PhD or DDS ...PLZ Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dis18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being a FTD i know doing MS or MSD in USA is not that helpful...but what about doing PhD in Dental sciences or Oral biology..anyone have any idea....is it good to go for PhD?
or DDS is the only way to get good ... i know Both r way different but still i wanna know that.... PhD is a good option or not?

Members don't see this ad.

it's pretty hard to answer this question. All depend on your interest and your career plan.

If you want to be a dentist eventually, I will suggest to go for DDS dierectly. Why waste your time in a Ph.D study, it will take you at least 5 years.

If you want to be a faculty in dental school in your future, it's not bad to get your phd first. Or apply DDS/PHD program, some of programs offer fellowship. After graduat, you can work as a DDS too.

Being a FTD i know doing MS or MSD in USA is not that helpful...but what about doing PhD in Dental sciences or Oral biology..anyone have any idea....is it good to go for PhD?
or DDS is the only way to get good ... i know Both r way different but still i wanna know that.... PhD is a good option or not?

it's pretty hard to answer this question. All depend on your interest and your career plan.

If you want to be a dentist eventually, I will suggest to go for DDS dierectly. Why waste your time in a Ph.D study, it will take you at least 5 years.

If you want to be a faculty in dental school in your future, it's not bad to get your phd first. Or apply DDS/PHD program, some of programs offer fellowship. After graduat, you can work as a DDS too.

i have 2 reasons

1. I want to go in academics
2.I want some degree with which i can work in any country .....do not want to go for licencing exam again n again whenever i go in any part of the world..... my husband is in software engineering ,i m not sure whether i will be living in United States forever or not...yeah but i will be here for some more years for sure.....so dont want to run blindly ...like DDS n DDS n DDS ....may be i m thinking more practically ...
plz suggest if i m wrong n opting for wrong way