PhD in Health Psych vs. MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uzappa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first time poster with the need for advice. I have scoured the forum and haven't found a similar story or answer so thank you in advance.

Background: I'm a current MSW graduate working towards licensure. I run a small coaching side business and do nutrition assessments, strength training, and mobility therapy for movement dysfunctions. My ultimate goal was to have my own integrated therapy practice where I could do some form of health coaching (with a "legitimate license"), as I have come to know the relationship between physical health and mental well-being. Though I have learned a large amount about change psychology and health disparities, I'm finding that the MSW lacks the hard science and anatomy that I enjoy. I'm from a family without any professional or graduate degrees so I really never thought I could hack a PhD program or med school - shadowing in both fields has encouraged me to go for it.

A friend asked, "why not go PT or freelance as a health coach?" Honestly, I want to BE an eventual authority in this field and set a course for a lifetime of work. I have a desire to become a expert in health and want to start with a solid fundamental education that opens doors to gain experience.

Question: Would a PhD in Health Psych or an MD/DO be a better route? Does either offer a better degree of flexibility to pursue varied health interests? I can see myself doing health research on mindfulness, stress and depression, and the biopsychosocial aspects of disease as much as being a physiatrist, an endocrinologist, or even an oncologist. I am unsure that one degree combines both outright, but I would honestly want to do research and application of evidenced based health practices to get people healthy. Study, implement, results.

What do you think studentdoc hivemind? Again, thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you clarify your career goals? You say you want to have an integrative practice of some sort, but then you mention research. Private practice and academia/research are very different settings with different training paths. Doing research and practice in equal measure is difficult to pull off from a practical standpoint. Your interests certainly sound as though they could fit within the health psychology field (and I assume you would pursue clinical health psych specifically), but the real answer to your question depends on what you want to be doing with your time. Do you want to be mostly diagnosing and developing treatment plans? Do you want to be seeking funding for new research, conducting studies, writing up and presenting research for publication? Do you not really know yet (that's OK to say)?

I'm leaning towards advising you to follow the MD path as it sounds like your interests are primarily physiological and then how the psychological affects that. As a clinical psychologist, my focus is the other way around. I am interested in the physiological mainly to the extent that it impacts the psychological. I also think that the MD path would provide the most flexibility and a slight edge as far as becoming an expert in the field. MD/PhD route could be a way to go too.