Phase I clinical trial MD Anderson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hemonco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone opinion about this fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone opinion about this fellowship?

Will they take you without completing a H/O fellowship? If so, it's probably like all the other 1 yr non-accredited fellowships (blood banking, transplant, sickle cell, etc)...they're looking for a scut monkey. You will definitely get something out of it (and MDACC would be a great place to learn about Phase 1) but don't count on it translating into a fellowship spot, either at MDACC or elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, it's bad........

That's not what I said at all.

One other thing that I forgot to mention was that it would give you some USCE if you don't already have it, which would be very helpful if you wind up applying for accredited training in the US.

The Phase I fellowship will give you plenty of research time, and there are people who do that prior to going on to heme/onc fellowship at MD Anderson or elsewhere...I guess it depends what your goals are.

sorry I think a misunderstood here....

The Phase I fellowship will give you plenty of research time, and there are people who do that prior to going on to heme/onc fellowship at MD Anderson or elsewhere...I guess it depends what your goals are.

The OP is a foreign-trained oncologist looking for a back door into the US system without completing a US residency. Unless s/he completely rocks that year, it is likely to be a dead end from a clinical standpoint.

please anyone else who did this fellowship? I have interview this week....

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone did this fellowship?Please reply!!!

It was a teleconference. I think ok. I tried contact with
people who did this fellowship, but no answer!!

What would you consider the value of this fellowship for someone who has finished an ACGME accredited Hem/onc fellowship? Many programs are establishing phase I programs , would this give you a competitive edge to start somewhere as junior faculty in this area?

Reactions: 1 user
any result from MD Anderson ( Phase I clinical trial)?

yes.. I had an interview but they didn't contact me until now,even for negative answer.

When I was completing my residency I interviewed for this fellowship for my gap year. I was pretty much sold on doing it and was accepted but decided to pass bc I needed to make some money for heme onc fellowship interviews and life. I think it would be great. Great clinical research experience, very structured program, and good leadership. Very cutting edge stuff as well. I was not worried about matching but having it on your resume would give you an additional advantage I think from whatever end you are on, from not matching to matching or increasing your number of interviews. The interview was intense as I met with 9 faculty and it went all day. I met some other fellows but they seemed incredibly busy. You spend your week with 2 research days per week and 3 clinic days and a heavy didactic schedule. You have 20 days off for the year, which was also concerned about in my gap year since I needed to interview for the 3 yr fellowship and wanted some vacation time. Hope this was helpful.

Dear Anemic member- thank you for your answer.

Last edited:
Anyone who did this fellowship, please an opinion!!!

Last edited:
anyone else about Phase I clinical trial at MD Anderson?

anyone opinion about phase I clinical trial fellowship at MD Anderson?
please an advice!!!

anyone opinion about phase I clinical trial fellowship at MD Anderson?
please an advice!!!

Dude...enough. Time to be a grown up and make a decision.

Did they offer it to you? Do you have anything better to do this year? Take it.

If you've got a better offer doing something else...do that instead.

If you're expecting this to be a back door into a H/O fellowship at MDACC, forget it. It might work, but the odds are against you.

Thank you for you advice!!
I just wanted an opinion from who did this fellowship

MD Anderson Phase I clinica trial-
I denied this fellowship last year and in this year they sent me email if I want to apply...... very odd!!!

The OP is a foreign-trained oncologist looking for a back door into the US system without completing a US residency. Unless s/he completely rocks that year, it is likely to be a dead end from a clinical standpoint.

The "new way" to back door into a fellowship is to enter a PhD program through UT Houston/MD Anderson. PhD programs there are FULL of foreign MDs.

The "new way" to back door into a fellowship is to enter a PhD program through UT Houston/MD Anderson. PhD programs there are FULL of foreign MDs.
PhD programs at a ton of mid/low-tier state universities are full of foreign MDs. This is nothing new. Half of my PhD class (at one of those mid/low-tier state schools) was foreign MDs, the rest of us were MD/PhD candidates.

PhD programs at a ton of mid/low-tier state universities are full of foreign MDs. This is nothing new. Half of my PhD class (at one of those mid/low-tier state schools) was foreign MDs, the rest of us were MD/PhD candidates.

I never noticed this before having worked in academia for many years, but I did notice a shift around the late 2000s. So the "standard" in academia especially at major medical centers ,seems to be slowly shifting to MD/PhDs being the primary educational requirement for "entry".

Guess it's a good thing I'm interested in both degrees too.o_O

I am very interested in pursuing a Phase 1 fellowship but in the grey zone on what the career path will be after doing this fellowship. Will it be only academia or pharma? What are the options left in case of failure at landing an academia job? will it harm if I were to come back to clinical practice at the VA or in private?

My Goals at this time: get more info on career AFTER Phase 1 Fellowship vs after MBA/ MPH with my Heme-Onc background.
My current status: practicing Hematology-Oncology for 6 years at a VA Hospital (not affiliated with a University).
My Background: None in research. All clinical.

Thanks in advance to all.