sounds rude or overbearing to me.

To anyone who has experienced these two phases, I’m begging for advice on how to best prepare myself! I have my CV updated, I am speaking with potential LOR writers to have a variety to choose from if needed. How else can I make myself stand out, more marketable, desirable?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Q: How else can I make myself stand out, more marketable, desirable?
A: Revisit your CV and LOI - use your resources of preceptors, other students, and faculty. You need to have 3 people revising your work at any given time; combining their edits that you think are acceptable. Those are modifiable as opposed to your LOR's. Also, rigorous interviewing skill workshop with friends. Print out some "residency interview questions" and recite the 'top-questions' answers with passion and commitment.